Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

This decades “health woo”

Options

Replies

• Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Silage is fed to grass fed cows in the winter when the fields are unproductive. Hay too.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    Silage is fed to grass fed cows in the winter when the fields are unproductive. Hay too.
    Yep. And then the kind of silage becomes important.

Of course, the main issue I'm raising this is because I find it personally amusing how many people out there would respond to my question with, "grass, duh".
  • prehistoricmoongoddess
    prehistoricmoongoddess Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo Where is that pie chart from? It has a spelling mistake in the title, which makes me doubt its reliability.

Also, in regards to the issue of environmentally sustainable livestock rearing, what do the grass-fed cows eat in January?

The pie chart is in this article where the spelling is correct. I cannot imagine why it was changed on another site

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2019/01/20/should-you-eat-lancet/

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    ) I did say
    At the very least a large minority of North America is dealing with insulin resistance. That many carbs is not going to work for many.
    And I stand by that. A diet of 50+% carbs is not going to work for many with IR.

Citation needed.
    And where in the world did I advocate that everyone should eat all meat? I have argued that some are healthier eating almost all meat and that they should not be pressured to cut back, and worsen their health by really weak claims that cow gas is destroying the environment. The amount of people eating that way is miniscule. The argument is ridiculous.

It was implied that you think people with IR should eat this diet (a lot of the population) and you have been vocal in your support for carnivory in other threads.
    You want a citation for why I don't believe that restricting meat intake would make a greater impact on the environment that better farming practices would? For my belief? Because I have seen no evidence to prove otherwise? That makes no sense.

Uh...yeah? You're making a (supposedly) scientific claim. Scientific claims are backed up by evidence. They aren't "beliefs," they're "findings." There's plenty of studies out there on the environmental impact of certain foods and those studies do not on the whole support your claim.
    I advocate for the right for people to eat the best diet for their best health without lame environmental claims being made in an effort to stop them.

Oh so it sounds like you believe in the ol' "environmentalists are lying to force everyone to be vegan" conspiracy. Well again, where is the evidence of that?
    I'm all for helping the environment, but I think advocating a diet for the world based on weak evidence that less meat will help the environment, and no evidence that less meat is healthier for people, is a bad idea put together by a powerful few who are pushing a misinformed agenda.

Citation needed. Also you may be old and not have that many years left and so you don't care if the deluge comes after you, but the rest of us have to live here and the effects of climate change are going to be way worse for the collective health of humanity than some carbs.
    More sugar than beef. LOL

That's way less refined sugar than what the average Westerner eats, 25g if it's a 2000 calorie diet which is the recommended limit. They're probably basing it on that to be realistic (like if they said don't eat refined sugar on top of all the other changes people would be less likely to agree).

But regardless of any one organization's example recommendations you have no support for your claims on the environment and never have. If you did you would post that evidence.

Nvketomom is thinking there is a larg majority have IR based on projective statistics. 8% of the population have been diagnosed with IR or diabetes. But they project that 32% are "undiagnosed" which means they might get IR sometime in their lifetime if they don't take actions.

Having said that, if you need a citation that those with actual IR benefit from a low carb or keto diet, than you haven't done much research. Its pretty well established that those with IR benefit from lowering carbs.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    @nvmomketo Where is that pie chart from? It has a spelling mistake in the title, which makes me doubt its reliability.

Also, in regards to the issue of environmentally sustainable livestock rearing, what do the grass-fed cows eat in January?

The pie chart is in this article where the spelling is correct. I cannot imagine why it was changed on another site

https://optimisingnutrition.com/2019/01/20/should-you-eat-lancet/

Thank you for linking.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

Around here, mainly hay. The might be supplemented with barley.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ) I did say
    At the very least a large minority of North America is dealing with insulin resistance. That many carbs is not going to work for many.
    And I stand by that. A diet of 50+% carbs is not going to work for many with IR.

Citation needed.

This is now common knowledge.
    And where in the world did I advocate that everyone should eat all meat? I have argued that some are healthier eating almost all meat and that they should not be pressured to cut back, and worsen their health by really weak claims that cow gas is destroying the environment. The amount of people eating that way is miniscule. The argument is ridiculous.

It was implied that you think people with IR should eat this diet (a lot of the population) and you have been vocal in your support for carnivory in other threads.

I think low carb is an excellent option for those with IR (PCOS, T2D, NAFLD, prediabetes, and some forms of Alzheimer's). Some can improve their condition with just weight loss but IR is a lifestyle disease where not all are overweight.
    You want a citation for why I don't believe that restricting meat intake would make a greater impact on the environment that better farming practices would? For my belief? Because I have seen no evidence to prove otherwise? That makes no sense.

Uh...yeah? You're making a (supposedly) scientific claim. Scientific claims are backed up by evidence. They aren't "beliefs," they're "findings." There's plenty of studies out there on the environmental impact of certain foods and those studies do not on the whole support your claim.

I am not agreeing with your claims. I think it is on you to bring in the evidence.
    I advocate for the right for people to eat the best diet for their best health without lame environmental claims being made in an effort to stop them.

Oh so it sounds like you believe in the ol' "environmentalists are lying to force everyone to be vegan" conspiracy. Well again, where is the evidence of that?

Strawman.
    I disagree with you therefore I am irrational and must be in an extremist group?
    I'm all for helping the environment, but I think advocating a diet for the world based on weak evidence that less meat will help the environment, and no evidence that less meat is healthier for people, is a bad idea put together by a powerful few who are pushing a misinformed agenda.

Citation needed. Also you may be old and not have that many years left and so you don't care if the deluge comes after you, but the rest of us have to live here and the effects of climate change are going to be way worse for the collective health of humanity than some carbs.

You want citation that the creators have an agenda? Again, not sure what you want here.

EAT was set up through billionaire vegans who are animal activists. Walter Willet, long known to be pro vegan and vegetarian, was in the lead.

I am 44.

That's way less refined sugar than what the average Westerner eats, 25g if it's a 2000 calorie diet which is the recommended limit. They're probably basing it on that to be realistic (like if they said don't eat refined sugar on top of all the other changes people would be less likely to agree).

But regardless of any one organization's example recommendations you have no support for your claims on the environment and never have. If you did you would post that evidence.

I did not say cutting back on sugar is bad. I laugh at the fact that they recommend more sugars than beef, pork, and poultry combined. Awesome...

Walter Willet doesn't appear to be a billionaire *or* a vegan. What billionaire vegans are you referring to and what does Walter Willet have to do with either category?

Interestingly, it looks like his research was responsible for discerning that trans-fat, rather than saturated fat, was the problem in relation to heart disease, and took some heat for being "pro-fat" back in the day. While I didn't find anything I would feel comfortable quoting as a source, I get the impression he stresses limiting, not eliminating animal sources of food. He is actually a rather fascinating character, and I'm going to research him more!

I only had time to skim, but it looks to me like EAT is more about sustainability and environmental concerns, not health per se, am I reading it right?
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited January 2019
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ) I did say

Citation needed.

I think low carb is an excellent option for those with IR (PCOS, T2D, NAFLD, prediabetes, and some forms of Alzheimer's). Some can improve their condition with just weight loss but IR is a lifestyle disease where not all are overweight.

I am not agreeing with your claims. I think it is on you to bring in the evidence.

Strawman.
    I disagree with you therefore I am irrational and must be in an extremist group?

You want citation that the creators have an agenda? Again, not sure what you want here.

EAT was set up through billionaire vegans who are animal activists. Walter Willet, long known to be pro vegan and vegetarian, was in the lead.

I am 44.

I did not say cutting back on sugar is bad. I laugh at the fact that they recommend more sugars than beef, pork, and poultry combined. Awesome...

Walter Willet doesn't appear to be a billionaire *or* a vegan. What billionaire vegans are you referring to and what does Walter Willet have to do with either category?

Interestingly, it looks like his research was responsible for discerning that trans-fat, rather than saturated fat, was the problem in relation to heart disease, and took some heat for being "pro-fat" back in the day. While I didn't find anything I would feel comfortable quoting as a source, I get the impression he stresses limiting, not eliminating animal sources of food. He is actually a rather fascinating character, and I'm going to research him more!

I only had time to skim, but it looks to me like EAT is more about sustainability and environmental concerns, not health per se, am I reading it right?

Yeah, I like him. He wrote a book that was popular a while back (I read it years ago and didn't agree with all of it as he can be more extreme), but I doubt it made billions.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/magazine/2013/07/27/what-eat-harvard-walter-willett-thinks-has-answers/5WL3MIVdzHCN2ypfpFB6WP/story.html

I think he came to the conclusion from his research that limiting meat was healthier and is basically a vegetarian for health reasons (discussed in the piece above).
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

So it's funded by the Wellcome Trust, which had no role in the writing of the report. The Wellcome Trust doesn't *appear* to be a vegan organization or funded by vegans, it appears that they do a wide variety of health-related projects, including many that have nothing to do with food. There is no apparent focus on animal issues, all their projects seem to be related to human welfare.

Still not understanding the connection to vegan billionaires, but presumably that will be clarified soon.

See my edit. I went on a google search on the board members. Still no billionaire vegans. One animal activist who doesn't like the fur industry. When I ate meat, I didn't like the fur industry either.

Yeah, I know plenty of people who eat meat and still object to fur.

Thanks for sharing your research!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    ) I did say

Citation needed.

Strawman.

I am 44.

Yeah, the quotes I saw just now were him talking favorably about the Mediterranean-style diet, specifically including fish. He does seem to come down on the side on the average person eating *more* plant foods, but that obviously doesn't equate to veganism.