Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

What do you think about impact of the phrase 'nothing is impossible if you work hard enough' ?

Options
shaumom
shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
1. As the phrase 'nothing is impossible if you work hard enough' is not literally true (we wouldn't tell someone who is blind that they could see if they worked hard enough, for example), what do you assume the 'real' meaning of this phrase usually is? And I'd use this for variations of this idea, too - 'you can do anything if you put your mind to it,' 'all you need is hard work in order to succeed in life,' and so on.

So...what does this phrase mean to you?

2. When you hear phrases like this used, is the general tone positive or negative, or somewhere in between?

Like, positive might be encouraging someone who is feeling like they will never meet their health goals, and reminding them that they are working hard so they are going to see results. Negative might be shaming someone who hadn't met their goals, implying that they would be doing better if they had been working harder.

3. Based on how you hear it being used most often, do you think this phrase promotes a certain type of attitude among people who exercise, and if so, is it a good one?

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    It is more negative than positive for me too. I'm more likely to think "But...", than to be spurred to action by it.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I like the way Tiana's dad put it best: You wish and dream with all your little heart. But you remember, that old star can only take you part of the way. You got to help out with some hard work of your own.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Trite but optimistic.
  • shaumom
    shaumom Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    General consensus seems to be on the negative side, I think. That is actually where I tend to view it as well.

Mostly because while I have heard people say that it is used for encouragement, when they defend the idea or the idiom.

But I mostly see it in practice used as a shaming technique, or used by those who have very little understanding or knowledge of someone's experiences or situation, but seem to think they should be giving this type of advice.

I really like that Angelou quote, though - haven't seen that one before!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    shaumom wrote: »
    1. As the phrase 'nothing is impossible if you work hard enough' is not literally true (we wouldn't tell someone who is blind that they could see if they worked hard enough, for example), what do you assume the 'real' meaning of this phrase usually is? And I'd use this for variations of this idea, too - 'you can do anything if you put your mind to it,' 'all you need is hard work in order to succeed in life,' and so on.

So...what does this phrase mean to you?
    This is complete bogus and self delusion. Plus the laws of physics are a massive boundary.
    People overestimate what is possible and it sets you up for failure. It lets people think that by saying that anything is possible that those that don't want it or can't are failures. It also means that people will get easily discouraged as most things take A LOT of effort, work and dedication. It is simply not always achievable with life. Plus it many ways it is complete bogus. No way I'd ever be a say olympic gymnast. I am not built that way, I don't have the base talent to build upon and even with hard work it would have been impossible for me.

That said I do feel that hard work/training/effort to achieve something you want is a good thing. Nothing comes completely for free. You have to do something an most people are capable of a lot. Self belief is paramount, Self delusion is what comes with this phrase IMO. Two different things.
    We can't all be an Elon Musk or Steve Jobs. What they do/did is special They did work often incredibly hard but their story is also peppered with a lot of luck of the being at the right place at the right time meeting the just perfect people type. And yes overcoming obstacles too but the luck part is underestimated. Working hard is important, but it is never ever the whole story.

2. When you hear phrases like this used, is the general tone positive or negative, or somewhere in between?
    Totally negative IMO it sets up for failure and victim blaming. It basically states you failed because you did not work hard enough, which is often complete b*llsh*t
    3. Based on how you hear it being used most often, do you think this phrase promotes a certain type of attitude among people who exercise, and if so, is it a good one?
    See answer to 2
  • bingo_007
    bingo_007 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I don't mind it because "within the limits of physical reality" is a codicil my mind puts on EVERYTHING as a scientist. The phrase clearly doesn't mean you can turn into a ball of incandescent gas if you try hard enough. But it does handily summarize the truth that excellence and achievement of a great many things require a LOT of effort and perserverence. These traits are being increasingly disapproved of in common discourse now.

That is how I think as well. I think a lot of the boundaries we have are our own and we need to push the boundaries to improve and get better. I feel that there days people don't have the patience to persevere and put in a lot of effort. Not every goal is available for everyone but does not mean you can't reach your own'personal best.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with it. I mostly hear it said to children and while it's not true I think it can motivate them. By the time they are old enough to know that it's false they will hopefully also be wise enough to understand that there are limitations, as I would assume (hope) most adults are.

'You will never know what you can do until you try' is better IMO. Maybe I could have played center field if I'd tried hard enough. I'll never know.
  • jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    It reminds me of this annoying guy. Even as a child there was something that irked me about his message. Yes, some things are impossible! Accepting that is a part of life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnfFBspNrN8