How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    hartam050 wrote: »
    Fast food chains and other corporate conglomerates are able to persuade you through advertising subliminally. It might not be that you are actively making that decision on your own. Colors, advertisements, placement , emphasis, all effect the buyer. I'm a psychology major, and I just got done doing a paper on this exact subject
    I believe the Big Mac meal is number one on the menu right? While they don't want to get criticized by the media, in a society that is becoming more health conscious, they add things like Vitamin water ( full of sugar ) Salads ( that are full of hidden fats ) and Diet Sodas which have been PROVEN to make people more hungry. The number one seller , the Big Mac, is not placed at Number one by accident. It is meant for you to see it. The best way to say no, is just to not go in. .Because once you are in the restaurant, your decisions are already being made for you. I'm not saying EVERYONE is subjected to this form of advertising manipulation, but MCdonald's is not a billion dollar corporation for nothing. They know exactly what they are doing.

LOL. I work for a rather large ad agency in Chicago. We represent several multinationals in a wide array of verticals including food service, and I do not seem to remember the copywriters or production folks adding subliminal messages to any of our campaigns. McDonald's is actually headquartered not far from here in nearby Oak Brook, Illinois, though they are sadly represented by an out of town ad agency called Omnicom Group located in New York City. I know a slew people who work there, and none of them are illuminati plotting with Mc Donald's for subliminal world domination one Big Mac at a time.

I'm going to call a bit of BS on this. As I see McDonalds ads I don't see overweight or obese people in them or at least nowhere near the 70% of the US population. The people in the ads don't match what you see when you actually go in a McDonalds. This IMO, gives the subliminal message that the food is healthy and fit for consumption on a regular basis.

Just like you see attractive people in Wal-Mart ads, not the stars of "The People of Wal-Mart". They are trying to give the impression of a more upscale shopping experience than it really is.

That's not subliminal advertising. Subliminal advertising is the deliberate insertion of words, images, and audio that supposedly is under the awareness of the viewer. (Such as every 10 frames a frame flashing "eat nuggets" is in the feed--not really noticeable in watching but it's there). The thing is, it doesn't really work - there have been countless studies-- and that's one of the main reasons it is not used as a technique in advertising.

And of course commercials typically show a glamorous version of fast food. The food is carefully crafted, the customers and employees are all actors, and so on. That's just advertising. And of course that's supposed to manipulate the viewer and promote the store. To be fair, Panera does the exact same thing, and so does the "Got Milk"? campaign.

I understand it's not subliminal messaging by the strict definition. However you can't tell me the advertisers don't cast fit, normal weight people for the commercials to give the impression to viewers that McDonald's is the way these people eat on a regular basis.

Call it advertising fluff or what you will, but they are far from the typical McDonalds customer.

EVERY ad uses good looking actors unless they're doing a joke that needs an overweight/ugly person.
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    I agree that if you go to McDonald's you should get a burger and not a salad, their salads are terrible and not many fewer calories than the burgers. If you're looking for general decision-making help, I found this Chris Pratt quote oddly helpful and on-point.731gcxek6ats.jpg

This is probably my favourite post on this thread.

Instead of I'll eat the burger because I am working out, it's eat the salad and double up on progress.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cheldadex wrote: »
    cheldadex wrote: »
    Why not just stop going to McD's in the first place? Anyway a big mac has less than 600 calories, so it's not the worst thing in the world, assuming you don't get the fries and a "diet coke"

What's a ' "diet coke" ' as opposed to an actual diet coke?

It's a joke.

ah :huh:
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Fast food chains and other corporate conglomerates are able to persuade you through advertising subliminally. It might not be that you are actively making that decision on your own. Colors, advertisements, placement , emphasis, all effect the buyer. I'm a psychology major, and I just got done doing a paper on this exact subject
    I believe the Big Mac meal is number one on the menu right? While they don't want to get criticized by the media, in a society that is becoming more health conscious, they add things like Vitamin water ( full of sugar ) Salads ( that are full of hidden fats ) and Diet Sodas which have been PROVEN to make people more hungry. The number one seller , the Big Mac, is not placed at Number one by accident. It is meant for you to see it. The best way to say no, is just to not go in. .Because once you are in the restaurant, your decisions are already being made for you. I'm not saying EVERYONE is subjected to this form of advertising manipulation, but MCdonald's is not a billion dollar corporation for nothing. They know exactly what they are doing.

LOL. I work for a rather large ad agency in Chicago. We represent several multinationals in a wide array of verticals including food service, and I do not seem to remember the copywriters or production folks adding subliminal messages to any of our campaigns. McDonald's is actually headquartered not far from here in nearby Oak Brook, Illinois, though they are sadly represented by an out of town ad agency called Omnicom Group located in New York City. I know a slew people who work there, and none of them are illuminati plotting with Mc Donald's for subliminal world domination one Big Mac at a time.

I'm going to call a bit of BS on this. As I see McDonalds ads I don't see overweight or obese people in them or at least nowhere near the 70% of the US population. The people in the ads don't match what you see when you actually go in a McDonalds. This IMO, gives the subliminal message that the food is healthy and fit for consumption on a regular basis.

Just like you see attractive people in Wal-Mart ads, not the stars of "The People of Wal-Mart". They are trying to give the impression of a more upscale shopping experience than it really is.

That's not subliminal advertising. Subliminal advertising is the deliberate insertion of words, images, and audio that supposedly is under the awareness of the viewer. (Such as every 10 frames a frame flashing "eat nuggets" is in the feed--not really noticeable in watching but it's there). The thing is, it doesn't really work - there have been countless studies-- and that's one of the main reasons it is not used as a technique in advertising.

And of course commercials typically show a glamorous version of fast food. The food is carefully crafted, the customers and employees are all actors, and so on. That's just advertising. And of course that's supposed to manipulate the viewer and promote the store. To be fair, Panera does the exact same thing, and so does the "Got Milk"? campaign.

I understand it's not subliminal messaging by the strict definition. However you can't tell me the advertisers don't cast fit, normal weight people for the commercials to give the impression to viewers that McDonald's is the way these people eat on a regular basis.

Call it advertising fluff or what you will, but they are far from the typical McDonalds customer.

EVERY ad uses good looking actors unless they're doing a joke that needs an overweight/ugly person.

And EVERYBODY with any common sense laughs their *kitten* off when they see someone like this eating a huge fast food burger

ciu6eqoy6dls.png
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »
    I agree that if you go to McDonald's you should get a burger and not a salad, their salads are terrible and not many fewer calories than the burgers. If you're looking for general decision-making help, I found this Chris Pratt quote oddly helpful and on-point.731gcxek6ats.jpg

Instead of I'll eat the burger because I am working out, it's eat the salad and double up on progress.

Don't forget that creating a too big deficit isn't good either. Always provide adequate fuel.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

And EVERYBODY with any common sense laughs their *kitten* off when they see someone like this eating a huge fast food burger

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

'someone like this'? :huh:
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

Don't forget that creating a too big deficit isn't good either. Always provide adequate fuel.

Agreed.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    So only fat out of shape people, or super buff athletes who exercise 4 hours a day, eat fast food burgers?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

You mean you don't wear a push-up plunge bra and dress when you go to grab a burger?
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

Yep, you think she ate a burger like that in the last 5 years? If so, have some great land with a water view for sale.

And what makes you think that she didn't? It's possible that she knows how to work food into a calorie budget better than you do. Or at least her trainers do.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

You mean you don't wear a push-up plunge bra and dress when you go to grab a burger?

I might try it. Maybe I’ll get a burger that looks like that too :smile:
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

Yep, you think she ate a burger like that in the last 5 years? If so, have some great land with a water view for sale.

And what makes you think that she didn't? It's possible that she knows how to work food into a calorie budget better than you do. Or at least her trainers do.

It's possible. But let's face it - very unlikely.

The most simple scenario (actress that eats a diet that's low on huge cheeseburgers) is also the most likely.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

The most simple scenario (actress that eats a diet that's low on huge cheeseburgers) is also the most likely.

wait. Isn't that Jessica Simpson in the ad? she's usually one of the, erm, healthier, looking celebrity women out there.

I'd bet she enjoys a good cheeseburger from time to time.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

Only if the burger is really lucky... :bigsmile:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

wait. Isn't that Jessica Simpson in the ad? she's usually one of the, erm, healthier, looking celebrity women out there.

Pretty sure that's Heidi Klum.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

is it?

either way. she's hardly a rail-thin clothes hanger model either, and she probably works out with a personal trainer several hours a day, every day.

I don't know why it's so hard to imagine that attractive people still eat bad on occasion. Especially rich ones.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

I suspect that If I did, I'd probably get free food because they'd be paying me to leave.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

is it?

either way. she's hardly a rail-thin clothes hanger model either, and she probably works out with a personal trainer several hours a day, every day.

I don't know why it's so hard to imagine that attractive people still eat bad on occasion. Especially rich ones.

Not 100% sure, but anyway . . . I agree with you. Her workout routine is probably pretty intense and if she wants a huge burger, I imagine she knows how to make it work. It's about what one does day-to-day, not the occasional high calorie day.