How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

You're making the huge mistake of trying to rely on willpower. Willpower will always let you down when it come to weight loss. If want to avoid eating the big mac, don't go to McDonalds wondering what to eat! You know what the result will be, don't deceive yourself.

How to eat healthy at lunch? It's so simple. Just find a healthier place to eat, then call them each morning and pre-order something healthy. That way willpower has been taken out of the equation.

groundbreaking revelation right here
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

I just get the Big Mac. 540 calories. Get a side salad for 40 more if you don't put dressing on it, and a diet drink you are in for 580 calories, a not too bad amount for a meal. I don't see what the issue is.

The issue is it's pretty poor nutrition if done on a regular basis.

According to the website, one Big Mac as served is:
    540 calories
    46g carbs
    28g fat (10g sat)
    25g protein
    3g fiber
    9g sugar
    950mg sodium
    10% RDA Vit A
    15% RDA Calcium
    25% RDA Iron
    2% RDA Vit C

Not an everyday food in my personal opinion, but once or twice a week as part of a carefully logged diet doesn't seem like a problem to me.

The problem for me isn't the calories or the carb or anything else. It just doesn't fill me up for the calories.. and a burger isn't the first thing I typically want to spend my calories on when I have 540 calories to spare on something that won't fill me up, lol.

Different strokes for different folks. I have a Big Mac and I am full and find the side garden salad difficult to fit in. Often it gets taken home and eaten at another time. And yes, it keeps me full. On the other hand, I can eat a huge plate of veggies with a meal, be stuffed from the volume, but hungry again in an hour.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    allierat84 wrote: »
    I work at McDonald's. Nobody goes for the salads, I've only seen one being ordered in the last month. Maybe only go there if you've done enough exercise first to easily justify the calories, get diet drinks or coffee instead of sugary drinks and swap fries for a fruit bag.

I used to order salads there, then they stopped selling the salad I like. The others are at best adequate. I prefer a Big Mac if I am at McDs but have it with a side garden salad with just a few drops of dressing if that.
  • jdlobb
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Also I feel like we're not being fair to McDonald's salads here. I love the southwest salad with crispy chicken, and it's only 520 calories including the cilantro lime dressing. You can go even less if you get grilled chicken.

It's probably my 3rd favorite thing on McDonald's entire menu, and it's by far my favorite salad of available at any fast food place.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

You look at the options and unless you say burger without thinking you choose the salad because you know the burger isn't what you need... Go with instinct rather than craving.

The wrap is just a red herring... Ignore the wrap. It is a lie.

Curious - why is the wrap a lie??

If I was at Mcdonalds I would choose the wrap - not sure of comparitve calorie counts but I rarely eat at Mcdonalds so a one off occasion wouldnt matter to me and and I like wraps and I dont like burgers..

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,730 Member
    Options
    Dazzler21 wrote: »

You look at the options and unless you say burger without thinking you choose the salad because you know the burger isn't what you need... Go with instinct rather than craving.

The wrap is just a red herring... Ignore the wrap. It is a lie.

Curious - why is the wrap a lie??

If I was at Mcdonalds I would choose the wrap - not sure of comparitve calorie counts but I rarely eat at Mcdonalds so a one off occasion wouldnt matter to me and and I like wraps and I dont like burgers..

The insight being conveyed is that many people automatically equate wrap with healthy. Just as with salads that are full of goodies and dressings wraps are often more calories than their "less healthy" alternatives.

Since we're playing McDonald's and I recently tried their morning wraps every single one of them has more calories than a breakfast sandwich. At 710 and 590 the top two wraps (out of the three) are more calories each than a big mac.

At least that's what *I* got out of the comment ;-)
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Some days a cheeseburger is the healthiest thing I eat.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    hartam050 wrote: »
    Fast food chains and other corporate conglomerates are able to persuade you through advertising subliminally. It might not be that you are actively making that decision on your own. Colors, advertisements, placement , emphasis, all effect the buyer. I'm a psychology major, and I just got done doing a paper on this exact subject
    I believe the Big Mac meal is number one on the menu right? While they don't want to get criticized by the media, in a society that is becoming more health conscious, they add things like Vitamin water ( full of sugar ) Salads ( that are full of hidden fats ) and Diet Sodas which have been PROVEN to make people more hungry. The number one seller , the Big Mac, is not placed at Number one by accident. It is meant for you to see it. The best way to say no, is just to not go in. .Because once you are in the restaurant, your decisions are already being made for you. I'm not saying EVERYONE is subjected to this form of advertising manipulation, but MCdonald's is not a billion dollar corporation for nothing. They know exactly what they are doing.

LOL. I work for a rather large ad agency in Chicago. We represent several multinationals in a wide array of verticals including food service, and I do not seem to remember the copywriters or production folks adding subliminal messages to any of our campaigns. McDonald's is actually headquartered not far from here in nearby Oak Brook, Illinois, though they are sadly represented by an out of town ad agency called Omnicom Group located in New York City. I know a slew people who work there, and none of them are illuminati plotting with Mc Donald's for subliminal world domination one Big Mac at a time.

I'm going to call a bit of BS on this. As I see McDonalds ads I don't see overweight or obese people in them or at least nowhere near the 70% of the US population. The people in the ads don't match what you see when you actually go in a McDonalds. This IMO, gives the subliminal message that the food is healthy and fit for consumption on a regular basis.

Just like you see attractive people in Wal-Mart ads, not the stars of "The People of Wal-Mart". They are trying to give the impression of a more upscale shopping experience than it really is.

That's not subliminal advertising. Subliminal advertising is the deliberate insertion of words, images, and audio that supposedly is under the awareness of the viewer. (Such as every 10 frames a frame flashing "eat nuggets" is in the feed--not really noticeable in watching but it's there). The thing is, it doesn't really work - there have been countless studies-- and that's one of the main reasons it is not used as a technique in advertising.

And of course commercials typically show a glamorous version of fast food. The food is carefully crafted, the customers and employees are all actors, and so on. That's just advertising. And of course that's supposed to manipulate the viewer and promote the store. To be fair, Panera does the exact same thing, and so does the "Got Milk"? campaign.

I understand it's not subliminal messaging by the strict definition. However you can't tell me the advertisers don't cast fit, normal weight people for the commercials to give the impression to viewers that McDonald's is the way these people eat on a regular basis.

Call it advertising fluff or what you will, but they are far from the typical McDonalds customer.

EVERY ad uses good looking actors unless they're doing a joke that needs an overweight/ugly person.

And EVERYBODY with any common sense laughs their *kitten* off when they see someone like this eating a huge fast food burger

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

'someone like this'? :huh:

Yep, you think she ate a burger like that in the last 5 years? If so, have some great land with a water view for sale.

And what makes you think that she didn't? It's possible that she knows how to work food into a calorie budget better than you do. Or at least her trainers do.

It's possible. But let's face it - very unlikely.

The most simple scenario (actress that eats a diet that's low on huge cheeseburgers) is also the most likely.

wait. Isn't that Jessica Simpson in the ad? she's usually one of the, erm, healthier, looking celebrity women out there.

I'd bet she enjoys a good cheeseburger from time to time.

Pretty sure that's Heidi Klum.

is it?

either way. she's hardly a rail-thin clothes hanger model either, and she probably works out with a personal trainer several hours a day, every day.

I don't know why it's so hard to imagine that attractive people still eat bad on occasion. Especially rich ones.

Not 100% sure, but anyway . . . I agree with you. Her workout routine is probably pretty intense and if she wants a huge burger, I imagine she knows how to make it work. It's about what one does day-to-day, not the occasional high calorie day.

I agree that she COULD make it work but probably doesn't eat 1500 calories worth of burger. Based on my personal experience, people I know who maintain a reasonable weight (without extensive exercise) don't eat 1500 calorie burgers.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Fast food chains and other corporate conglomerates are able to persuade you through advertising subliminally. It might not be that you are actively making that decision on your own. Colors, advertisements, placement , emphasis, all effect the buyer. I'm a psychology major, and I just got done doing a paper on this exact subject
    I believe the Big Mac meal is number one on the menu right? While they don't want to get criticized by the media, in a society that is becoming more health conscious, they add things like Vitamin water ( full of sugar ) Salads ( that are full of hidden fats ) and Diet Sodas which have been PROVEN to make people more hungry. The number one seller , the Big Mac, is not placed at Number one by accident. It is meant for you to see it. The best way to say no, is just to not go in. .Because once you are in the restaurant, your decisions are already being made for you. I'm not saying EVERYONE is subjected to this form of advertising manipulation, but MCdonald's is not a billion dollar corporation for nothing. They know exactly what they are doing.

LOL. I work for a rather large ad agency in Chicago. We represent several multinationals in a wide array of verticals including food service, and I do not seem to remember the copywriters or production folks adding subliminal messages to any of our campaigns. McDonald's is actually headquartered not far from here in nearby Oak Brook, Illinois, though they are sadly represented by an out of town ad agency called Omnicom Group located in New York City. I know a slew people who work there, and none of them are illuminati plotting with Mc Donald's for subliminal world domination one Big Mac at a time.

I'm going to call a bit of BS on this. As I see McDonalds ads I don't see overweight or obese people in them or at least nowhere near the 70% of the US population. The people in the ads don't match what you see when you actually go in a McDonalds. This IMO, gives the subliminal message that the food is healthy and fit for consumption on a regular basis.

Just like you see attractive people in Wal-Mart ads, not the stars of "The People of Wal-Mart". They are trying to give the impression of a more upscale shopping experience than it really is.

That's not subliminal advertising. Subliminal advertising is the deliberate insertion of words, images, and audio that supposedly is under the awareness of the viewer. (Such as every 10 frames a frame flashing "eat nuggets" is in the feed--not really noticeable in watching but it's there). The thing is, it doesn't really work - there have been countless studies-- and that's one of the main reasons it is not used as a technique in advertising.

And of course commercials typically show a glamorous version of fast food. The food is carefully crafted, the customers and employees are all actors, and so on. That's just advertising. And of course that's supposed to manipulate the viewer and promote the store. To be fair, Panera does the exact same thing, and so does the "Got Milk"? campaign.

I understand it's not subliminal messaging by the strict definition. However you can't tell me the advertisers don't cast fit, normal weight people for the commercials to give the impression to viewers that McDonald's is the way these people eat on a regular basis.

Call it advertising fluff or what you will, but they are far from the typical McDonalds customer.

EVERY ad uses good looking actors unless they're doing a joke that needs an overweight/ugly person.

And EVERYBODY with any common sense laughs their *kitten* off when they see someone like this eating a huge fast food burger

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

Yep, you think she ate a burger like that in the last 5 years? If so, have some great land with a water view for sale.

And what makes you think that she didn't? It's possible that she knows how to work food into a calorie budget better than you do. Or at least her trainers do.

It's possible. But let's face it - very unlikely.

The most simple scenario (actress that eats a diet that's low on huge cheeseburgers) is also the most likely.

wait. Isn't that Jessica Simpson in the ad? she's usually one of the, erm, healthier, looking celebrity women out there.

I'd bet she enjoys a good cheeseburger from time to time.

Pretty sure that's Heidi Klum.

is it?

either way. she's hardly a rail-thin clothes hanger model either, and she probably works out with a personal trainer several hours a day, every day.

I don't know why it's so hard to imagine that attractive people still eat bad on occasion. Especially rich ones.

Not 100% sure, but anyway . . . I agree with you. Her workout routine is probably pretty intense and if she wants a huge burger, I imagine she knows how to make it work. It's about what one does day-to-day, not the occasional high calorie day.

I agree that she COULD make it work but probably doesn't eat 1500 calories worth of burger. Based on my personal experience, people I know who maintain a reasonable weight (without extensive exercise) don't eat 1500 calorie burgers.

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

With a body like that, she probably does do fairly extensive exercise. The healthiest looking guy I ever knew, who certainly maintained a reasonable weight for his size, brought his meals to work in casserole dishes.

The picture may or may not be taking artistic license. She might eat that burger, she might not. We'll probably never know.
    According to the Dietary Guidelines for Americans 2010, active women need 2,000 to 2,400 calories each day to maintain a healthy body weight

So, if she's quite active, and waited all day for that burger, she could wash it down with a shake. :)
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The myth that fit, attractive people must barely eat and never indulge in junk food is part of the reason so many obese people think its impossible for them to get fit. It’s a toxic lie we tell ourselves to justify our own weakness.

A burger that size is not indulging, it’s binging. The first thing I do when I order a huge burger at a restaurant is cut off a third, and hand my boyfriend the other two thirds. If no one is there to share, I still cut it in half. Better in the garbage than on my thighs. Big Macs aren’t quite so huge, but I haven’t even bothered with one since high school.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I say either get the BigMac or go elsewhere. Life's too short for McDonald's salad.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    If you're craving McDonalds, an All American Meal is also a good option. Hamburger and a small fries. about 500 calories total, and super delicious.

If you ever wonder why people are so much fatter today than in 1950, consider that when McDonalds was founded that was the only thing they served.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

ciu6eqoy6dls.png

I ate a whooper combo tonight and I'm BMI 18.9...
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    If you're craving McDonalds, an All American Meal is also a good option. Hamburger and a small fries. about 500 calories total, and super delicious.

If you ever wonder why people are so much fatter today than in 1950, consider that when McDonalds was founded that was the only thing they served.

1y9kaq.jpg

• bluevelvetsky
    bluevelvetsky Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really shouldn't eat either because one is raw veggies the other too high in fat.
  • jdlobb
    Options
    sloth3toes wrote: »

1y9kaq.jpg

McDonald's didn't create the demand, they responded to it.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    The myth that fit, attractive people must barely eat and never indulge in junk food is part of the reason so many obese people think its impossible for them to get fit. It’s a toxic lie we tell ourselves to justify our own weakness.

A burger that size is not indulging, it’s binging. The first thing I do when I order a huge burger at a restaurant is cut off a third, and hand my boyfriend the other two thirds. If no one is there to share, I still cut it in half. Better in the garbage than on my thighs. Big Macs aren’t quite so huge, but I haven’t even bothered with one since high school.

Big Macs are less than 600 calories. You have a very strange definition of binging. Even if that burger is 1200 eating that amount in one meal is no where near binging.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Big Macs are less than 600 calories. You have a very strange definition of binging. Even if that burger is 1200 eating that amount in one meal is no where near binging.

You have a very strange definition of following context.
  • jdlobb
    Options

personally, I wouldn't consider a meal to be "binging" until you're getting into the 3,000+ range.