How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options

Replies

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    UUUGGGG - read what really is in McD burgers. It's disgusting. That was enough to turn me off for good.

In the UK they are made of 100% beef...

In the US, too. But ever since the "pink slime" nonsense people have been trying to claim various other ~scary~ additives that don't exist.

The definition of "pink slime" I heard from someone who was fearmongering was just a needlessly gross explanation of what ground meat is...

bwahaha. yep- 'Pink slime' does pretty much describe what 80/20 ground beef would look like while extruding. (And I in no way mean that as negative.."pink slime" is excellent.. For [calorie per g protein] purposes, however, I usually buy the 93/7 'red slime'). ;P
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Okay...so I'm going to try to summarize what came out so far:
    1) Avoid being there in the first place.
    a) Go somewhere else where I can get something healthier
    b) Plan and prepare meals ahead of time to avoid going
    2) Damage control
    a) Limit the number of calories by just eating the burger, add a diet pop if I need something to drink.
    b) Cut the burger in half and eat the salad with it (No this isn't too sad...I never thought of it though).
    3) Plan to eat the burger and work it into your consumed calories
    4) It may have been a lost cause...you're there to get a burger so the decision does not exist and McDonald's doesn't make a great salad.

I would like to look at number 2 in a little more depth and perhaps would like to know why someone would choose option A or B or any other ideas. Pondering the effects media has had, I realized I get the fries because I see them in the picture and that is what my brain recognizes as a complete meal.

Do you tell yourself anything that makes you motivated to do something different? I'm thinking to change it up, I may find someone who wants to eat half a burger and a salad. Eventually, I will be working to drop fast food...baby steps for now.

EDIT: I totally posted this before the Chris Pratt quote was there. That is the direction I am hoping to go with this conversation. And to Stevencloser...I will give you something that should indicate I had a problem....A triple whopper without cheese at burger king has 1140 calories. I would eat a triple angry whopper, fries, and pop once or twice a week when the angry whopper was out. There was no nutritional data for that burger. That isn't who I am now, but I still struggle with fast food restaurants.

I've been doing this whole good livin' thing for a bit over 5 years now...I usually choose option B...I pretty much brown bag my breakfast, lunch, and snacks for the day and bring them to work most of the time. When I was actively losing weight, that was just the easiest thing to do to control my calories and nutrition. Back then I typically worked out at lunch as well in order to avoid the temptation of going out with colleagues or smelling the Blake's in the break room, etc.

These days, it's just habit...and even though I've lost the weight, I still have some health things that are monitored on the regular given my heredity...everything is fine right now, but where my heredity is concerned, I have an uphill battle so solid nutrition most of the time and regular exercise are basically essential for me.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My moment at McDonald's was when I started to approach the counter and had already moved from the wrap to the Big Mac. I also love the fries so I may as well go large. That's when I saw the calorie count "as a meal". I then remembered at mile seven my headphones saying "1000 calories burned". I have not been back to McDonald"s since. I think salads are over rated as "low calorie food". Back to what to get, Best case get two chicken breasts grilled without the bun or a grilled chicken wrap.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

I don't eat Mc Donalds salads. By the time you add the dressing the calories come out to more than a Big Mac. I take the Big Mac and pick off the buns.

A Southwest salad with grilled chicken and a packet of Southwestern dressing is 470 calories (according to the website) and a Big Mac is 540.

Someone might enjoy the Big Mac more and that would make it a better choice for them -- but it isn't true that a salad with dressing is going to be more than the Big Mac, at least not all of the salads.

And a packet of dressing is WAY more than I need. I like the Southwest Salad quite a bit.
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I don't eat Mcdonalds If you can make it fit, make it fit

the only burger I like is about 1200 calories. I cant make that fit.

I will say this in choosing something that TASTES AWESOME but is NOT in line with my goals or something that does not ooze with cheese and fat and salt and have brioche bread I think with the end in mind. I know what AN AU CHEVAL BURGER TASTES LIKE. I also know what sitting at my goal weight feels like. Au Cheval is not worth not meeting my goal while I am trying to lose.

the burger is not worth how I feel walking around in pants that are too tight.

If you don't know what sitting at your goal weight feels like, imagine you are there already every day! You will see it and your choices will line up with that goal.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

I don't eat Mc Donalds salads. By the time you add the dressing the calories come out to more than a Big Mac. I take the Big Mac and pick off the buns.

A Southwest salad with grilled chicken and a packet of Southwestern dressing is 470 calories (according to the website) and a Big Mac is 540.

Someone might enjoy the Big Mac more and that would make it a better choice for them -- but it isn't true that a salad with dressing is going to be more than the Big Mac, at least not all of the salads.

And a packet of dressing is WAY more than I need. I like the Southwest Salad quite a bit.

Ditto. I wish they had more options though.

I agree that I like Wendy's salads more but last time I went there, they were all out... I was pissed!
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Panera or a good Chipotle are better options, but more expensive than McDonald's. I love Panera's pick 2 menu--I can get a 1/2 fresh salad, a half sandwich and it is under 600 calories--tasty and filling.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I just get the Big Mac. 540 calories. Get a side salad for 40 more if you don't put dressing on it, and a diet drink you are in for 580 calories, a not too bad amount for a meal. I don't see what the issue is.

The issue is it's pretty poor nutrition if done on a regular basis.

We have no idea if this is a once a week thing, once a month, daily (hope not) or twice a day (please, no).

Having a 600 calorie meal like this instead of a large extra value meal is certainly a smarter choice...even though it certainly isn't a nice salmon fillet with kale salad.

The OP said McDonald's is his nemesis, so I would think most people would assume a pretty frequent event. Most people won't be concerned about what they eat once a month at a fast food joint.
  • hartam050
    hartam050 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    JustRobby1 wrote: »
    hartam050 wrote: »
    Fast food chains and other corporate conglomerates are able to persuade you through advertising subliminally. It might not be that you are actively making that decision on your own. Colors, advertisements, placement , emphasis, all effect the buyer. I'm a psychology major, and I just got done doing a paper on this exact subject
    I believe the Big Mac meal is number one on the menu right? While they don't want to get criticized by the media, in a society that is becoming more health conscious, they add things like Vitamin water ( full of sugar ) Salads ( that are full of hidden fats ) and Diet Sodas which have been PROVEN to make people more hungry. The number one seller , the Big Mac, is not placed at Number one by accident. It is meant for you to see it. The best way to say no, is just to not go in. .Because once you are in the restaurant, your decisions are already being made for you. I'm not saying EVERYONE is subjected to this form of advertising manipulation, but MCdonald's is not a billion dollar corporation for nothing. They know exactly what they are doing.

LOL. I work for a rather large ad agency in Chicago. We represent several multinationals in a wide array of verticals including food service, and I do not seem to remember the copywriters or production folks adding subliminal messages to any of our campaigns. McDonald's is actually headquartered not far from here in nearby Oak Brook, Illinois, though they are sadly represented by an out of town ad agency called Omnicom Group located in New York City. I know a slew people who work there, and none of them are illuminati plotting with Mc Donald's for subliminal world domination one Big Mac at a time.

You can pick it apart however you want. But Advertising wants buyers to be attracted to their ads? How do they do that, using bright colors...among other things. I have also talked with people who work in advertising. I offered my opinion, and you are entitled to yours.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Fast food chains and other corporate conglomerates are able to persuade you through advertising subliminally. It might not be that you are actively making that decision on your own. Colors, advertisements, placement , emphasis, all effect the buyer. I'm a psychology major, and I just got done doing a paper on this exact subject
    I believe the Big Mac meal is number one on the menu right? While they don't want to get criticized by the media, in a society that is becoming more health conscious, they add things like Vitamin water ( full of sugar ) Salads ( that are full of hidden fats ) and Diet Sodas which have been PROVEN to make people more hungry. The number one seller , the Big Mac, is not placed at Number one by accident. It is meant for you to see it. The best way to say no, is just to not go in. .Because once you are in the restaurant, your decisions are already being made for you. I'm not saying EVERYONE is subjected to this form of advertising manipulation, but MCdonald's is not a billion dollar corporation for nothing. They know exactly what they are doing.

LOL. I work for a rather large ad agency in Chicago. We represent several multinationals in a wide array of verticals including food service, and I do not seem to remember the copywriters or production folks adding subliminal messages to any of our campaigns. McDonald's is actually headquartered not far from here in nearby Oak Brook, Illinois, though they are sadly represented by an out of town ad agency called Omnicom Group located in New York City. I know a slew people who work there, and none of them are illuminati plotting with Mc Donald's for subliminal world domination one Big Mac at a time.

You can pick it apart however you want. But Advertising wants buyers to be attracted to their ads? How do they do that, using bright colors...among other things. I have also talked with people who work in advertising. I offered my opinion, and you are entitled to yours.

Diet sodas have not been proven to make people more hungry. Studies have found some correlation to that reaction in some people but can put it no higher than some people might get hungry if they have a diet soda, same way some people might get more hungry if they have a handful of peanuts, or a few chips, or the smell of a steak cooking.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    It's completely natural to pick the most delicious, calorie dense item on the menu/available to you pretty much all the time with a little deviation for our personal preferences.
    What helps some people chose the salad is the knowledge that they can drown it in ranch dressing which is even more calorie dense than the Big Mac itself. Indeed, many restaurant salads tend to contain more overall calories than their other entrees.
    When I pick the 'healthier' options at McDonalds, such as the egg white delight over the egg mcmuffin - my decision process information includes an overall caloric game plan for the entire day, as well as some accountability for myself in terms of my intake.
    Knowing that a typical value meal at McDonalds will claim around 1200 calories for my day helps me make different choices in my ordering.
    One strategy you might try is to substitute the fries for a fruit and yogurt parfait or side salad.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I would choose a McDonald's salad over a Big Mac, but I would certainly choose a good café that serves salads over McDonald's.
  • AlienDuchess
    AlienDuchess Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Probably not helpful but maybe just stop going to McDonald's all together? If you have to go just look at the calories on your phone while you wait in line that alone should make you want to leave asap.
  • allierat84
    allierat84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I work at McDonald's. Nobody goes for the salads, I've only seen one being ordered in the last month. Maybe only go there if you've done enough exercise first to easily justify the calories, get diet drinks or coffee instead of sugary drinks and swap fries for a fruit bag.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

I'm going to call a bit of BS on this. As I see McDonalds ads I don't see overweight or obese people in them or at least nowhere near the 70% of the US population. The people in the ads don't match what you see when you actually go in a McDonalds. This IMO, gives the subliminal message that the food is healthy and fit for consumption on a regular basis.

Just like you see attractive people in Wal-Mart ads, not the stars of "The People of Wal-Mart". They are trying to give the impression of a more upscale shopping experience than it really is.

That's not subliminal advertising. Subliminal advertising is the deliberate insertion of words, images, and audio that supposedly is under the awareness of the viewer. (Such as every 10 frames a frame flashing "eat nuggets" is in the feed--not really noticeable in watching but it's there). The thing is, it doesn't really work - there have been countless studies-- and that's one of the main reasons it is not used as a technique in advertising.

And of course commercials typically show a glamorous version of fast food. The food is carefully crafted, the customers and employees are all actors, and so on. That's just advertising. And of course that's supposed to manipulate the viewer and promote the store. To be fair, Panera does the exact same thing, and so does the "Got Milk"? campaign.

Seriously. Marketing and creating a desirable atmosphere is not subliminal advertising.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I'm going to call a bit of BS on this. As I see McDonalds ads I don't see overweight or obese people in them or at least nowhere near the 70% of the US population. The people in the ads don't match what you see when you actually go in a McDonalds. This IMO, gives the subliminal message that the food is healthy and fit for consumption on a regular basis.

Just like you see attractive people in Wal-Mart ads, not the stars of "The People of Wal-Mart". They are trying to give the impression of a more upscale shopping experience than it really is.

No form of advertising, that I'm aware of, features actors that look like the actual array of people you encounter in real life. This isn't subliminal advertising, it's just advertising.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

No form of advertising, that I'm aware of, features actors that look like the actual array of people you encounter in real life. This isn't subliminal advertising, it's just advertising.

Even non-profit "manipulate" with their campaign by use of color, imagery, and words. That's the whole point of advertising; to make something more attractive to the consumer.