How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options

Replies

• lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    I think there are some people who are "regular" McDonald's customers who have not had a good burger before. But we could debate all day about it. People are different, and obviously some people like the taste of them. The closest one near me closed a few years ago--and it was in a train station. The other alternatives were more appealing to people I guess--deli sandwiches, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Taco Bell and Pizza!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »
    If one just cooks a burger at home made with fresh meat, they will NOT want to go to McDonald's in the USA.

People keep saying stuff like this as if no regular McDonald's customer has ever had a good burger before...

My partner made an amazing burger yesterday, it was great but 3 hours later I wanted a big mac not a burger but a big Mac. I think when people eat at McDonald's it's because that's what they want.
  • NorthernLights1985
    NorthernLights1985 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Wow many comment. Well I think that if you crave junk like McDonald´s then you you don´t have healthy diet in general, am I right? Have you ever eaten fresh veggies two times a day with your meals, over a period of time? I used to crave junk for every meal but I´d never had a normal diet, so when my diet went from junk to home made with fresh veggies every time for about seven months, the cravings for junk stopped and it actually started to repel me.
    How I went about the change is I got a job at a farm and got two meals a day cooked for me by a chef... and this was in the country so there were no fast food places. That was a game changer for me to eat normal every day, for the first time in my life. Never went back to the old habits and lost a lot of weight.

I eat vegetables with dinner most nights.

I dont have cravings for junk food but every now and then I like to eat what you call junk.
    you know, variety in a balanced diet.

Mcdonalds isnt my favourite place but if I were there for some reason - eg friends wanted to go there, was only place open, whatever - then i would get the Mcwrap - I dont know if it is lower calorie but I like wraps and I dont like their salad and I dont eat burgers

My point exactly. If a person is struggling to pick the salat over the burger then it´s most likely not "once in a while" is it? I sometimes eat junk too, just like every one else. I don´t struggle with it... and never eat at MacDonald´s, it´s awful. Fried chicken is much better :p

The thing is, almost nobody wants to eat a McDonald's salad, regardless. I'd have trouble choosing if my only options were that vs. the melted milkshake that dried on the side of the trash can. You're nmaking a pretty unfair assumption.

Looks like ppl who were not raised on MacDonald´s don´t like it very much.
    http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/eat_and_drink/2016/08/23/mcdonald_s_not_on_their_way_to_iceland/
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Tad off topic - but I thought Super Size me was an interesting film - not because it showed eating exclusively Mcdonalds super sizes at huge calorie surplus made one gain weight - I mean, derrr, obviously it would - but because it showed how the industry up sells and pushing this contributes to people making bad choices.
    Yes i know we can all say No but considering advertising influences was interesting .
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

Damn... add it to the list of things I blame my parents for.

BriskTenseJunebug.gif

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I thought Super Size me was an interesting film

I did, too. More amusing than interesting perhaps. But, I definitely found it entertaining.

• PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Wow many comment. Well I think that if you crave junk like McDonald´s then you you don´t have healthy diet in general, am I right? Have you ever eaten fresh veggies two times a day with your meals, over a period of time? I used to crave junk for every meal but I´d never had a normal diet, so when my diet went from junk to home made with fresh veggies every time for about seven months, the cravings for junk stopped and it actually started to repel me.
    How I went about the change is I got a job at a farm and got two meals a day cooked for me by a chef... and this was in the country so there were no fast food places. That was a game changer for me to eat normal every day, for the first time in my life. Never went back to the old habits and lost a lot of weight.

I eat vegetables with dinner most nights.

I dont have cravings for junk food but every now and then I like to eat what you call junk.
    you know, variety in a balanced diet.

Mcdonalds isnt my favourite place but if I were there for some reason - eg friends wanted to go there, was only place open, whatever - then i would get the Mcwrap - I dont know if it is lower calorie but I like wraps and I dont like their salad and I dont eat burgers

My point exactly. If a person is struggling to pick the salat over the burger then it´s most likely not "once in a while" is it? I sometimes eat junk too, just like every one else. I don´t struggle with it... and never eat at MacDonald´s, it´s awful. Fried chicken is much better :p

The thing is, almost nobody wants to eat a McDonald's salad, regardless. I'd have trouble choosing if my only options were that vs. the melted milkshake that dried on the side of the trash can. You're nmaking a pretty unfair assumption.

http://icelandmonitor.mbl.is/news/eat_and_drink/2016/08/23/mcdonald_s_not_on_their_way_to_iceland/

I wasn't "raised on it." We made our parents fuming mad with begging every time we drove by a McDonald's. It was definitely a rare occasion to be blessed with chicken nuggets and sweet & sour sauce. I didn't consume it on any regular basis until I got my driver's license at age 18.
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Don't go to McDonald's frequently. Have a big mac when you do. Simple.
  • batters1964
    batters1964 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a Big Mac twice this year (as opposed to almost weekly) and each time loved it, and had enough exercise calories to include it. If I wanted a salad I wouldn't go to McDonald's.

But blimey it doesn't half taste of sugar of fat!
  • smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Zyvi wrote: »
    I think it's your personal preferences. For me, a salad will always be more appealing than a burger for a few reasons:
    1. I like crunchy things better than soft things (it's why I like lettuce or chips on sandwiches)
    2. I like cold food better than hot.
    3. On a normal day (when I am not counting calories... so those days are over for a few months) the following reason won't matter, but it does now: I won't regret the salad later (if I add the healthy stuff to it), like I would the burger.

I have no idea if the above will help you or not, but I do know that it takes just a few weeks to develop a liking for new foods and possibly a disliking to old foods you used to love. Except cheese, darn addictive stuff right there.

Why would you regret anything if you have the calories for It?

I had nuggets from Maccys yesterday. And a *kitten* load of gin. Ate low enough calories in the week to allow for it and didn't go over my goal for Saturday. The only regret I have is the Hangover!