How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options

Replies

• stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    I agree that if you go to McDonald's you should get a burger and not a salad, their salads are terrible and not many fewer calories than the burgers. If you're looking for general decision-making help, I found this Chris Pratt quote oddly helpful and on-point.731gcxek6ats.jpg

I want to know what burger with 1200 calories he's talking about. And eat it.

Ever heard of The Habit? Check out their nutrtional facts.....

I have not heard of them. But I looked at their nutrition facts and there's no single item that breaks 1000.

https://www.habitburger.com/wp-content/uploads/Habit-Nutritional-Data-21140614-2.pdf
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I would skip McD's entirely. I think if you can break that bond long enough, you'll find it wasn't as good as you thought it was.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    Back when I was getting my lunch every day from McD, my decision process management had one word, "Money". For $2.16 I could get a chicken sandwich and a side salad. I did that each day. During that time, I was not trying to lose weight. I was just going about my life trying not to spend 'too much' on food.

IMO the problem is that you're in the wrong place. If you want to make it easier to chose a salad, you need to be in front of a menu where there are actually GOOD salads on the menu. Otherwise you're pushing a boulder up hill.

True--but cheap food is very rarely healthy food. It's really hard to eat in a healthy way if money is really tight. (Yes, not impossible. But really, really hard for most individuals in such a scenario.) And if you're forced to eat cheap prepared food, (and there are people that this is best option given circumstances) you probably are not eating at a place with good salads.

The point here was this person CHOSE to eat a chicken sandwich/salad combo instead of something else...that was really the point. I think.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

I just get the Big Mac. 540 calories. Get a side salad for 40 more if you don't put dressing on it, and a diet drink you are in for 580 calories, a not too bad amount for a meal. I don't see what the issue is.

The issue is it's pretty poor nutrition if done on a regular basis.

We have no idea if this is a once a week thing, once a month, daily (hope not) or twice a day (please, no).

Having a 600 calorie meal like this instead of a large extra value meal is certainly a smarter choice...even though it certainly isn't a nice salmon fillet with kale salad.
  • Sarahb29
    Sarahb29 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

I don't eat Mc Donalds salads. By the time you add the dressing the calories come out to more than a Big Mac. I take the Big Mac and pick off the buns.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I just get the Big Mac. 540 calories. Get a side salad for 40 more if you don't put dressing on it, and a diet drink you are in for 580 calories, a not too bad amount for a meal. I don't see what the issue is.

According to the website, one Big Mac as served is:
    540 calories
    46g carbs
    28g fat (10g sat)
    25g protein
    3g fiber
    9g sugar
    950mg sodium
    10% RDA Vit A
    15% RDA Calcium
    25% RDA Iron
    2% RDA Vit C

Not an everyday food in my personal opinion, but once or twice a week as part of a carefully logged diet doesn't seem like a problem to me.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    It's hard for me, too, so I choose both. I'll have a regular cheeseburger and a side salad.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    The only time I eat at McDonald's is if I am starving, and have no other options - no time or traveling. Or if I had too much to drink the night before. (DC and a doublecheeseburger has always been my hangover recovery food.) Although that is not something that happens much anymore - probably been 2 years since I had that hankering. Oh, I did always stop and have a sausage McMuffin at 4am, before my half-marathons. That was sort of a tradition then.

In any event, I have no issues with eating or choosing food at McDonalds, because normally, I am never eating there.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

540 calories
    46g carbs
    28g fat (10g sat)
    25g protein
    3g fiber
    9g sugar
    950mg sodium
    10% RDA Vit A
    15% RDA Calcium
    25% RDA Iron
    2% RDA Vit C

Not an everyday food in my personal opinion, but once or twice a week as part of a carefully logged diet doesn't seem like a problem to me.

The problem for me isn't the calories or the carb or anything else. It just doesn't fill me up for the calories.. and a burger isn't the first thing I typically want to spend my calories on when I have 540 calories to spare on something that won't fill me up, lol.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Sarahb29 wrote: »

I don't eat Mc Donalds salads. By the time you add the dressing the calories come out to more than a Big Mac. I take the Big Mac and pick off the buns.

A Southwest salad with grilled chicken and a packet of Southwestern dressing is 470 calories (according to the website) and a Big Mac is 540.

Someone might enjoy the Big Mac more and that would make it a better choice for them -- but it isn't true that a salad with dressing is going to be more than the Big Mac, at least not all of the salads.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread, but Wendy's has way better salads.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the entire thread, but Wendy's has way better salads.

Definitely....
  • Johns_Dope_AF
    Johns_Dope_AF Posts: 460 Member
    Options

you are choosing the food you want over the food that will help you achieve your goals. I have done this a million times now I just remember.

5rc7zh1aeonx.jpg
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Panera, Wendy's and chick-fil-a all have pretty awesome salad options, btw. And the light balsamic dressing from cfa is on point.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Okay...so I'm going to try to summarize what came out so far:
    1) Avoid being there in the first place.
    a) Go somewhere else where I can get something healthier
    b) Plan and prepare meals ahead of time to avoid going
    2) Damage control
    a) Limit the number of calories by just eating the burger, add a diet pop if I need something to drink.
    b) Cut the burger in half and eat the salad with it (No this isn't too sad...I never thought of it though).
    3) Plan to eat the burger and work it into your consumed calories
    4) It may have been a lost cause...you're there to get a burger so the decision does not exist and McDonald's doesn't make a great salad.

I would like to look at number 2 in a little more depth and perhaps would like to know why someone would choose option A or B or any other ideas. Pondering the effects media has had, I realized I get the fries because I see them in the picture and that is what my brain recognizes as a complete meal.

Do you tell yourself anything that makes you motivated to do something different? I'm thinking to change it up, I may find someone who wants to eat half a burger and a salad. Eventually, I will be working to drop fast food...baby steps for now.

EDIT: I totally posted this before the Chris Pratt quote was there. That is the direction I am hoping to go with this conversation. And to Stevencloser...I will give you something that should indicate I had a problem....A triple whopper without cheese at burger king has 1140 calories. I would eat a triple angry whopper, fries, and pop once or twice a week when the angry whopper was out. There was no nutritional data for that burger. That isn't who I am now, but I still struggle with fast food restaurants.

Skimmed through p. 3 & didn't want to read anymore, so sorry if this has been touched on.
    Really, truly, honestly... how likely is it you would only eat 1/2 the Big Mac with the rest of it staring you in the face?

5) Be realistic ;)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    kimny72 wrote: »

540 calories
    46g carbs
    28g fat (10g sat)
    25g protein
    3g fiber
    9g sugar
    950mg sodium
    10% RDA Vit A
    15% RDA Calcium
    25% RDA Iron
    2% RDA Vit C

The problem for me isn't the calories or the carb or anything else. It just doesn't fill me up for the calories.. and a burger isn't the first thing I typically want to spend my calories on when I have 540 calories to spare on something that won't fill me up, lol.

Oh yeah, if you're going to be hungry an hour later, totally not worth it. I find it pretty filling though!

On a lark, I got the new crispy chicken quesadilla at Taco Bell. It was actually a few more cals than a Big Mac and I'm sure worse nutritionally (basically flat breaded chicken nuggets and cheese in a tortilla, lol) but I was full for hours.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

..Or save half for another meal.

..Or order a smaller burger/cheeseburger. To the right of the picture menu full of super-high calorie 'meals' is the dollar menu with options having more reasonable calorie counts. The burger, cheeseburger, double cheeseburger are, if memory serves, $0.80-$1.20ish and probably significantly fewer calories than the Big Mac (but may still satisfy your burger craving unlike a wrap or salad). There is also a 'value' size fry.

Plan ahead before you get there for ~ how many calories you wish to spend on that meal...The calorie counts will be listed on their website.

Salads aren't necessarily lower calorie options - the cheese, croutons, dressing, nuts, etc (ie all the tasty bits) are all calorie dense.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

If this were me, and it was this much of an issue I'd remove myself from the temptation.

I'm personally not a huge salad person...I like them occasionally, but it's not typically something I go for...I'd only decide on the salad if I was feeling like a salad that day. I also like Wendy's salads better in terms of fast food salads...but still, we're talking about a handful of times per year that I would do that.

You'll also likely find that the calorie difference between getting a salad and getting a burger is pretty negligible depending on the burger...

I don't remember the last time I ate McDonalds, so McDonalds isn't really an issue for me...but I love a Blake's double cheese and green chile burger with their seasoned fries...it's a calorie bomb, so it's an infrequent indulgence, but sometimes I just have to go...it's just pretty rare these days when it used to be at least a 3x per week favorite...now maybe 3-4 times per year.