How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

No McDonald's where I live, so it isn't really a problem for me. Other fast food restaurants around, but that isn't my preferred way of life. Most of my meals are prepared and eaten at home.

So my thought process at rare visits to a fast food restaurant is usually to buy the very smallest cheapest meal possible until I can get home for "normal" food again.
  • Blythmag
    Blythmag Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    The cost makes it an easy decision for me.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I dont. I go for the big mac. I still lose weigh as well. I opt for no bun though...I dont need the carbs
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I simply don’t go into fast food places. They offer healthy food; but the healthy food is the least tasty. I found myself there with a group at breakfast time. I ate plain oatmeal and 2 packs of apple slices. I drank skim milk and black coffee. My table mates had biscuits and pancakes and fried potatoes and smoky greasy meats and gooey cheese and eggs and sweet coffee drinks. If I had to do what I did every day, I would be miserable! I truly enjoy my food because I work hard to make it tasty and filling while staying within my calorie and nutrient boundaries. So, if I was in that line with the ‘salad vs big greasy burger’ going on in my brain, I would break it all down mentally. Let’s see: refined carbohydrate, red meat of questionable quality, processed cheese with who knows what in it, potatoes fried in grease (I picture a spoonful of that fryer grease, cold), and you get the picture. The thought of eating that turns my stomach. I do eat eggs. I also eat some red meat. And I’m not a food snob. I’m just trying my best to get this weight off and keep it off and do it in the healthiest way I can.

Usually if I do a McDonald's breakfast it's an egg and ham biscuit, and I take off the top half of the bisquit, no cheese or anything. Unless I'm pampering myself, then I'll splurge for the hotcakes with butter and a scrambled egg. They are the only hotcakes I really love, lol.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,991 Member
    Options
    Wow many comment. Well I think that if you crave junk like McDonald´s then you you don´t have healthy diet in general, am I right? Have you ever eaten fresh veggies two times a day with your meals, over a period of time? I used to crave junk for every meal but I´d never had a normal diet, so when my diet went from junk to home made with fresh veggies every time for about seven months, the cravings for junk stopped and it actually started to repel me.
    How I went about the change is I got a job at a farm and got two meals a day cooked for me by a chef... and this was in the country so there were no fast food places. That was a game changer for me to eat normal every day, for the first time in my life. Never went back to the old habits and lost a lot of weight.

I eat vegetables with dinner most nights.

I dont have cravings for junk food but every now and then I like to eat what you call junk.
    you know, variety in a balanced diet.

Mcdonalds isnt my favourite place but if I were there for some reason - eg friends wanted to go there, was only place open, whatever - then i would get the Mcwrap - I dont know if it is lower calorie but I like wraps and I dont like their salad and I dont eat burgers

• dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Just eat the burger and work it into your calories... Often I'll have fast food lunch with water or diet drink and it fits in my calories. I'm short and relatively light female and it never stalled my weightloss. I like to get double cheeseburger or quarter pounder, Big Mac has way too many calories IMO. Also, going to McDonald's just to get a salad is a little bit sad.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,859 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    McDonald's has always been a nemesis for me. I have stood in line, pondering if I should get a salad or McWrap instead of a Big Mac. 99.97% of the time, I choose the Big Mac....I did get the McWrap once. What I am looking for is "decision process information" that helps you choose the salad. What I mean by "decision process information" is any thoughts or reasonings that you have that lead to the decision to eat the salad.

I quit eating at McDonalds some time ago ... and have been eating good food instead. There's so much better food out there ... better quality, better tasting, in a better environment.

My decision process goes like this:

Do we want to eat out tonight (usually for convenience). Answer: Yes.

Do we want something quick or a sitdown meal. Answer: Quick.

Where do we want to eat? Answer: There's Subway, Zambreros, or one of three local Indian places, each of which is delicious.

What do we feel hungry for?

Well ... earlier in the week we went to Subway, yesterday we went to one of the Indian places, tonight we went to Zambreros. :)

McDonalds doesn't even come up in conversation.

Last weekend we went here: http://burgergotsoul.com/ That was more of a sit-down meal, and our burgers certainly weren't McDonald's burgers!!