How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options

Replies

• Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    The myth that fit, attractive people must barely eat and never indulge in junk food is part of the reason so many obese people think its impossible for them to get fit. It’s a toxic lie we tell ourselves to justify our own weakness.

A burger that size is not indulging, it’s binging. The first thing I do when I order a huge burger at a restaurant is cut off a third, and hand my boyfriend the other two thirds. If no one is there to share, I still cut it in half. Better in the garbage than on my thighs. Big Macs aren’t quite so huge, but I haven’t even bothered with one since high school.

Big Macs are less than 600 calories. You have a very strange definition of binging. Even if that burger is 1200 eating that amount in one meal is no where near binging.

personally, I wouldn't consider a meal to be "binging" until you're getting into the 3,000+ range.

Well, maybe not for a big guy. I can see that. But a 1500 calorie burger is pretty intense for one meal. It’s an entire day worth of calories for me.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    The myth that fit, attractive people must barely eat and never indulge in junk food is part of the reason so many obese people think its impossible for them to get fit. It’s a toxic lie we tell ourselves to justify our own weakness.

A burger that size is not indulging, it’s binging. The first thing I do when I order a huge burger at a restaurant is cut off a third, and hand my boyfriend the other two thirds. If no one is there to share, I still cut it in half. Better in the garbage than on my thighs. Big Macs aren’t quite so huge, but I haven’t even bothered with one since high school.

Big Macs are less than 600 calories. You have a very strange definition of binging. Even if that burger is 1200 eating that amount in one meal is no where near binging.

The trivialization of mental illness kills me. When I mention people being a hoarder, some people are like "omg me too. I can't turn down a bargain haha." Meanwhile, I'm severely depressed and trying not to wind up a subject of an A&E reality series.

Sitting down to a large meal that might make you overfull is not bingeing.

Maybe, try not being personally offended by absolutely everything.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

personally, I wouldn't consider a meal to be "binging" until you're getting into the 3,000+ range.

Well, maybe not for a big guy. I can see that. But a 1500 calorie burger is pretty intense for one meal. It’s an entire day worth of calories for me.

1500 is still not a binge. Many ED binges are 10 000 + calories. Also binges are uncontrollably shovelling down food which does not mean eating 1 high calorie burger. 1500 would just be overrating.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options

1500 is still not a binge. Many ED binges are 10 000 + calories. Also binges are uncontrollably shovelling down food which does not mean eating 1 high calorie burger. 1500 would just be overrating.

Fair enough. “Over indulging”. No offense to meant in that regard.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options

The trivialization of mental illness kills me. When I mention people being a hoarder, some people are like "omg me too. I can't turn down a bargain haha." Meanwhile, I'm severely depressed and trying not to wind up a subject of an A&E reality series.

Sitting down to a large meal that might make you overfull is not bingeing.

Maybe, try not being personally offended by absolutely everything.

Try not using a serious illness to support your hyperbole.

It wasn’t. . You are exaggerating, and I’ve already corrected myself. There’s a such thing as an “offended troll”.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

I agree that the Big Mac is not that big a deal if eaten occasionally. However, that model/actress is not holding a big Mac. That hamburger is about the size of her thigh and the big Macs I've seen are not the size of even the thinnest adult woman's leg!!

This is an interesting thread. I've never "binged" like people are describing here so I just learned that a person can eat 10,000 calories at once! I obviously ate too much, otherwise I wouldn't be the weight I am (or was) but a binge to me is a bag of potato chips, which probably has about 1500 calories.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    sloth3toes wrote: »
    If you're craving McDonalds, an All American Meal is also a good option. Hamburger and a small fries. about 500 calories total, and super delicious.

If you ever wonder why people are so much fatter today than in 1950, consider that when McDonalds was founded that was the only thing they served.

1y9kaq.jpg

McDonald's didn't create the demand, they responded to it.

Seems like sort of a chicken or egg thing. I'm not sure I knew I wanted a Big Mac, until there was such a thing?

:|

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    I think to large degree they created the demand - like all new products which advertising creates a need for.

Not saying that makes them bad - but that is how advertising works and new products gain ground in the market.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    lucerorojo wrote: »

I agree that the Big Mac is not that big a deal if eaten occasionally. However, that model/actress is not holding a big Mac. That hamburger is about the size of her thigh and the big Macs I've seen are not the size of even the thinnest adult woman's leg!!

This is an interesting thread. I've never "binged" like people are describing here so I just learned that a person can eat 10,000 calories at once! I obviously ate too much, otherwise I wouldn't be the weight I am (or was) but a binge to me is a bag of potato chips, which probably has about 1500 calories.

In Bulimia and anorexia binge/purge subtype a lot of those calories are purged and binge sessions are often interrupted by multiple purge sessions
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Keep eating there and your taste buds won't change. You will continue to crave it. My teenager I use to drive to McDonalds and sometimes I can say no to the one fry or two and sometimes I eat half. Really am disappointed with myself afterwards for the lack of willpower. Glad she's driving. And you know, the make this food to taste good to hit those taste receptors. Just say NO!
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Keep eating there and your taste buds won't change. You will continue to crave it. My teenager I use to drive to McDonalds and sometimes I can say no to the one fry or two and sometimes I eat half. Really am disappointed with myself afterwards for the lack of willpower. Glad she's driving. And you know, the make this food to taste good to hit those taste receptors. Just say NO!

No need to feel guilty about eating any type of food. As long as you fit it in your calorie allowance you are fine.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options

No need to feel guilty about eating any type of food. As long as you fit it in your calorie allowance you are fine.

Exactly, I mean Mcdonalds and many other restaurants show the calorie totals of their foods. I fit restaurant food into my calories all the time. I know it's harder for petite women but still possible.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    I ate @ 1550 cals today - 300 at noon (an oatmeal concoction and coffee), 350 at 4 pm (a homemade grain and veggie bowl) and 900 for dinner (Wendy's single with cheese no mayo, small fries, and a Coke zero).

I was a little under on protein and a bit over on fat, and I usually eat more veggies than that. But I felt great all day, everything was yummy, and I think I'll live to see another day :smiley:
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options

If you enjoy macdonalds and you can fit it into your calorie allowance and your balanced diet - why would you want your taste buds to change? Or yourself to just say NO??

and if you can do that, why would you be disappointed with yourself when you did so??

and yes, of course they want to make the food taste good, istn that what we all do with all food?? - what would be the point of buying food that tasted awful or of a business not aiming to have customers like the taste of their products??

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Add macro and micro nutrient profile to this and your okay.

And before someone says people know and understand about proper nutrition, look at the amount of fruits and veggies in the US diet compared to the recommended amounts.
  • leonhnchan
    leonhnchan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Best to have it on your cheat days and enjoy it!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    leonhnchan wrote: »
    Best to have it on your cheat days and enjoy it!

Not everyone does “cheat days”.

I try to limit myself to only going for fast food once a week (usually Thursday nights in the fall and winter). I know the foods that will fit into my calorie/macro goals and I choose them while making sure I’ve still met other goals. There are plenty of times where I’ll have a salad for lunch and then McDonalds for dinner.