How do you choose a salad over a Big Mac?

Options
191011121315»

Replies

• jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Dvdgzz wrote: »
    Don't a lot of salads have the same amount of calories as a Big Mac?

if you drown them in full-fat dressing they can.

the McDonald's Southwest Salad, the only one they sell here, is only 550 calories though, including the fried chicken breast and the included dressing. So it's not the worst. You can cut that down a lot just by getting grilled chicken instead.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should stop going in altogether so you don't have that choice to make.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

the McDonald's Southwest Salad, the only one they sell here, is only 550 calories though, including the fried chicken breast and the included dressing. So it's not the worst. You can cut that down a lot just by getting grilled chicken instead.

That's 10 more calories than a Big Mac. I wouldn't say 'only'
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ccruz985 wrote: »
    Maybe you should stop going in altogether so you don't have that choice to make.

While avoiding especially tempting places can be a good strategy in some situations, at some point we all have to learn to make choices that align with our calorie goals even in the face of tempting alternatives.

We're going to be at work when someone brings in candy or pastries, we're going to be at a family dinner where a someone brings their famous mac and cheese or potato salad, someone is going to have a special occasion and want to go out to eat at that place with the amazing bread basket *and* incredible cocktails, we're going to be at the movies with someone who wants to order a huge bucket of popcorn and then offers some to us.

At some point, we've got to learn to take appropriate portions instead of the huge portion we want to take or even turn things down completely if we want to be successful.
  • sissidevore
    sissidevore Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i find that if i dont' eat what i will satisfy me, i start to binge. i do have BED, but its funny, if i eat 1 big mac, i can usually stop myself. but if i don't feel mentally satisfied, i will just keep on eating. i would suggest just eating the burger, then do a little extra of a workout. or just avoid mcdonalds,
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options

you don't typically eat a salad with a side of fries. If you can make a meal out of just the Big Mac, more power too you. 550 calories for an entire meal is hardly gluttonous.
  • Nixi3Knox
    Nixi3Knox Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    ahamm002 wrote: »
    The trivialization of mental illness kills me. When I mention people being a hoarder, some people are like "omg me too. I can't turn down a bargain haha." Meanwhile, I'm severely depressed and trying not to wind up a subject of an A&E reality series.

Sitting down to a large meal that might make you overfull is not bingeing.

I hear people use the term "bingeing" all the time. Since when did using it loosely become "trivialization of mental illness?" Is "bingeing" another term that has suddenly become offensive?

I personally don't really care whether eating my entire day's worth of calories in one burger is defined as either indulging or binging. If you're trying to lose weight like this thread's OP, then it's probably a bad idea at any time other than a special occasion.

The issue arises in spaces like this one where people use "binge" to cover situations from "Oops, I meant to eat a serving of chips but they tasted so good I ate two servings" to "I have a diagnosed BED that is compromising my health and mental wellbeing" and everything in between.

If you're struggling with or have struggled with BED, it can be weird or even hurtful to see people describe eating one sandwich as a "binge." There is also the concern that it is making a pathology of something that is fairly normal behavior.

I get that you personally don't care, but it may be worth considering why others care.

Speaking as one who has been known to eat a regular dinner, followed by a bowl of cereal, a hand full of cookies, a half a bag of chips, a sandwich, a half a box of crackers, plus spoonfuls of peanut butter, salad dressing, jelly, a handful of chocolate chips, a large part of a jar of pickle relish and nibbles of cheese within an hour or less, while walking away from the kitchen angry because I felt like a massive pig, and because I was still hungry enough to keep going, I can honestly say I have a hard time not rolling my eyes at these single serving binge eaters.
  • Dvdgzz
    Dvdgzz Posts: 437 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options

you don't typically eat a salad with a side of fries. If you can make a meal out of just the Big Mac, more power too you. 550 calories for an entire meal is hardly gluttonous.

I was referring to the OP. I regularly go to Mcdonalds and get a sandwich and a large diet coke. It's never a Big Mac though, way too low on protein vs. calorie total. The patties are tiny. Also, not sure where I said anything was gluttonous

• gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    They will put Big mac sauce on a cheeseburger for you, not sure if anyone has suggested that to you yet