Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    It really would be interesting to hands on see it. Its been a while since I've done any lab work lol
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    It really would be interesting to hands on see it. Its been a while since I've done any lab work lol

If you hit the 'Quote' link in the post you are responding to, it will appear in your comment (like yours appeared in mine) and will make it much easier to follow what you are saying.

What would be interesting to see hands on?
  • Mandygring
    Options
    3bambi3 wrote: »

If you hit the 'Quote' link in the post you are responding to, it will appear in your comment (like yours appeared in mine) and will make it much easier to follow what you are saying.

My favorite lab experience was seeing how different substances effect the heart. (Of course I'm giving the shortened version of it). I'm pretty sure this subject would be just as interesting.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

My favorite lab experience was seeing how different substances effect the heart. (Of course I'm giving the shortened version of it). I'm pretty sure this subject would be just as interesting.

WHAT SUBJECT????
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I think its bc ppl think their way is the only way and what they learned is it.

I'm intrigued as to your educational/work background in that you seem to be alluding to having a science background but also insinuating that people trust science over untested assertions simply because it's what they've been taught...

I still believe my comment is correct and was an answer to the op. That being said many ppl have assumed that meant i was for holistic. I do get my flu shot every year and ibprofren for headaches. At the same time I use peppermint or ginger for nausea and hot tea w lemon to sooth a sore throat.

The OP asked specifically if she was being scammed and was good enough to provide some details about the school and their coursework in follow-up posts. I can't tell whether you think she's being scammed or you think the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition is legit.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

I'm intrigued as to your educational/work background in that you seem to be alluding to having a science background but also insinuating that people trust science over untested assertions simply because it's what they've been taught...

I still believe my comment is correct and was an answer to the op. That being said many ppl have assumed that meant i was for holistic. I do get my flu shot every year and ibprofren for headaches. At the same time I use peppermint or ginger for nausea and hot tea w lemon to sooth a sore throat.

Home remedies for minor complaints aren't quite on the level of what's being discussed here.

Yeah I have no problem with someone drinking tea to sooth a sore throat (I do that) or peppermint to deal with some nausea. There is a big difference between dealing with symptoms and treating a disease. I think the homeopathic aisle in the grocery store is stupid but I'm not really mad at it because those are treatments for symptoms, none of which is life threatening. If you are getting a treatment for a life threatening disease you aren't getting it in a grocery store aisle (or you certainly shouldn't be). What I take issue with is "holistic" or "alternative" therapeutics (not symptom relief). Basically alternative medicine practitioners who are calling themselves doctors "prescribing" peppermint to help someone who has a bacterial infection that is at risk of going septic. And that person trusts this "doctor" and thinks they have gotten a remedy for what could potentially be a life threatening illness when instead they have been given something that basically might help a bit with nausea. That is what I take issue with and I feel like these colleges support that because they are teaching that it is okay to start a practice, call yourself a doctor, on the basis of "alternative" treatments. That is a far cry from putting lemon in your tea.

I have pretty severe chronic migraines that come with a boatload of daily symptoms. I live with daily head pain and nausea.

I use an herbal tea (I respond better to something sour tasting for nausea rather than ginger or peppermint) when my nausea is mild, but when it's more severe, I have prescription medication to deal with it.

This is a good example for the other poster to see someone using complementary approaches to health issues.

I have a similar approach to my pain management for both my migraines and arthritis. There are complementary therapies I employ before using drugs. Sometimes, if the pain is mild, they are all I need. If not, I'm glad I have drugs on hand to deal with things.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

The point here is that the OP is going to a school which takes a lot of money from students, who then go out and take a lot of money from the public, all based on diagnoses and treatments that have no foundation in science.

No one ever paid thousands of dollars to go to school to learn to tell people to drink hot tea for a sore throat. No one ever paid hundreds, even thousands of dollars to a practitioner to tell them to have ginger tea for nausea.

So the woo being peddled by the school the OP is going to isn't harmless herbal remedies, its expensive and potentially harmful bulldust.

So the answer that people think that their way is the only way in relation to the OP is completely problematic because it insinuates that there is legitimacy to diagnosing someone with a non-existent illness is merely a matter of perspective.

Very well said, better than how I said it but conveying what I wanted to convey exactly.
  • Mandygring
    Options

The point here is that the OP is going to a school which takes a lot of money from students, who then go out and take a lot of money from the public, all based on diagnoses and treatments that have no foundation in science.

No one ever paid thousands of dollars to go to school to learn to tell people to drink hot tea for a sore throat. No one ever paid hundreds, even thousands of dollars to a practitioner to tell them to have ginger tea for nausea.

So the woo being peddled by the school the OP is going to isn't harmless herbal remedies, its expensive and potentially harmful bulldust.

So the answer that people think that their way is the only way in relation to the OP is completely problematic because it insinuates that there is legitimacy to diagnosing someone with a non-existent illness is merely a matter of perspective.

Very well said, better than how I said it but conveying what I wanted to convey exactly.

Lol okay guys. Yes I can agree w this completely. There's a time for tea and a time to get serious help.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Home remedies for minor complaints aren't quite on the level of what's being discussed here.

Yeah I have no problem with someone drinking tea to sooth a sore throat (I do that) or peppermint to deal with some nausea. There is a big difference between dealing with symptoms and treating a disease. I think the homeopathic aisle in the grocery store is stupid but I'm not really mad at it because those are treatments for symptoms, none of which is life threatening. If you are getting a treatment for a life threatening disease you aren't getting it in a grocery store aisle (or you certainly shouldn't be). What I take issue with is "holistic" or "alternative" therapeutics (not symptom relief). Basically alternative medicine practitioners who are calling themselves doctors "prescribing" peppermint to help someone who has a bacterial infection that is at risk of going septic. And that person trusts this "doctor" and thinks they have gotten a remedy for what could potentially be a life threatening illness when instead they have been given something that basically might help a bit with nausea. That is what I take issue with and I feel like these colleges support that because they are teaching that it is okay to start a practice, call yourself a doctor, on the basis of "alternative" treatments. That is a far cry from putting lemon in your tea.

I have pretty severe chronic migraines that come with a boatload of daily symptoms. I live with daily head pain and nausea.

I use an herbal tea (I respond better to something sour tasting for nausea rather than ginger or peppermint) when my nausea is mild, but when it's more severe, I have prescription medication to deal with it.

This is a good example for the other poster to see someone using complementary approaches to health issues.

I have a similar approach to my pain management for both my migraines and arthritis. There are complementary therapies I employ before using drugs. Sometimes, if the pain is mild, they are all I need. If not, I'm glad I have drugs on hand to deal with things.

See I'm not at all saying I think alternative or holistic approaches have modern medicine beat or something when it comes to pain management or symptom relief, far from it. I just agree that for some mild symptoms they are certainly adequate and no need to bother a doctor about. However if something is just a symptom and is not life threatening I feel like it is much more an individual choice on how one wants to handle that. If they feel that tea is sufficient to deal with pain they are experiencing and to them it would not be worth it to ingest a drug they are less sure of than lemon tea then okay. Even if the pain was severe and the patient went to a holistic doctor who gave them some alternative treatment that did not deal with the pain enough but the patient stuck with it because they believed in holistic approaches I guess I feel a little annoyed at the holistic practitioner there but not enough to make a stink.

No when I start to care is when it isn't about symptoms its about actual diseases that are treatable and curable by modern medicine but people get duped into doing an "alternative" that does nothing but perhaps mildly treat some of the symptoms. Then that person is putting other people at risk if it is a communicable disease or even if it not a communicable disease they are putting their own health at risk which is concerning enough to me to raise a stink.

In the case of a life threatening illness where a person has access to the cure but chooses to avoid it because "alternative" medicine has taught them that modern medicine (excuse me "Western" medicine) is just a scam to hook you on opiods and rob you of your money and health then those purveyors of "alternative" medicine need to be shut down. When a child dies of a completely treatable bacterial infection because parents decided to treat it with some herbal supplement rather than take them to the doctor until it was too late then yeah that blood is on the hands of those who would spread that garbage.

I completely agree.

Conditions don't even have to be life threatening for the intervention of modern medicine to have an impact.

I actually suffered needlessly for years because to my shame, I mistrusted doctors for a while due to ill treatment from several of them. I spent that time trying not so much alternative therapies as just weird dietary approaches and supplements.

I spent that time feeling miserable, and that had an impact not just on my life, but on the lives of those around me. That was wasted time. My life has done a 180 since I grew a spine, woke up, switched doctors, and got properly diagnosed and treated for what was making me sick for all those years.

None of this was life threatening, but I did fall into that internet scene of mistrust of doctors, and it adversely affected my whole family's quality of life. Needlessly.
This discussion has been closed.