Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Why are most mfp users against holistic nutrition?

Options

Replies

• Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    "I need a second opinion"....I've heard that phrase before.
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    There is a correlation between good grammar and clear thinking. The book, "On Writing Well" by Zinsser is on my short list of life-changing books. Because it changed my thinking. The author emphasizes the importance of reviewing and editing to get down to the essence of what is meant. As I reviewed and edited my work, I had to ask myself, "Is this what I really mean"?

Needs to go on my reading list. :+1:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    "I need a second opinion"....I've heard that phrase before.

I'm not sure what you're getting at.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    If you would indulge a bit of a rant.

I hate the term "Western Medicine" that people who support so called alternative or holistic medicines parade about. There isn't a "western" medicine. Modern medicine is based on our current scientific understanding of both the world and our bodies, an understanding developed globally. Not only that but lots of things you would associate with "Western" medicine weren't even first developed in the West. Sushruta, who is considered to be the inventor of the modern concept of surgery was Indian who legend has learned the techniques from Lord Dhanvantari, the Hindu god of medicine. I can only imagine the term comes from the idea that in western countries we talk about the hippocratic oath for doctors which is based on Hippocrates and the concept of doing no harm and because Hippocrates happened to be Greek that must be a Western philosophy then. Like the West owns the concept of doing no harm.

But even for those techniques of modern medicine that were first pioneered in parts of the world that are considered to be "western" so what? That makes medicine "Western" then? Where else do we apply that principle?

The ability to build skyscrapers is based on the application and development of engineering techniques that are based on the physical understanding of materials and gravity. The first skyscraper was built in the United States but the United States doesn't somehow own the concept of skyscrapers or the knowledge used to build them. We don't go around the world referring to skyscrapers in China or in India as being "American buildings" or "Western buildings" do we. In fact that would sound rather insulting and weirdly ethno-centric wouldn't it?

A lot of the foundational concepts of modern mathematics were developed in the middle east. Things like algebra or the concept of algoritms were first conceived there (hence the sound of their names Al-gorithm, Al-gebra). That said if you solve a problem with algebra you don't refer to it as applying "Middle-eastern math" do you? Sounds a little silly doesn't it?

So why do it with medicine? Is it because in western countries the techniques of modern medicine are practiced where everywhere else in the world different techniques are used? No, not at all. If you get a bacterial infection while traveling in India and you go to a hospital guess what they are going to do...they are going to give you antibiotics. Same literally anywhere in the world. They aren't going to rub tumeric into it or give you apple cider vinegar. Because modern medicine is just that, the current application of medicine in the modern age globally. Would you complain to your Indian doctor in India that you are skeptical of "Western medicine"? Might sound a little insulting in that context wouldn't it?

q4bgjrpj2cly.gif
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Mandygring wrote: »
    I think its bc ppl think their way is the only way and what they learned is it.

Yeah, that's definitely a problem with "holistic" "medicine" - its salesmen love to claim that nothing else works. Good point.
  • Mandygring
    Mandygring Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I would love to actually have the experience of testing both in a laboratory.
This discussion has been closed.