November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Finally reporting in this week. It has been a light week so far because I have been taking it a bit easy with all of my races and my fast long run on Sunday. Today I also signed up for a 10 mi "fun run" race next weekend so my long run tomorrow is going to be a bit lighter than originally planned. Yesterday my husband and I tortured each other at the gym--he gave me various weight lifting things to do and I gave him a core workout. Pretty sore today so I think I should try to work that kind of workout in more often. Today did a slow 10K while doing some trail maintenance and then a yoga class to try to stretch out the pain from yesterday. I think it made it worse instead! :smile:

Goals this month: Do 1 shorter race, plan for spring racing (register for 2 races), 90 mi total

Day/Distance/Comments

11/1 Walked outside for 45 min + did my PT
    11/2 Ran 3.5 mi + walked 0.75 mi + PT
    11/3 Fail (intended to run but ran out of time before leaving town)
    11/4 Walked while out of town
    11/5 Ran 10 mi + stretched
    11/6 Water walked + stretched and foam rolled a bit
    11/7 Ran 3.5 mi + walked a bit
    11/8 Walked outside + getting back on track with PT
    11/9 Ran 5 mi + walked 1 mi + PT
    11/10 Water walking for 45 min
    11/11 Ran 6 mi
    11/12 Ran 9 mi + walked 1 mi
    11/13 Rest (planned to walk later but never got the time)
    11/14 Rest (on my feet all day for lab, intended to run but ran out of time/energy)
    11/15 Ran 3 mi and walked a little bit
    11/16 Ran 5 mi and walked 1 mi, PT
    11/17 Water walked for 1 h + PT
    11/18 5K race + extra 0.5 mile
    11/19 Ran 11 mi + walked 1 mile + PT
    11/20 Water walking
    11/21 Rest day
    11/22 Rest day (again!) but still feeling pretty spent
    11/23 5K race (2nd in my AG!)
    11/24 Water walking, walking + strength workout
    11/25 10K slow run (+ trail maintenance) + yoga class

Goal: 90 mi
    Total: 68.8 mi
    To go: 20.2 mi
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    1---3.23
    2--PT
    3---4.34
    7---PT
    9---PT
    10---3.33
    13---3.47
    17---3.40
    19---6.29
    23---3.49
    24---1.02 TM
    25---2.01

30.58/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Did my first long run since the half marathon. 10 miles!

Is there a place to sign up and streak or do you just do it?

Ya it's all "unofficial". Just do it. Nice long run btw!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Did 5.88 mi counting walking. Ran 5k in under 36 minutes for the first time, yeah baby! That's the time I put in when I signed up for St Jude a month ago and I was going to be embarrassed if I couldn't do it before race day.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ Great job on the organized running closet. I have an old Dresser/Bureau that I use. Bottom drawers hold the off-season gear and top drawers are the in-season.

@l_lake A little late but Welcome to the group. Like a few others I live in Northern Alberta ( 5 hr drive north of Edmonton) so we know and understand the challenges of running through the Canadian Winter. Those MFP'ers in Eastern Canada and south across the border from you will have similar conditions so will be the best resource for ideas. You have a higher Humidity due to the Lake Effect but we have colder base temps and we manage to run all winter. Layers and Smart Route planning are the real secret. If you have a park with Trails that loop back around the parking area that is a great way start and to learn what works best for clothing versus weather. That way you can loop past your vehicle and add/remove layers plus it lets you leave water & snacks in your vehicle. One of the best things is if you can find a local running group that embraces the No One Left Behind - sheepdog - technique as a form of support for those new to winter running. Check out the Running Room stores they usually sponsor a few mid week runs with differant pace groups.

@MobyCarp Hope you are able to get back into it fairly soon at a slow pace to let every thing settle out/heal up.
    @Elise4270 :D:D You and your Easy on the Eyes Doctor, no wonder you have so many appointments o:)

@zdyb23456 11/25 13.1!!! Well done on recognizing how eating affects you during events. I find that it really depends on what I eat/timing relative to aid station water, 1-2 Honey stinger and some gels = okay. 3 or more HS not a good combo. I have to make sure I get water after a HS or it just seems to dehydrate me.
    @RunsOnEspresso Yea a Trail Shoe Junkie - of course that was an accidental purchase

@skippygirlsmom Yea on the Scholarship, now's the time for Miss Skip to investigate additional scholarship options. In Canada there are some obscure ones related to what I would call Northen Service - one year scholarship ( $5,000.00 ) as long as you do one year of work in a Northern community after grad. The irony for me is they counted the 4 months between terms so by the time I had completed my Electronics Eng tech course I had already worked off the 1st year.

@RespectTheKitty Glad to here the old meds have stabilized every thing for you.

For the first time in my life I am suffering what is called SAD Seasonal Affected Disorder. So it gives me a new appreciation for those who suffer every day with a mental/physical issues.
    In November we have only had 2 days with a clear sky and sun light, and I was stuck inside at meetings :( . The rest of the month has been dreary with solid cloud cover blocking out any hint of the sun. I have no motivation/energy to do any physical activity ( running/swimming) and my sleep pattern is disrupted. Picking up a PhotoTherapy light today and new Vitamin D as mine might be degraded and not effective.

Did manage a slow 7 km today - we had freezing rain on Monday and Tuesday so most of the Trails are ice sheets and the edges of most roads = dangerous struggle. Lots of time hunting from one side to the other for the best conditions. I will be lucky to make 65 km this month - normal avg >140km.

11/04 6.2 km – 143.8 km - MTD 006.2 km – YTD 1207.67 km
    11/08 5.0 km – 138.8 km - MTD 011.2 km
    11/09 5.0 km – 133.8 km - MTD 016.2 km
    11/12 10.0 km – 123.8 km - MTD 026.2 km
    11/18 9.6 km – 114.2 km - MTD 035.8 km
    11/25 7.0 km – 107.2 km - MTD 042.8 km – YTD 1244.27 km
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »
    @_nikkiwolf_ Great job on the organized running closet. I have an old Dresser/Bureau that I use. Bottom drawers hold the off-season gear and top drawers are the in-season.

@l_lake A little late but Welcome to the group. Like a few others I live in Northern Alberta ( 5 hr drive north of Edmonton) so we know and understand the challenges of running through the Canadian Winter. Those MFP'ers in Eastern Canada and south across the border from you will have similar conditions so will be the best resource for ideas. You have a higher Humidity due to the Lake Effect but we have colder base temps and we manage to run all winter. Layers and Smart Route planning are the real secret. If you have a park with Trails that loop back around the parking area that is a great way start and to learn what works best for clothing versus weather. That way you can loop past your vehicle and add/remove layers plus it lets you leave water & snacks in your vehicle. One of the best things is if you can find a local running group that embraces the No One Left Behind - sheepdog - technique as a form of support for those new to winter running. Check out the Running Room stores they usually sponsor a few mid week runs with differant pace groups.

@MobyCarp Hope you are able to get back into it fairly soon at a slow pace to let every thing settle out/heal up.
    @Elise4270 :D:D You and your Easy on the Eyes Doctor, no wonder you have so many appointments o:)

@zdyb23456 11/25 13.1!!! Well done on recognizing how eating affects you during events. I find that it really depends on what I eat/timing relative to aid station water, 1-2 Honey stinger and some gels = okay. 3 or more HS not a good combo. I have to make sure I get water after a HS or it just seems to dehydrate me.
    @RunsOnEspresso Yea a Trail Shoe Junkie - of course that was an accidental purchase

@skippygirlsmom Yea on the Scholarship, now's the time for Miss Skip to investigate additional scholarship options. In Canada there are some obscure ones related to what I would call Northen Service - one year scholarship ( $5,000.00 ) as long as you do one year of work in a Northern community after grad. The irony for me is they counted the 4 months between terms so by the time I had completed my Electronics Eng tech course I had already worked off the 1st year.

@RespectTheKitty Glad to here the old meds have stabilized every thing for you.

For the first time in my life I am suffering what is called SAD Seasonal Affected Disorder. So it gives me a new appreciation for those who suffer every day with a mental/physical issues.
    In November we have only had 2 days with a clear sky and sun light, and I was stuck inside at meetings :( . The rest of the month has been dreary with solid cloud cover blocking out any hint of the sun. I have no motivation/energy to do any physical activity ( running/swimming) and my sleep pattern is disrupted. Picking up a PhotoTherapy light today and new Vitamin D as mine might be degraded and not effective.

Did manage a slow 7 km today - we had freezing rain on Monday and Tuesday so most of the Trails are ice sheets and the edges of most roads = dangerous struggle. Lots of time hunting from one side to the other for the best conditions. I will be lucky to make 65 km this month - normal avg >140km.

11/04 6.2 km – 143.8 km - MTD 006.2 km – YTD 1207.67 km
    11/08 5.0 km – 138.8 km - MTD 011.2 km
    11/09 5.0 km – 133.8 km - MTD 016.2 km
    11/12 10.0 km – 123.8 km - MTD 026.2 km
    11/18 9.6 km – 114.2 km - MTD 035.8 km
    11/25 7.0 km – 107.2 km - MTD 042.8 km – YTD 1244.27 km

I hope the Photo Therapy light works as well for you as it did for me. I used to have a terrible time, and just a few minutes every morning has worked for me for the past few years. It just makes an amazing difference.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 sorry to hear about the SAD! I get more sun than you do, but it still is a big issue where I am too.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @Ryokat 100k is so October ;)
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.... you're my hero
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    November 2017 Runs

02 Nov – 8 km
    04 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    05 Nov – 35 km – The Bloody Long Walk walk/run
    07 Nov – 3.2 km
    08 Nov – 10 km
    09 Nov – 12 km
    10 Nov – 7 km
    12 Nov – 18 km
    15 Nov – 5 km
    16 Nov – 10 km
    18 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    19 Nov – 24 km
    21 Nov – 6 km
    24 Nov – 9.2 km
    25 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    26 Nov – 10 km

Crappy humid run with dogs following me. Started out feeling sluggish in the humidity, then a black Labrador and a grey Rottweiler(?)-ish dog appeared behind me and wouldn't turn back.

It scared the crap out of me when I first saw them! I kept telling them to go home. I was scared to gesture at them or point in case they bit my arm. They'd stop, so I'd keep running, then I'd hear them behind me, then repeat. At one point I was almost yelling at them to leave me alone! :s:D

They followed me for a km or two, so I changed my route and I ran back the way I'd come to try and return them to wherever they came from, and then they stopped following me! :s By then I was feeling bloody annoyed and felt like giving up.

But I did a few more kms to make it up to 10 and then called it a cutback week. :D
  • Elise4270
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Yes. Honestly this fella will probably encounter more than his fair share of hypochondriacs :love: He's just the doctor that did the arthrogram. So I won't have the chance to stare mesmerized in to that perfectly handsome ginger face.
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Another rest day for me. We were short staffed at work which meant running around the store all day. We wear steel toes so the feet are really tired and sore. I'll walk to and from work tomorrow to make up for it.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 I remember when my usual GYN wasn't in the office and I had to see his associate, he was so young and go perfect. I said to the nurse I'm not sure I can see him, she just laughed and said you and me both ha ha
    @juliet3455 she has been online almost every night applying for every scholarship she can find. She's been typing in all kinds of weird things that apply to her and applying to anything that comes up. Some of them she makes me laugh when she tells me what they are. Sorry about the SAD, I hear it can be really terrible. I know a few rainy days and I'm a mess, I can't even imagine
    Great job getting out there @WandaVaughn and @RespectTheKitty
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    11/1 - cross training (hubby calls that particular DVD 'Stepford Aerobics')
    11/2 - 3.9km
    11/3 - rest
    11/4 - 3.9km
    11/5 - rest
    11/6 - crosstraining
    11/7 - 6.9km
    11/8 - rest
    11/9 - 5.7km
    11/10 - rest
    11/11 - 8.7km
    11/12 - rest
    11/13 - rest
    11/14 - 6.6 km
    11/15 - rest
    11/16 - lazy
    11/17 - 5.4km made it up
    11/18 - 10.3km
    11/19 - rest
    11/20 - rest
    11/21 - rest
    11/22 - 5.7km
    11/23 - rest
    11/24 - 4.1km
    11/25 - 7.3km

68.5/70km

Today's non-running challenge was changing a dryer belt in a stacked space saver type washer/dryer combo. To get enough room to maneuver we had to completely empty our utility room. So that was fun. Then I took off running while my husband put everything back.

@juliet3455 sorry the lack of sun is affecting you. Hope the phototherapy helps!

@JessicaMcB Im keeping it up over the winter because if I stopped I would just ... stop. I need to keep myself going so I keep going. Good luck with whatever epic distance you're planning on for tomorrow!

@RespectTheKitty & @WandaVaughn awesome getting out there again.

@Orphia Scary! Running into dogs and/or coyotes is my biggest fear while running! I got followed by a pair of dogs that had clearly escaped a back yard once. They lost interest when a rabbit went past and then I was home. A couple of nights ago I was finished running and just walking the 100 or so feet back to my condo when this dog literally jumped on me high enough to pull my earbuds out of my ears! He was leashed, but his person was too busy playing with her phone in the middle of the sidewalk to have any control over him.

Upcoming Races:
    9/24 Heartbeat Run 10K 1:24:44 (11.1km)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Yeah @Elise4270 those easy on the eye did will get you to sign your life away. I remember being asked to chaperone a friend being examined by one. All either of us could remember at the end of the examination was that his name was Mark, he had light brown hair and blue eyes you could just drift off into......cant remember any of the actual tests she had.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I did my half marathon this morning, but did not PR. I don’t think I fueled enough yesterday. I tried eating honey stingers while running but I don’t think it helped much. I discovered eating and running sucks. It makes me feel out of breath! The last few miles my legs felt like rubber- lol

Well, Monday I start level 3 of half marathon training! This training takes me to my first actual half marathon race- the Shamrock!

Congrats on finishing the HM!

For a 13.1 I would try not fueling during the run at all. Drink Gatorade or the equivalent instead. I think you will find the sugar in it sufficient. Just a thought!

• JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @sarahthes thanks! No need to worry about yotes, they are terrified of people. Make a loud noise and they're long gone. Off leash dogs however are very dangerous. I have run into bears, bucks and caribou in rut, moose, a Bob cat once and a whole host of other creatures in my travels- the only animals to ever attack me have been "domesticated" dogs. Canadian Tire sells a spray to deter dogs, I carry it in the event I end up confronted by a pit bull or similar as those breeds can lock jaw and they aren't going to let go unless they are in enough pain to.

In short, people who don't leash their dogs irk me. Especially the owners of some local Weimeraners because their dogs are absolute *kitten* that they claim are harmless. Last I checked harmless dogs haven't run down and bitten multiple people in town :#