November 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Had MRI arthrogram today. I had planned on running before it, but was phoned early for an earlier appointment so I took it. (2 hours away makes for a long day).

Idk if I should try to get my day 2 streak mile on the TM tonight or not. The post procedure instructions say "reduced activity".... I may just take a pass today. Or i may try to suck it up a bit later, damage is done right?

I sure hope they find something on that MRI.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    The verdict this morning is that I had a bad race yesterday. Can't run. Made a firm decision that I will do no running for at least 3 days. Reported off injured from the paced run for tomorrow morning. I'm thinking the first day I feel like I can run, I should take another rest day anyway.

This could really mess up my racing schedule, but it isn't the first time. Maybe some day I'll learn to back off enough.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Had MRI arthrogram today. I had planned on running before it, but was phoned early for an earlier appointment so I took it. (2 hours away makes for a long day).

Idk if I should try to get my day 2 streak mile on the TM tonight or not. The post procedure instructions say "reduced activity".... I may just take a pass today. Or i may try to suck it up a bit later, damage is done right?

I Googled "MRI arthrogram".

For others: http://www.uwmedicine.org/health-library/pages/mri-arthrogram.aspx

(They inject the joint with contrast medium then do an MRI, as I understand it.)

Sounds painful! I'd rest.
  • greenolivetree
    greenolivetree Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I feel unqualified to advise on the streak but I hope you get answers from the MRI.

@MobyCarp Sorry you're injured :-/
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

I Googled "MRI arthrogram".

For others: http://www.uwmedicine.org/health-library/pages/mri-arthrogram.aspx

(They inject the joint with contrast medium then do an MRI, as I understand it.)

Sounds painful! I'd rest.
    A few pinches and the doctor who happened to be the easiest on the eyes I've ever encountered, was kind enough to be generous with the lidocaine. The MRI gets achy laying still in one place for so long. I'm less pain than usual :smiley:
  • Elise4270
    Options
    1---3.23
    2--PT
    3---4.34
    7---PT
    9---PT
    10---3.33
    13---3.47
    17---3.40
    19---6.29
    23---3.49
    24---1.02 TM. Easy peasy slow no pain!

28.57/65 miles

Upcoming races:
    Dec 2- POOP trail run, 5.5 miles Norman OK
    Jan 27 Running the Rose. Tyler Tx. 11mi or 7k

Pre-op PR's
    1 mile 8:27  5k 24:42. 10k 1:00.52.  HM 2:17.28
    Post-op Training PB's
    1 mile 9.25  5k 33:46 10k 1:09:46
  • Orphia
    Options
    November 2017 Runs

02 Nov – 8 km
    04 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    05 Nov – 35 km – The Bloody Long Walk walk/run
    07 Nov – 3.2 km
    08 Nov – 10 km
    09 Nov – 12 km
    10 Nov – 7 km
    12 Nov – 18 km
    15 Nov – 5 km
    16 Nov – 10 km
    18 Nov – 5 km parkrun
    19 Nov – 24 km
    21 Nov – 6 km
    24 Nov – 9.2 km
    25 Nov – 5 km parkrun

It was warm again today, but parkrun was fun. I ran pretty fast or at tempo, and did some fast bursts on top of that. Did the 5K in 27:56.

My Fenix 5 says it was mostly in Zone 2... I've had this quite a lot. I run hard, but my heart (or HRM) thinks it's easy.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    l_lake wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    It's my first year running and I want to keep it going through the winter. I've been doing well with continuing to run outside in the colder weather so far, but the ground getting icy makes me nervous. I was looking into my options for the days when it's too icy to run and it looks like there's an indoor track not too far from my house. It's 400m inside a sports dome. There's also a cheapo gym I could sign up with that I could go to for treadmills.

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on which would be less boring?

I'm not a huge fan of the treadmill and I've never used one for the distances I've been getting to lately (7-10 km). I think I'll be bored running in place, but I'm not sure if running in a circle 25 times is going to be any better. Haha!

I guess I'm also asking if either is worth it? Or if I should just sit out the days when the ground is too treacherous and do something else instead. Go x-country skiing or skate the canal or something.

For context, I live in Ottawa, Canada. So, once winter truly hits, the sidewalks and trails I run on might never be ice free until March.

First, run outside if you can manage it. Any day that you can, will help your sanity.

For the times you can not... track vs dreadmill... it really is a personal decision.

TRACK Pros
    You are actually moving
    Easier to vary pace (speed work, easy day, etc)
    TRACK Cons
    You have to count laps, and if you lose count your sunk :)
    After the first lap scenery never changes.
    No hill work

DREADMILL Pros
    Fully automated lap counting
    Can simulate hill work
    Can help teach the feel of perfect pace
    DREADMILL Cons
    Varying your pace is an awkward and slow
    After first stride scenery never changes
    If there are no fans you tend to stay in cloud of stale air

Between the two, I would choose the dreadmill. As much as I do not like the thing, it is marginally better than a track for me. I like telling dreadmill to give me random hills with an avg 5% grade for example. Plus I always lose track on a track.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Hang in there @MobyCarp :( . I'm sorry you're a hurting unit right now- I too suck at pulling back.

Taking today and tomorrow off- reasoning behind two consecutive off days will be apparent on Sunday ;)

November 1- 18+8
    November 2- 22
    November 3- 20
    November 4- 42
    November 5- 20
    November 6- 18
    November 7- 18
    November 8- 19
    November 9- 18
    November 10- 28+6
    November 11- 38
    November 12- 20
    November 13- Off
    November 14- 19
    November 15- 19
    November 16- 24
    November 17- 25
    November 18- 52
    November 19- 23
    November 20- 22+10
    November 21- 14+8
    November 22- 20
    November 23- 15+7
    November 24- Off
    November 25- Off

553/500km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    SO, I do not want to panic anyone... but during the Turkey Trot I noticed the pacer had a Garmin on each wrist. So I asked and she said that the Fenix 5s gave her all the stats she wanted, but its GPS was horrible and constantly lost track of her, so she kept her older Garmin for pacing runs so that she would be able to monitor her pace better.

I figure she must just have a defective unit right? Is not the Fenix line like the top end for Garmin? Seems like the GPS on it should be rock solid?
  • Elise4270
    edited November 2017
    Options
    SO, I do not want to panic anyone... but during the Turkey Trot I noticed the pacer had a Garmin on each wrist. So I asked and she said that the Fenix 5s gave her all the stats she wanted, but its GPS was horrible and constantly lost track of her, so she kept her older Garmin for pacing runs so that she would be able to monitor her pace better.

I figure she must just have a defective unit right? Is not the Fenix line like the top end for Garmin? Seems like the GPS on it should be rock solid?

Haha! What a goon! For that kinda money? And Garmin's customer service is top notch!

I will be wearing both mine just to check the HR accuracy of my 620, that runs rather high.

ETA.. DCRainmaker makes no mention of a GPS issue with the device.
    "... Looking at the above, the Fenix 5 most accurately tracked where I was. The Fenix 3 in second place, and the Spartan Ultra cutting the corners at every opportunity. The Fenix 5 even correctly tracked when I brain-farted and missed the turn at the very southern tip – having to turn back around slightly...."
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Haha! What a goon! For that kinda money? And Garmin's customer service is top notch!

I will be wearing both mine just to check the HR accuracy of my 620, that runs rather high.

Yeah, I mean I ran a couple runs with both my Apple Watch and the Garmin 935 to check how well it worked. Had it failed, I would have been on the phone asking for a replacement. Just seemed odd for anyone to just accept "Really expensive device has a warranty but does not work. Oh well, I will just wear two devices."
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    November goal 100miles, at least 1mpd

11/1 4.43
    11/2 2.25
    11/3 6.35
    11/4 2.25
    11/5 4.50
    11/6 2.22 + snorkel 3.5hours
    11/7 7.00
    11/8 2.32
    11/9 4.13
    11/10 2.72
    11/11 4.00
    11/12 5.23
    11/13 2.40
    11/14 4.30
    11/15 5.21
    11/16 2.10
    11/17 snorkel 4 hours
    11/18 6.32
    11/19 2.32
    11/20 5.14
    11/21 4.35
    11/22 3.15
    11/23 6.33
    11/24 2.16

Total: 87.18

@MobyCarp we really need a "sad" reaction....

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • Orphia
    Options
    My Fenix 5 GPS always seems spot-on.

I've run most of the roads in my town and know the distances, and since I started using it in July, I've never noticed anything remiss.

Same with out-of-town events I've done - it's always shown the event distance.

• sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @l_lake Welcome! I'm a brand new runner as well (started late spring) and I've just decided to suck it up and run outside no matter the weather. I'm in Edmonton and so far I've run in -17C for my lowest temperature. I've only done the treadmill once and I hated it. I think I would find it too easy to call it a day early using an indoor track.

My worst weather run was actually tonight as it was above freezing all day and had started to ice up before I got out. I only did 4km instead of a planned 5.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    11/1 - cross training (hubby calls that particular DVD 'Stepford Aerobics')
    11/2 - 3.9km
    11/3 - rest
    11/4 - 3.9km
    11/5 - rest
    11/6 - crosstraining
    11/7 - 6.9km
    11/8 - rest
    11/9 - 5.7km
    11/10 - rest
    11/11 - 8.7km
    11/12 - rest
    11/13 - rest
    11/14 - 6.6 km
    11/15 - rest
    11/16 - lazy
    11/17 - 5.4km made it up
    11/18 - 10.3km
    11/19 - rest
    11/20 - rest
    11/21 - rest
    11/22 - 5.7km
    11/23 - rest
    11/24 - 4.1km

61.2/70km

Very icy today so I cut my run short. Of course the closest I came to slipping was on my own sidewalk.

Upcoming Races:
    9/24 Heartbeat Run 10K 1:24:44 (11.1km)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K

• Orphia
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @l_lake Welcome! I'm a brand new runner as well (started late spring) and I've just decided to suck it up and run outside no matter the weather. I'm in Edmonton and so far I've run in -17C for my lowest temperature. I've only done the treadmill once and I hated it. I think I would find it too easy to call it a day early using an indoor track.

My worst weather run was actually tonight as it was above freezing all day and had started to ice up before I got out. I only did 4km instead of a planned 5.

@sarahthes Wow, that's insanely cold! So is Antarctica your next challenge? You rock.
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    l_lake wrote: »
    Hi everyone!
    It's my first year running and I want to keep it going through the winter. I've been doing well with continuing to run outside in the colder weather so far, but the ground getting icy makes me nervous. I was looking into my options for the days when it's too icy to run and it looks like there's an indoor track not too far from my house. It's 400m inside a sports dome. There's also a cheapo gym I could sign up with that I could go to for treadmills.

I was just wondering if anyone had an opinion on which would be less boring?

I'm not a huge fan of the treadmill and I've never used one for the distances I've been getting to lately (7-10 km). I think I'll be bored running in place, but I'm not sure if running in a circle 25 times is going to be any better. Haha!

I guess I'm also asking if either is worth it? Or if I should just sit out the days when the ground is too treacherous and do something else instead. Go x-country skiing or skate the canal or something.

For context, I live in Ottawa, Canada. So, once winter truly hits, the sidewalks and trails I run on might never be ice free until March.

@l_lake 400m indoor track? As opposed to 200m? SOLD!!!
  • Ryokat
    Ryokat Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    The verdict this morning is that I had a bad race yesterday. Can't run. Made a firm decision that I will do no running for at least 3 days. Reported off injured from the paced run for tomorrow morning. I'm thinking the first day I feel like I can run, I should take another rest day anyway.

This could really mess up my racing schedule, but it isn't the first time. Maybe some day I'll learn to back off enough.

@MobyCarp Although RWG seems to be a tradition, maybe if next year presents with similar circumstances, Turkey Trot?