Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you both desire to lose weight and be body positive?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Weight loss for health is totally unnecessary? Please. I don't see many obese 80 year olds. Or any, that's just a fact. No study needed, just go to any retirement home and look around you. Not a single one over 75 even is obese.

I see this posted on this site all the time and I wonder where these people live. I know at least a dozen obese people over age 75 who are obese. In fact, I know more obese people in that age group than at a normal weight. They aren't healthy, but most aren't invalids either.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Is it oversimplifying it to just answer like this?

If being body-positive means you like yourself then yes you can want to lose weight and simultaneously be body-positive. Because your Self is not somehow the same thing as your body.

If being body-positive means you like your body then no you cannot want to lose weight and simultaneously be body-positive. Because if you want to change your body it means you aren't fully satisfied with your body.

I think you can be happy with yourself while simultaneously being unhappy with your body. On top of that I think there is nothing wrong with that and that doesn't somehow make you a self-loathing person. Dislike of something is often the catalyst for positive change. Admitting their are things about your body you would like to see change is really the first step in setting forth on either weight loss or fitness. Nothing wrong with that.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    If being body-positive means you like your body then no you cannot want to lose weight and simultaneously be body-positive. Because if you want to change your body it means you aren't fully satisfied with your body.

Not sure I agree with this. Liking your body and not being 'fully satisifed' with your body are not the same things. I liked my body when I was overweight. I carry weight well so didn't look too bad, I was strong, fit, healthy. But I wasn't fully satisfied with my body. I'm not sure I'd say I've ever been fully satisfied with my body. If given a magic wand I could always find some little flaw to correct. But I've always liked my body (except maybe for a couple of angst filled teenage years).
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I find this bit the hardest to explain because it's more of an experience that's hard to put into words, but I liked my body because it was MY body. It didn't matter to me what it looked like, but it looked good to me. It was just... mine. When you really like something you find the silliest things "adorable". The decision to change it came from the outside in my case, but because my body still felt "mine and I love it", I found myself admiring other "adorable" bits when the old ones changed, and the bits I don't like, I don't like lovingly, like you would a beloved ugly puppy. Yep, hard to explain. I don't believe there exists a person who is 100% fully satisfied with their body, so that kind of body positivity is nothing more than a thought experiment.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    "Please know that I never blame or judge those who participate in diet and weight loss culture. They are victims of a society that profits from their insecurities."

:worried:

RIGHT?! lol

I don't know about you but I am not a "victim" of "diet and weight loss culture".

seriously?

this post was from a site that was created to help people who have eating disorders...who are/were victims of diet and weight loss culture.

taken out of context sure it's not good but in context it makes total sense and is understandable...

Actually the article doesn't even mention eating disorders and is just about "body positivity".

excuse me?

https://everydayfeminism.com/2017/05/body-pos-definition-undebatable/ this link specifically talks about ED's and why the term was developed

The term “body positivity” was borne out of treatment for anorexia recovery in 1996, when a psychotherapist and a woman who had personal experience with an eating disorder founded thebodypositive.org.

and the other link mentions eating disorders 3x and how diet culture impacts them and how before and after pics can be poison to recovery.

That's not where the quote came from.

oh and love the phrase "these people" do you mean people with eating disorders?

nice...smh. *note sarcasm*

Who said "these people"?

you did

Actually I didn't LOL not even a little bit.

actually did a whole big bunch...

9pk290n3epe8.png

Oh wow. Okay I meant "these people" as in people who believe in this crap LOL

really because what you said was "these people are triggered by anything" which is a word used in the article discussing how weight loss comparisons can "trigger" people with ED.

but you denied it so...interesting
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    "Please know that I never blame or judge those who participate in diet and weight loss culture. They are victims of a society that profits from their insecurities."

RIGHT?! lol

I don't know about you but I am not a "victim" of "diet and weight loss culture".

seriously?

this post was from a site that was created to help people who have eating disorders...who are/were victims of diet and weight loss culture.

taken out of context sure it's not good but in context it makes total sense and is understandable...

Actually the article doesn't even mention eating disorders and is just about "body positivity".

excuse me?

https://everydayfeminism.com/2017/05/body-pos-definition-undebatable/ this link specifically talks about ED's and why the term was developed

The term “body positivity” was borne out of treatment for anorexia recovery in 1996, when a psychotherapist and a woman who had personal experience with an eating disorder founded thebodypositive.org.

and the other link mentions eating disorders 3x and how diet culture impacts them and how before and after pics can be poison to recovery.

You were just complaining about taking what boogers say at face value, because you said this was being taken out of context. For complete thoughts that stood on their own. We're not allowed to have thoughts about these things without posting the whole article.

But you don't mind taking two words @eliciaobrien1 wrote and running with them?

is there a difference between taking the first sentence of a paragraph without the rest of the discussion and posting it versus taking 2 words out of a sentence and asking what was meant by it (considering trigger was reference to people with ED's) absolutely....

and then to have her deny saying them as it now looks so bad...lol.

• Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Not sure I agree with this. Liking your body and not being 'fully satisifed' with your body are not the same things. I liked my body when I was overweight. I carry weight well so didn't look too bad, I was strong, fit, healthy. But I wasn't fully satisfied with my body. I'm not sure I'd say I've ever been fully satisfied with my body. If given a magic wand I could always find some little flaw to correct. But I've always liked my body (except maybe for a couple of angst filled teenage years).

Eh I mean we could get into a semantic argument about what "like" means but do we really want to do that?

Personally the way I am using it means if I "like" something I don't want to change it. If I want to change it then I don't "like" it. If you think that "like" is a weaker word than that then substitute in stronger word of your choice. "Love" maybe.
  • DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    for me body positivity means that every choice I make about my body, whether to remain the same, or change in some manner, comes from a place of self-love and encouragement instead of negativity and self-loathing. I started losing weight and having success in it when I shifted my thinking from "I hate being fat, low energy, and dreading stairs" to "I can be more comfortable and more able in my body, and I can do what it takes to get there." For me, body positivity refers to the attitude adjustment that puts me in a place where I can take control over my body - either own it the way it is or work on it. But I have trouble with 'fat acceptance' - body positivity is me being positive towards my body whereas fat acceptance preachers really are demanding that other people see them as they claim to see themselves. I consciously practice changing my thoughts when I catch myself judging by appearance, but fat acceptance is not just the issue of not judging by outward appearance...we know health risks are real, and I don't believe I'm loving someone I care for in this situation if I agree to turn a blind eye. I am afraid that there are real consequences to "fat acceptance"....and being cognizant of consequences is seemingly anathema to the fat acceptance movement.
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    "Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. "

Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. Studies show that our health habits (balanced diet, fitness, not smoking, not drinking excessively, etc.) make more of an impact on our health and longevity than weight ever could. We can begin to work toward fitness and eating well at any weight. Weight loss may be associated with health improvements, but there are three problems with concluding that weight loss is the solution to health problems: 1. Studies that show this association rarely take into account the health habits that typically change when someone tries to lose weight, so we really don’t know if it is the weight loss itself OR the change in health habits that are affecting health. 2. We’ve seen from other studies that health improvements can be accomplished through change in health habits in the absence of weight loss (eg. Eating a more nutrient dense diet, exercising more, etc.), and 3. Since weight loss is typically short term, any improvements made to health based on weight loss alone may end up being short term as well.

taken out of context...here is the complete paragraph.

This is the original quote you were arguing with.

with you maybe...but the one above is out of context too...

ps diet and weight loss culture as it can be defined is often rooted in the insecurities of people due to social media and society. Why do you think the "diet industry" is a multi billion dollar industry...

and don't tell me those who are doing teas and wraps etc and spending 1000$'s and 1000s of dollars on diets are not victims of society.

Sure. People spending thousands of dollars on "diets and wraps, teas, etc." are victims. Victims of their own stupidity.

hmmm interesting...

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight?
    what made you want to lose weight?
    how many times have you tried and failed
    or tried only to gain it back?
    how much money have you spent on
    pills or special diets or shakes etc?

or did you come out of your mamma smart about all things food/health and nutrition related only to choose to gain over 70lbs above your healthy weight then turn around to lose it because you knew you should.

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight? - Because I was obese and unhealthy.
    what made you want to lose weight? - Being obese and unhealthy.
    how many times have you tried and failed - Never.
    or tried only to gain it back? - Never?
    how much money have you spent on - No money.
    pills or special diets or shakes etc? - None.

I gained over 90lbs by consuming more calories then I was burning. After I had my daughter I let myself go.

Anymore questions for me?

If people did the research they would learn about counting calories and not spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary "weight-loss magic pills".

if people could do research I am sure they would to....but you can't say that those that can't do the research (either due to lack of education/intelligence/funds/equipment can be victims to society.

esp when the person telling you is a doctor or a "certified nutritionist" or a certified personal trainer...I mean when I asked my GP about eggs she told me not to eat them as they were bad...

and at your age I do hope this is the first/last and only time you do this ...but I don't expect so.

as for any further questions nope...not at this point in time...maybe in a year or two....
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Options

RIGHT?! lol

seriously?

excuse me?

You were just complaining about taking what boogers say at face value, because you said this was being taken out of context. For complete thoughts that stood on their own. We're not allowed to have thoughts about these things without posting the whole article.

But you don't mind taking two words @eliciaobrien1 wrote and running with them?

is there a difference between taking the first sentence of a paragraph without the rest of the discussion and posting it versus taking 2 words out of a sentence and asking what was meant by it (considering trigger was reference to people with ED's) absolutely....

and then to have her deny saying them as it now looks so bad...lol.

LOL When I said "these people" I didn't mean people with ED's. That's it. You can't tell me I meant something I didn't.
  • whosshe
    edited November 2017
    Options

Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. Studies show that our health habits (balanced diet, fitness, not smoking, not drinking excessively, etc.) make more of an impact on our health and longevity than weight ever could. We can begin to work toward fitness and eating well at any weight. Weight loss may be associated with health improvements, but there are three problems with concluding that weight loss is the solution to health problems: 1. Studies that show this association rarely take into account the health habits that typically change when someone tries to lose weight, so we really don’t know if it is the weight loss itself OR the change in health habits that are affecting health. 2. We’ve seen from other studies that health improvements can be accomplished through change in health habits in the absence of weight loss (eg. Eating a more nutrient dense diet, exercising more, etc.), and 3. Since weight loss is typically short term, any improvements made to health based on weight loss alone may end up being short term as well.

ps diet and weight loss culture as it can be defined is often rooted in the insecurities of people due to social media and society. Why do you think the "diet industry" is a multi billion dollar industry...

and don't tell me those who are doing teas and wraps etc and spending 1000$'s and 1000s of dollars on diets are not victims of society.

Sure. People spending thousands of dollars on "diets and wraps, teas, etc." are victims. Victims of their own stupidity.

hmmm interesting...

or did you come out of your mamma smart about all things food/health and nutrition related only to choose to gain over 70lbs above your healthy weight then turn around to lose it because you knew you should.

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight? - Because I was obese and unhealthy.

I gained over 90lbs by consuming more calories then I was burning. After I had my daughter I let myself go.

If people did the research they would learn about counting calories and not spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary "weight-loss magic pills".

if people could do research I am sure they would to....but you can't say that those that can't do the research (either due to lack of education/intelligence/funds/equipment can be victims to society.

esp when the person telling you is a doctor or a "certified nutritionist" or a certified personal trainer...I mean when I asked my GP about eggs she told me not to eat them as they were bad...

and at your age I do hope this is the first/last and only time you do this ...but I don't expect so.

as for any further questions nope...not at this point in time...maybe in a year or two....

Why do you expect me to gain all the weight back? Why is this about me at all?
  • Lisa8823168
    Lisa8823168 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree with distinctlybea... above. For those who subscribe to wholly and with need to the movement, the original form is not compatible with both weight loss and body positivity.

However, as with many movements, there are those who can enjoy the message and apply it in ways that speak to their life and experiences. It is OK to pick out the parts that are helpful and meaningful. Take the Baptist Religion as an example. How many versions of it (especially in the south) might you find? Yet they all center back to the supporting body of the Baptist Sunday School Board, in Nashville TN.

The methodology and messaging all centered on reducing focus on changing body weight through disordered eating and exercise. The key here is the word disordered.

Someone without a disorder can still pull out the positive vibe, embrace the love yourself message and approach, positively, a nutrition plan that causes weight loss. The point is not so much focusing on changing body weight as much as changing mentally and emotionally how you view food and proper nutrition and exercise.

The concept of body positive is expanding. It may have its roots in treatment for anorexia recovery but the treatment of obesity has caused it to evolve. Though some people may be obese because they just like food, most have some sort of emotional trigger giving the disorders a common denominator to anorexia. Treatment by being positive on who you are, liking yourself as a person, is a powerful tool.

The OP may not be subscribing to the original movement...but using the tools in a way that helps her...which means she can do both. The limits are really on her.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Eh I mean we could get into a semantic argument about what "like" means but do we really want to do that?

Personally the way I am using it means if I "like" something I don't want to change it. If I want to change it then I don't "like" it. If you think that "like" is a weaker word than that then substitute in stronger word of your choice. "Love" maybe.

I guess I just disagree with the whole concept. I love my husband. Are there things about him I'd like to change? Um, no no. Not at all.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

hmmm interesting...

Why do you expect me to gain all the weight back? Why is this about me at all? You are being very rude.

Sadly, the odds are that you will. That I will. That @SezxyStef will. Most people who lose weight, regain. The odds of that happening are greater than the odds of developing disease because you are overweight.

Here's hoping none of use do. #fingerscrossed
  • whosshe
    edited November 2017
    Options

hmmm interesting...

Why do you expect me to gain all the weight back? Why is this about me at all? You are being very rude.

Sadly, the odds are that you will. That I will. That @SezxyStef will. Most people who lose weight, regain. The odds of that happening are greater than the odds of developing disease because you are overweight.

The thing is even if I do gain the weight back I'll know why. Consuming more calories than I burn. I'll never be able to be in denial about that.

I'm never going to just accept being fat and then say that I'm healthy and that weight-loss would have no health benefit whatsoever.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

hmmm interesting...

The thing is even if I do gain the weight back I'll know why. Consuming more calories than I burn. I'll never be able to be in denial about that.

I'll be honest. Except for people with a valid medical condition that affects weight, I have trouble believing anyone that says they don't know why they gain weight.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

hmmm interesting...

I'll be honest. Except for people with a valid medical condition that affects weight, I have trouble believing anyone that says they don't know why they gain weight.

Even with a valid medical condition the level of impact to metabolism is so low (~5% reduction to Resting Energy Expenditure (REE)). Speaking as someone with a valid medical condition.

They know why, but taking responsibility for one's actions is more terrifying than living the lie.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

hmmm interesting...

Even with a valid medical condition the level of impact to metabolism is so low (~5% reduction to Resting Energy Expenditure (REE)). Speaking as someone with a valid medical condition.

They know why, but taking responsibility for one's actions is more terrifying than living the lie.

Just because you have a medical condition doesn't mean others with the same or different medical condition wouldn't be confused when the rules for weight loss suddenly change for them.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »

hmmm interesting...

Just because you have a medical condition doesn't mean others with the same or different medical condition wouldn't be confused when the rules for weight loss suddenly change for them.

True, but there are not any medical conditions that override the principle of CICO. You simply have to adjust your strategy to accommodate.