Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you both desire to lose weight and be body positive?

Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    "Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. "

:worried:

Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. Studies show that our health habits (balanced diet, fitness, not smoking, not drinking excessively, etc.) make more of an impact on our health and longevity than weight ever could. We can begin to work toward fitness and eating well at any weight. Weight loss may be associated with health improvements, but there are three problems with concluding that weight loss is the solution to health problems: 1. Studies that show this association rarely take into account the health habits that typically change when someone tries to lose weight, so we really don’t know if it is the weight loss itself OR the change in health habits that are affecting health. 2. We’ve seen from other studies that health improvements can be accomplished through change in health habits in the absence of weight loss (eg. Eating a more nutrient dense diet, exercising more, etc.), and 3. Since weight loss is typically short term, any improvements made to health based on weight loss alone may end up being short term as well.

taken out of context...here is the complete paragraph.

"Please know that I never blame or judge those who participate in diet and weight loss culture. They are victims of a society that profits from their insecurities."

This is the original quote you were arguing with.

with you maybe...but the one above is out of context too...

ps diet and weight loss culture as it can be defined is often rooted in the insecurities of people due to social media and society. Why do you think the "diet industry" is a multi billion dollar industry...

and don't tell me those who are doing teas and wraps etc and spending 1000$'s and 1000s of dollars on diets are not victims of society.

Sure. People spending thousands of dollars on "diets and wraps, teas, etc." are victims. Victims of their own stupidity.

hmmm interesting...

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight?
    what made you want to lose weight?
    how many times have you tried and failed
    or tried only to gain it back?
    how much money have you spent on
    pills or special diets or shakes etc?

or did you come out of your mamma smart about all things food/health and nutrition related only to choose to gain over 70lbs above your healthy weight then turn around to lose it because you knew you should.

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight? - Because I was obese and unhealthy.
    what made you want to lose weight? - Being obese and unhealthy.
    how many times have you tried and failed - Never.
    or tried only to gain it back? - Never?
    how much money have you spent on - No money.
    pills or special diets or shakes etc? - None.

I gained over 90lbs by consuming more calories then I was burning. After I had my daughter I let myself go.

Anymore questions for me?

If people did the research they would learn about counting calories and not spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary "weight-loss magic pills".

if people could do research I am sure they would to....but you can't say that those that can't do the research (either due to lack of education/intelligence/funds/equipment can be victims to society.

esp when the person telling you is a doctor or a "certified nutritionist" or a certified personal trainer...I mean when I asked my GP about eggs she told me not to eat them as they were bad...

and at your age I do hope this is the first/last and only time you do this ...but I don't expect so.

as for any further questions nope...not at this point in time...maybe in a year or two....

Why do you expect me to gain all the weight back? Why is this about me at all? You are being very rude.

Sadly, the odds are that you will. That I will. That @SezxyStef will. Most people who lose weight, regain. The odds of that happening are greater than the odds of developing disease because you are overweight.

Here's hoping none of use do. #fingerscrossed

The thing is even if I do gain the weight back I'll know why. Consuming more calories than I burn. I'll never be able to be in denial about that.

I'll be honest. Except for people with a valid medical condition that affects weight, I have trouble believing anyone that says they don't know why they gain weight.

Even with a valid medical condition the level of impact to metabolism is so low (~5% reduction to Resting Energy Expenditure (REE)). Speaking as someone with a valid medical condition.

They know why, but taking responsibility for one's actions is more terrifying than living the lie.

Just because you have a medical condition doesn't mean others with the same or different medical condition wouldn't be confused when the rules for weight loss suddenly change for them.

True, but there are not any medical conditions that override the principle of CICO. You simply have to adjust your strategy to accommodate.

I wasn't suggesting there were. Though some medical conditions can cause weight gain that is not fat.
  • Dukare
    Dukare Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    You can certainly be body positive in the sense that you want to look good in clothes now as well as wanting to lose weight for other reasons - say health. Just talk about the now with the fashion/clothes people and the process of getting to the future here :)

This is it exactly.

I think where I'm at now is just fine- I'm beautiful and happy. However, I know I should lose weight to be healthy and active. .... thus, I am choosing to lose weight to become not only healthy and active, but also even more gorgeous and happy with myself. Bettering yourself involves more than just changing a scale number.

Love your body and your curves as you are, as you grow, as you evolve to the best you can be - physically and more
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. Studies show that our health habits (balanced diet, fitness, not smoking, not drinking excessively, etc.) make more of an impact on our health and longevity than weight ever could. We can begin to work toward fitness and eating well at any weight. Weight loss may be associated with health improvements, but there are three problems with concluding that weight loss is the solution to health problems: 1. Studies that show this association rarely take into account the health habits that typically change when someone tries to lose weight, so we really don’t know if it is the weight loss itself OR the change in health habits that are affecting health. 2. We’ve seen from other studies that health improvements can be accomplished through change in health habits in the absence of weight loss (eg. Eating a more nutrient dense diet, exercising more, etc.), and 3. Since weight loss is typically short term, any improvements made to health based on weight loss alone may end up being short term as well.

"Please know that I never blame or judge those who participate in diet and weight loss culture. They are victims of a society that profits from their insecurities."

ps diet and weight loss culture as it can be defined is often rooted in the insecurities of people due to social media and society. Why do you think the "diet industry" is a multi billion dollar industry...

and don't tell me those who are doing teas and wraps etc and spending 1000$'s and 1000s of dollars on diets are not victims of society.

Sure. People spending thousands of dollars on "diets and wraps, teas, etc." are victims. Victims of their own stupidity.

hmmm interesting...

or did you come out of your mamma smart about all things food/health and nutrition related only to choose to gain over 70lbs above your healthy weight then turn around to lose it because you knew you should.

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight? - Because I was obese and unhealthy.

I gained over 90lbs by consuming more calories then I was burning. After I had my daughter I let myself go.

If people did the research they would learn about counting calories and not spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary "weight-loss magic pills".

if people could do research I am sure they would to....but you can't say that those that can't do the research (either due to lack of education/intelligence/funds/equipment can be victims to society.

esp when the person telling you is a doctor or a "certified nutritionist" or a certified personal trainer...I mean when I asked my GP about eggs she told me not to eat them as they were bad...

and at your age I do hope this is the first/last and only time you do this ...but I don't expect so.

as for any further questions nope...not at this point in time...maybe in a year or two....

Why do you expect me to gain all the weight back? Why is this about me at all? You are being very rude.

Sadly, the odds are that you will. That I will. That @SezxyStef will. Most people who lose weight, regain. The odds of that happening are greater than the odds of developing disease because you are overweight.

The thing is even if I do gain the weight back I'll know why. Consuming more calories than I burn. I'll never be able to be in denial about that.

I'll be honest. Except for people with a valid medical condition that affects weight, I have trouble believing anyone that says they don't know why they gain weight.

you might be surprised at the number of people that actually lack the education or knowledge.

Not kidding...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    If being body-positive means you like your body then no you cannot want to lose weight and simultaneously be body-positive. Because if you want to change your body it means you aren't fully satisfied with your body.

Not sure I agree with this. Liking your body and not being 'fully satisifed' with your body are not the same things. I liked my body when I was overweight. I carry weight well so didn't look too bad, I was strong, fit, healthy. But I wasn't fully satisfied with my body. I'm not sure I'd say I've ever been fully satisfied with my body. If given a magic wand I could always find some little flaw to correct. But I've always liked my body (except maybe for a couple of angst filled teenage years).

Eh I mean we could get into a semantic argument about what "like" means but do we really want to do that?

Personally the way I am using it means if I "like" something I don't want to change it. If I want to change it then I don't "like" it. If you think that "like" is a weaker word than that then substitute in stronger word of your choice. "Love" maybe.

I guess I just disagree with the whole concept. I love my husband. Are there things about him I'd like to change? Um, no no. Not at all.

See that is different. Your husband is a person, like yourself. Just like I can like myself but not like my body you can like your husband while still not liking things about him.

But at the point you say I want to change something about my body (which isn't you, its just a physical thing) then what you are saying (to me) is "I don't like my body as it currently is". Which again is totally fine and healthy and normal.

I think there are a lot of people who equate their bodies as BEING them and therefore they baulk at the idea that if they want to lose weight they don't like their body because in their head they are hearing that the person is saying they don't like themselves.

I think for people who view their bodies as being THEM and people who view their bodies as something they are just occupying that isn't THEM that those two types of people will forever talk past eachother on issues like this.
  • Dukare
    Options

I think there are a lot of people who equate their bodies as BEING them and therefore they baulk at the idea that if they want to lose weight they don't like their body because in their head they are hearing that the person is saying they don't like themselves.

I can vouch for this -I have had this problem a lot. I battle between isolating my fat body as just a body that wasn't taken care of properly . .... by wanting to change it to a more healthy version, to have a healthier version of it doesn't mean, necessarily, that I hate who I am.
    .... I have to constantly remind myself that I'm still ME... it is really hard to combat let me tell you!
  • SezxyStef
    Options

hmmm interesting...

Yup...I gained with my child and yo yo'd for a long time...(too old for the internet when I started)

tried weight watchers, atkins, beachbody, exercising etc...

when I found MFP it clicked...and I've been in maintenance for almost 4 years...

could I gain yup if I wasn't careful...will I...trying to beat the odds....

so far so good...

and I am not being rude really just blunt...and honest as I see things.
  • Dukare
    Options
    DKG28 wrote: »
    for me body positivity means that every choice I make about my body, whether to remain the same, or change in some manner, comes from a place of self-love and encouragement instead of negativity and self-loathing. I started losing weight and having success in it when I shifted my thinking from "I hate being fat, low energy, and dreading stairs" to "I can be more comfortable and more able in my body, and I can do what it takes to get there." For me, body positivity refers to the attitude adjustment that puts me in a place where I can take control over my body - either own it the way it is or work on it. But I have trouble with 'fat acceptance' - body positivity is me being positive towards my body whereas fat acceptance preachers really are demanding that other people see them as they claim to see themselves. I consciously practice changing my thoughts when I catch myself judging by appearance, but fat acceptance is not just the issue of not judging by outward appearance...we know health risks are real, and I don't believe I'm loving someone I care for in this situation if I agree to turn a blind eye. I am afraid that there are real consequences to "fat acceptance"....and being cognizant of consequences is seemingly anathema to the fat acceptance movement.

Thank you! I have been trying to explain this to my friend before and never could put my finger on what the difference was!
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Weight loss for health is totally unnecessary? Please. I don't see many obese 80 year olds. Or any, that's just a fact. No study needed, just go to any retirement home and look around you. Not a single one over 75 even is obese.

I see this posted on this site all the time and I wonder where these people live. I know at least a dozen obese people over age 75 who are obese. In fact, I know more obese people in that age group than at a normal weight. They aren't healthy, but most aren't invalids either.

Do you think they have taken care of their bodies? Are they happy with their ability to navigate the world? Are they as pain free as someone who was active and ate reasonably their whole lives? The answer is no.

I stand behind my original statement, which you didn't quote - If you love yourself you take care of yourself. You can't be body positive and celebrate unhealthy practices. The two just don't equate.

• NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

RIGHT?! lol

I don't know about you but I am not a "victim" of "diet and weight loss culture".

seriously?

this post was from a site that was created to help people who have eating disorders...who are/were victims of diet and weight loss culture.

taken out of context sure it's not good but in context it makes total sense and is understandable...

Actually the article doesn't even mention eating disorders and is just about "body positivity".

excuse me?

https://everydayfeminism.com/2017/05/body-pos-definition-undebatable/ this link specifically talks about ED's and why the term was developed

The term “body positivity” was borne out of treatment for anorexia recovery in 1996, when a psychotherapist and a woman who had personal experience with an eating disorder founded thebodypositive.org.

and the other link mentions eating disorders 3x and how diet culture impacts them and how before and after pics can be poison to recovery.

That's not where the quote came from.

oh and love the phrase "these people" do you mean people with eating disorders?

nice...smh. *note sarcasm*

You were just complaining about taking what boogers say at face value, because you said this was being taken out of context. For complete thoughts that stood on their own. We're not allowed to have thoughts about these things without posting the whole article.

But you don't mind taking two words @eliciaobrien1 wrote and running with them?

is there a difference between taking the first sentence of a paragraph without the rest of the discussion and posting it versus taking 2 words out of a sentence and asking what was meant by it (considering trigger was reference to people with ED's) absolutely....

and then to have her deny saying them as it now looks so bad...lol.

Yes. A full sentence is a complete thought that's able to stand on its own and provide the context it needs. Two words can't usually do that.

Next easy question?

Edit to add: after reading the entire thread, I see you went so far as to look up the quote in question and paste the entire page it came from, but when I asked your opinion on it you don't seem to have one.
  • Dukare
    Options
    Weight loss for health is totally unnecessary? Please. I don't see many obese 80 year olds. Or any, that's just a fact. No study needed, just go to any retirement home and look around you. Not a single one over 75 even is obese.

I see this posted on this site all the time and I wonder where these people live. I know at least a dozen obese people over age 75 who are obese. In fact, I know more obese people in that age group than at a normal weight. They aren't healthy, but most aren't invalids either.

Do you think they have taken care of their bodies? Are they happy with their ability to navigate the world? Are they as pain free as someone who was active and ate reasonably their whole lives? The answer is no.

I stand behind my original statement, which you didn't quote - If you love yourself you take care of yourself. You can't be body positive and celebrate unhealthy practices. The two just don't equate.

Not to be too philosophical, but while I 99% agree, I believe that part of taking care of your body is to allow it to have the reigns slacken and sometimes celebrate those unhealthy practices (within reason of course) .... for the overall health and well-being of yourself.

(This is with the assumption that you are taking care of your body...and not a reason to break your hard work when you are on the path to bettering yourself).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

hmmm interesting...

Even with a valid medical condition the level of impact to metabolism is so low (~5% reduction to Resting Energy Expenditure (REE)). Speaking as someone with a valid medical condition.

They know why, but taking responsibility for one's actions is more terrifying than living the lie.

Just because you have a medical condition doesn't mean others with the same or different medical condition wouldn't be confused when the rules for weight loss suddenly change for them.

True, but there are not any medical conditions that override the principle of CICO. You simply have to adjust your strategy to accommodate.

There are some medical conditions that can lead to malabsorption but you'll get skinny not fat.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If the medical condition really truly made that person fat then if that person stopped eating completely they would remain fat.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

RIGHT?! lol

I don't know about you but I am not a "victim" of "diet and weight loss culture".

seriously?

this post was from a site that was created to help people who have eating disorders...who are/were victims of diet and weight loss culture.

taken out of context sure it's not good but in context it makes total sense and is understandable...

Actually the article doesn't even mention eating disorders and is just about "body positivity".

excuse me?

https://everydayfeminism.com/2017/05/body-pos-definition-undebatable/ this link specifically talks about ED's and why the term was developed

The term “body positivity” was borne out of treatment for anorexia recovery in 1996, when a psychotherapist and a woman who had personal experience with an eating disorder founded thebodypositive.org.

and the other link mentions eating disorders 3x and how diet culture impacts them and how before and after pics can be poison to recovery.

That's not where the quote came from.

oh and love the phrase "these people" do you mean people with eating disorders?

nice...smh. *note sarcasm*

You were just complaining about taking what boogers say at face value, because you said this was being taken out of context. For complete thoughts that stood on their own. We're not allowed to have thoughts about these things without posting the whole article.

But you don't mind taking two words @eliciaobrien1 wrote and running with them?

is there a difference between taking the first sentence of a paragraph without the rest of the discussion and posting it versus taking 2 words out of a sentence and asking what was meant by it (considering trigger was reference to people with ED's) absolutely....

and then to have her deny saying them as it now looks so bad...lol.

Yes. A full sentence is a complete thought that's able to stand on its own and provide the context it needs. Two words can't usually do that.

Next easy question?

Edit to add: after reading the entire thread, I see you went so far as to look up the quote in question and paste the entire page it came from, but when I asked your opinion on it you don't seem to have one.

Yes I left work after I had copied the page.
    How do I feel about that one statement...or how do I feel about the statement in context of which it was written?

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

Do you agree that "Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary?"

This was never answered. And the whole paragraph just explains why they think weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary.

They say "weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary" and then go to explain why that is true. So taking that first sentence isn't taking the paragraph out of context.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Are we our bodies? In a culture that worships youth, our ideal state might be over by the time we hit our thirties. Just from an aesthetic point of view. Surely there's a reason that youth serums, plastic surgeries and panic bikini dieting exists.

Then there's our bodies as machines. All power to our marathoners, skiers, runners, and various sporters. There is something glorious about perfecting our bodies to optimum performance. Being on the tail end of maturity, I've switched over to "keeping what I've got".

And finally, there's our minds, intelligence, conscience, wisdom and integrity. Qualities which I sadly believe are too often overlooked in our society. Because this is where maturity shines even when our bodies don't.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    If the medical condition really truly made that person fat then if that person stopped eating completely they would remain fat.

Correct. Though they wouldn't actually be "fat" they'd just be overweight.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Are we our bodies? In a culture that worships youth, our ideal state might be over by the time we hit our thirties. Just from an aesthetic point of view. Surely there's a reason that youth serums, plastic surgeries and panic bikini dieting exists.

Then there's our bodies as machines. All power to our marathoners, skiers, runners, and various sporters. There is something glorious about perfecting our bodies to optimum performance. Being on the tail end of maturity, I've switched over to "keeping what I've got".

And finally, there's our minds, intelligence, conscience, wisdom and integrity. Qualities which I sadly believe are too often overlooked in our society. Because this is where maturity shines even when our bodies don't.

I'm definitely in the "body as machine" category. Not to say i'm an athlete like in your example. Its more like I notice I am running low on oil and I'll let it go for a bit too long but then eventually there is that annoying burning smell and so I finally go deal with it. Sometimes the wife pesters me about making sure to get the oil checked frequently so I don't have to worry about it and I know she is right but sometimes other things just seem more important. Now and again I get really into prioritizing getting the machine up and running tip-top and when I focus on it I'm quite the mechanic but then I'll get distracted by something else and let things slide a bit. I don't really feel bad about that it just is what it is.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    lymphedema

It is water buildup.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

No they have not taken care of their bodies, obviously. They are obese.

Are they happy with their ability to navigate the world? Not sure exactly what "navigate the world" means, but most of them are not unhappy in general, and not unhappy enough with their bodies to do anything about it.

Are they as pain free as someone who was active and ate reasonably their whole lives? That's an unknown. They have outlived some people who did that. Weight and activity is not the only things that affect our health as we age.

As for the other statement I had no reason to quote it. I was responding to your assertion that there were no obese people over 75, which is untrue.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I really with the "HAAS" movement was framed differently.

I firmly believe that Attractive At Any Weight is an achievable and realistic ideology. There are plenty of women that are gorgeous despite being heavy.

But trying to warp that into saying you can be HEALTHY at any weight is disgusting and dangerous.

And being attractive is REALLY what it's all about anyways. People want to feel attractive, beautiful, and they have every right to. But we play mind-games to convince ourselves it's really about health, because society looks down on vanity, which I also think is stupid, but that's a point for another day.