Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you both desire to lose weight and be body positive?

I am a big fan of fashion bloggers on YouTube and social media in general especially plus sized ones, just more relatable I guess. But, a lot of them push body positivity which I love but I feel like that community exiles everyone trying to 'better' themselves. Can I want to lose weight and be body positive. Because trying to change my appearance and love it is kind of the opposite. I am all for the fat positive movement and general acceptance of everyone but I don't know if I am able to do both.

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Since I don't have a clear idea of what 'body positive' is, I'll analogize it as asking if one can both walk and chew gum. Yes. And rub your belly while patting your head. You're a human. Juggle!
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    edited November 2017
    I find myself conflicted as well. I want to be body positive and such but my fitness goals (ability related) are not commensurate with the body type I currently have. So it gets fun juggling those two ideals in my head at the same time. what I try to do is focus on my goals. Visualize them, and what it will take to get there without focusing on my weight or body type too much.

More of a "I'm going to go to the gym to do XZY workout and eat enough but not too much to support my work outs and feel good" than a "I need to workout to lose weight and barely eat because weight loss".
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    You can certainly be body positive in the sense that you want to look good in clothes now as well as wanting to lose weight for other reasons - say health. Just talk about the now with the fashion/clothes people and the process of getting to the future here :)
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Of course you can! That YouTube channel is pandering and most certainly trying to sell something.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    I think a big part of body positivity is not only learning to love your own body, but supporting others in their decisions about what's best for their bodies, even when their goals are different from yours. I would suggest being careful about what you're saying when you're discussing what your goals are and how you want to "better" yourself. It's easy for that to come across as you saying that your goals are better in a GENERAL sense, even if that's not what you mean.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    edited November 2017
    I am a big fan of fashion bloggers on YouTube and social media in general especially plus sized ones, just more relatable I guess. But, a lot of them push body positivity which I love but I feel like that community exiles everyone trying to 'better' themselves. Can I want to lose weight and be body positive. Because trying to change my appearance and love it is kind of the opposite. I am all for the fat positive movement and general acceptance of everyone but I don't know if I am able to do both.

If the community exiles everyone trying to "better" themselves stop following that community. Body positivity is a made-up thing so it can literally mean anything to you. A lot of youtube vloggers or instagram stars have no want to better themselves and get healthy. A lot of them are in denial. But there are also a lot of them who got healthy, lost the weight, and want to motivate you to "better" yourself. I'd suggest following someone such as @ericafitlove or @graciesjourney (both on instagram and I think youtube).
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Certainly.

I've lost ~20 lbs since my profile pic was taken. I'm shooting to lose about another 20. losing those 40 pounds will make it easier for me to run, and will improve my ability to do other neat tricks.
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Once you have a nice body you can be quite positive about yourself.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    We invest time and energy into things we love, so self improvement is simply an act of love.

The simple fact that a group is attempting to "exile" anyone improving themselves tells you much about their mindset. Doesn't seem like positivity at all.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    absolutely.

I didn't lose the weight to feel better about myself or to look better...I lost it for health reasons.

I always knew I looked fine and had enough confidence that is can border on cockiness (and I am good with that too btw)

I actually find with lots of people that if they lose the weight to "feel better about themselves" chances are they will regain either because they don't feel better about themselves or they aren't in a space where maintenance is attainable to them because they haven't dealt with the issues that got them fat in the first place.