Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Can you both desire to lose weight and be body positive?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    "Please know that I never blame or judge those who participate in diet and weight loss culture. They are victims of a society that profits from their insecurities."

:worried:

RIGHT?! lol

I don't know about you but I am not a "victim" of "diet and weight loss culture".

seriously?

this post was from a site that was created to help people who have eating disorders...who are/were victims of diet and weight loss culture.

taken out of context sure it's not good but in context it makes total sense and is understandable...

Actually the article doesn't even mention eating disorders and is just about "body positivity".

excuse me?

https://everydayfeminism.com/2017/05/body-pos-definition-undebatable/ this link specifically talks about ED's and why the term was developed

The term “body positivity” was borne out of treatment for anorexia recovery in 1996, when a psychotherapist and a woman who had personal experience with an eating disorder founded thebodypositive.org.

and the other link mentions eating disorders 3x and how diet culture impacts them and how before and after pics can be poison to recovery.

That's not where the quote came from.

oh and love the phrase "these people" do you mean people with eating disorders?

nice...smh. *note sarcasm*

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Regardless of whether y’all agree with what the movement stands for, the articles provide an answer to this thread’s original question from the standpoint of those within the body positive movement. No, weight loss and body positivity in its original form are not compatible; even more than that, they are mutually exclusive.

This is true, but only in it's original form. Like pretty much every term associated with weight loss or fitness as soon as it's defined people start redefining it to suit their own ideals.
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    "Please know that I never blame or judge those who participate in diet and weight loss culture. They are victims of a society that profits from their insecurities."

RIGHT?! lol

I don't know about you but I am not a "victim" of "diet and weight loss culture".

seriously?

this post was from a site that was created to help people who have eating disorders...who are/were victims of diet and weight loss culture.

taken out of context sure it's not good but in context it makes total sense and is understandable...

I don't think that's true because a lot of the page that quote comes from talks about obesity and about the failure of dieting to end obesity in the long term. That would be a really strange and bizarre context for anorexics, don't you agree?

Agreed. I found a lot of that page to be incongruous with the posted definition of body positivity. We did a LOT of work on body positivity in my eating disorder treatment group and it was in line with the posted definition-creating a healthy non-weight/appearance driven relationship with your body. Since people in my group were at all places on the weight spectrum (and actually represented ALL the body types that body positivity is supposed to accept), there was talk about living and making healthy choices. I understand the dangers of “dieting” particularly in the context of eating disordered individuals. However, categorical chastisement of all weight loss (with no mention of weight gain) as being part of “diet culture” vs attempts to live a healthy life making healthy changes? I guess now I see how “body positivity” is interpreted as applying just to large ones.

Not all weight loss. Intentional weight loss.
  • whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    "Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. "

Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. Studies show that our health habits (balanced diet, fitness, not smoking, not drinking excessively, etc.) make more of an impact on our health and longevity than weight ever could. We can begin to work toward fitness and eating well at any weight. Weight loss may be associated with health improvements, but there are three problems with concluding that weight loss is the solution to health problems: 1. Studies that show this association rarely take into account the health habits that typically change when someone tries to lose weight, so we really don’t know if it is the weight loss itself OR the change in health habits that are affecting health. 2. We’ve seen from other studies that health improvements can be accomplished through change in health habits in the absence of weight loss (eg. Eating a more nutrient dense diet, exercising more, etc.), and 3. Since weight loss is typically short term, any improvements made to health based on weight loss alone may end up being short term as well.

taken out of context...here is the complete paragraph.

This is the original quote you were arguing with.
  • whosshe

RIGHT?! lol

seriously?

Actually the article doesn't even mention eating disorders and is just about "body positivity".

excuse me?

https://everydayfeminism.com/2017/05/body-pos-definition-undebatable/ this link specifically talks about ED's and why the term was developed

The term “body positivity” was borne out of treatment for anorexia recovery in 1996, when a psychotherapist and a woman who had personal experience with an eating disorder founded thebodypositive.org.

and the other link mentions eating disorders 3x and how diet culture impacts them and how before and after pics can be poison to recovery.

Who said "these people"?
  • SezxyStef

Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary. Studies show that our health habits (balanced diet, fitness, not smoking, not drinking excessively, etc.) make more of an impact on our health and longevity than weight ever could. We can begin to work toward fitness and eating well at any weight. Weight loss may be associated with health improvements, but there are three problems with concluding that weight loss is the solution to health problems: 1. Studies that show this association rarely take into account the health habits that typically change when someone tries to lose weight, so we really don’t know if it is the weight loss itself OR the change in health habits that are affecting health. 2. We’ve seen from other studies that health improvements can be accomplished through change in health habits in the absence of weight loss (eg. Eating a more nutrient dense diet, exercising more, etc.), and 3. Since weight loss is typically short term, any improvements made to health based on weight loss alone may end up being short term as well.

with you maybe...but the one above is out of context too...

ps diet and weight loss culture as it can be defined is often rooted in the insecurities of people due to social media and society. Why do you think the "diet industry" is a multi billion dollar industry...

and don't tell me those who are doing teas and wraps etc and spending 1000$'s and 1000s of dollars on diets are not victims of society.
  • SezxyStef

RIGHT?! lol

seriously?

excuse me?

Who said "these people"?

you did
  • distinctlybeautiful
    distinctlybeautiful Posts: 1,041 Member
    Regardless of whether y’all agree with what the movement stands for, the articles provide an answer to this thread’s original question from the standpoint of those within the body positive movement. No, weight loss and body positivity in its original form are not compatible; even more than that, they are mutually exclusive.

This is true, but only in it's original form. Like pretty much every term associated with weight loss or fitness as soon as it's defined people start redefining it to suit their own ideals.

Of course, and that’s mainstream body positivity which has come to mean simply being positive about one’s body. There are, however, much less known and much less understood communities that work really hard to create a safe space away from diet culture, and I think their views are just as valid and are worth being heard in response to this question as well.
  • toddandwendy3
    toddandwendy3 Posts: 32 Member
    You can do whatever you want to do
  • whosshe

ps diet and weight loss culture as it can be defined is often rooted in the insecurities of people due to social media and society. Why do you think the "diet industry" is a multi billion dollar industry...

and don't tell me those who are doing teas and wraps etc and spending 1000$'s and 1000s of dollars on diets are not victims of society.

Sure. People spending thousands of dollars on "diets and wraps, teas, etc." are victims. Victims of their own stupidity.
  • whosshe

RIGHT?! lol

seriously?

excuse me?

Who said "these people"?

you did

Actually I didn't LOL not even a little bit.
  • SezxyStef

RIGHT?! lol

seriously?

excuse me?

Who said "these people"?

you did

actually did a whole big bunch...

9pk290n3epe8.png

• whosshe

RIGHT?! lol

seriously?

excuse me?

Who said "these people"?

you did

actually did a whole big bunch...

9pk290n3epe8.png

Oh wow. Okay I meant "these people" as in people who believe in this crap LOL
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

Do you agree that "Weight loss for health is wholly unnecessary?"
  • whosshe
    edited November 2017

Sure. People spending thousands of dollars on "diets and wraps, teas, etc." are victims. Victims of their own stupidity.

hmmm interesting...

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight?
    what made you want to lose weight?
    how many times have you tried and failed
    or tried only to gain it back?
    how much money have you spent on
    pills or special diets or shakes etc?

or did you come out of your mamma smart about all things food/health and nutrition related only to choose to gain over 70lbs above your healthy weight then turn around to lose it because you knew you should.

so tell us then...why are you here losing weight? - Because I was obese and unhealthy.
    what made you want to lose weight? - Being obese and unhealthy.
    how many times have you tried and failed - Never.
    or tried only to gain it back? - Never?
    how much money have you spent on - No money.
    pills or special diets or shakes etc? - None.

I gained over 90lbs by consuming more calories then I was burning. After I had my daughter I let myself go.

Anymore questions for me?

If people did the research they would learn about counting calories and not spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary "weight-loss magic pills".
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member

RIGHT?! lol

seriously?

excuse me?

You were just complaining about taking what boogers say at face value, because you said this was being taken out of context. For complete thoughts that stood on their own. We're not allowed to have thoughts about these things without posting the whole article.

But you don't mind taking two words @eliciaobrien1 wrote and running with them?