Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• addicted2cola
    addicted2cola Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I dunno... maybe i am just a weirdo.. but.. i can make my own donairs..

fzx67i4t3d2j.jpg
    (Cause i know people are gonna be like.. what the *kitten* is a donair?!"

But despite that.. eventually i will get a craving for one from a take out place.. even with substitutes available.
    i know there are people out there who can just not substitute and just go without.. but i feel like the amount who can compared to the amount of keto enthusiasts claiming as such just don't add up..

you know eventually i am going to look like one of those crazy conspiracy theorists who instead of ranting about a flat earth or the moon landing not happening, I will be jibber jabbering about keto and cravings lol

See, now you've set me with a major craving for these, and I only JUST had one this weekend lol. The place that made the best ones in St. John's shut down, and I've been trying to find a substitute ever since. Maybe I'll get one when I'm in Dartmouth in January. *insert drooling smiley*

Dartmouth.. my recommendation is Roberts pizza they are beyond massive lol two meals probably

Done haha. I will look them up when I get there! Thanks :smiley:
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Quick reference for bullsh*t on the internet.

Is the message in line with current expert consensus on the topic and the page is well cited and there are no advertisments? Probably not BS.

Is the message in line with current expert consensus on the topic but the page is actively promoting a product and/or lined with ads? Be skeptical, probably not the best source for unbiased info.

Is the message counter to established expert opinion on the topic but the page cites things and there are no advertisments. Be skeptical but hear them out.

Is the message counter to established expert opinion on the topic and the page is covered in ads trying to sell you things? Most likely BS.

Is the message counter to established expert opinion on the topic and the author themselves is actively promoting and selling their own products? Definately BS...run.

I would suggest that since nothing is free, as long as the advertising is of the "generic sort" and is not targeted to the topic of the article, that the existence of advertising is a useful but not sufficient discriminator
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    In my case as most others if there were hormonal changes by doing keto we have no way to know what they were or why they changed in a medical sense.

When on a hunch I cut out sugar and all forms of grains over three years ago and got heavy into coconut oil usage I accidently went keto not even knowing what the term meant.

In just 30 days it was managing my long term pain and resolving my eating disorder that I did not even know that I had. Perhaps it was changes in hormones made me become aware when to stop eating when I was full that resolved my eating disorder.

The how and why cutting out using sugar and or any form of any grain resolved my eating disorder of 40 years is not of a real concern to me. Improving health and health markers, eating until I am stuffed several times daily with no hungry, counting or measuring is of concern and I just am thankful keto works in my case. I as all others would not have been able to say if keto worked or did not work on a personal level had I not tried keto.

@GaleHawkins

What exactly was your eating disorder?
    Binge eating? Because I can tell you right now.. From a mental perspective that if you had an actual psychological disorder that *should be diagnosed by a psychiatrist* even a change in diet removing all possible trigger foods if you had a specific list would not fix your eating disorder within 30 days. An eating disorder is a life long struggle. Simply removing triggers does not fix the problem.

You don't mention being professionally diagnosed. So I am to assume you self diagnosed yourself basing it on an over consumption of carbs? If thats the case i dont think thats fair of you. We all have struggles.. You are allowed to have yours. But don't call it an eating disorder. It is quite insensitive.

I would call a 40 year eating disorder a life-long struggle personally based on my own experience now that it is currently resolved.

The subject of this tread is "Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories" and while I have personally experienced this to be medical factual perhaps others have not. I have not read one post in this thread where others disagreed with Dr. Jason Fung and posted their terminal degrees and their work on the subject or the work of other peers of Dr. Fung to support that Dr. Jason is medically incorrect when it comes to weight loss.

In my case after cutting out sugar and all forms of all grains it became medically clear it was not just total calories but also the source of my calories that determined where my chances of longevity decreased or increased and the direction of my health markers.

Dr. Davis in his new book, Undoctored: Why Health Care Has Failed You and How You Can Become Smarter ... he wrote in the intro:

"I propose that people can manage their own health safely and responsibly and attain results superior to those achieved through conventional health care - not less than, not on par with, but superior."

While I do not give others medical advice I do share my personal experiences and results for the few that are interested that may have had a life of yo-yoing weight and failing health to deal with for many years.

We live in a day per current MD's where patients can gain and act so simple Ways Of Eating that may be game changers for them and their families.

to the bolded: that's not only misguided, but *kitten* dangerous. relying on 'diet' to cure serious medical conditions has caused many many deaths. several posters have previously recounted horrible anecdotes about friends and family who were killed by this kind of misinformation. and could have been saved by conventional health care. it's horrible.

just this week, in fact, this story popped on my news feed. http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2017/11/17/tamara-lovett-calgary-mom-guilty-in-sons-strep-infection-death-gets-prison-time_a_23281094/

That's sad.. I can't understand why people's common sense goes right out the window on things like this... someone's sick.. so tea and oil?? Seriously??
This discussion has been closed.