Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @JoLightensUp I'm in S.A, the forgotten state :lol:

Ha ha I'm from Sydney but now live in Victoria - four seasons in one day. :p Yiros seems like the Greek version of doner kebab.

You answered my question before seeing my reply! Yiros/gyros are Greek, kebabs Turkish. I'd call the foods close cousins.

Now I know the difference between kebabs and yiros. Got no idea about these strange American foods though.

Psst. I'm another South Aussie. Wishing it wasn't raining so I can go walking. Between the heat and rain it ain't been good exercise weather this week.
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,354 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Either way, Fung is a nephrologist who has woven just enough actual science into all his pseudo/junk science to almost sound convincing, but he's been torn apart by plenty of experts with actual knowledge about physiology and nutrition. He's another Dr. Oz - a physician who's sold his soul to the almighty dollar, peddling snake oil and shoveling in money by the bucketloads from gullible, desperate people.

It's rather telling that when you Google his name, some of the first links to his "work" are to dietdoctor.com, Jimmy Moore's keto site and Mercola's site. You can almost fill up your woo bingo card from that first page of search results.

Ohhh! Woo bingo! That sounds fun! Can we play?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Hey @Christine_72 I think we've come up with ideas for new car number plate slogans for our states! SA - The Forgotten State, and Vic - The Overcast State. Too negative, maybe? :p I think Tassie might fight you for the forgotten state title too lol.

You guys should really just give Tasmania to NZ. We'd appreciate it much more :)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

The name "poutine" puts me off, it doesn't sound appetising at all lol

As for these kebabs you all are talking about, I think we here in Aus call them a yiros:

95kwkojfjroq.jpg

This is what I know as a kebab:

3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg

Interesting. Maybe it's one of those things that depends where you live in Aus, Christine. I've grown up knowing them both as kebabs, although if I'm distinguishing between the two I'll say "doner kebab" or "shish kebab". Years ago, there was some big fuss about food poisoning risks with doner kebabs, and the association has unfortunately stuck in my mind. They're very popular though.

Yup, they're a yiros in SA, a kebab anywhere else. I'm originally from SA and grew up with yiros, but have had to learn to call them kebabs since moving to Melbourne. A shishkebab is on a skewer.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Hey @Christine_72 I think we've come up with ideas for new car number plate slogans for our states! SA - The Forgotten State, and Vic - The Overcast State. Too negative, maybe? :p I think Tassie might fight you for the forgotten state title too lol.

Bahaha too true.

Admittedly i always forget about Tasmania :open_mouth: They're one small step behind us, at least we get Halo Top ice cream here, Tassie is still waiting.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

Bahaha too true.

Admittedly i always forget about Tasmania :open_mouth: They're one small step behind us, at least we get Halo Top ice cream here, Tassie is still waiting.

See? Totally part of NZ.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

Bahaha too true.

See? Totally part of NZ.

:laugh:

I think your weather is similar, their winters look bloody cold! :confounded:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Can I return to the subject of donair and say that, in my opinion, the Halifax donair is criminally underrated as an iconic Canadian food item? Like, yeah yeah poutine maple syrup ketchup chips blah blah blah, Halifax donair is the most superior Canadian junk food item period.

They are not the same at all as any authentic Turkish, Middle Eastern, or even German version that I've ever heard of, but I think that's why they deserve recognition, since they are clearly a Canadian invention in their Halifax incarnation.

I haven't tried them, but I agree with the argument, that that makes them a local speciality. (And I am actually now more interested in trying them than poutine!)

As for these kebabs you all are talking about, I think we here in Aus call them a yiros:

95kwkojfjroq.jpg

3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg

That's a kebab in the US too, and I mentioned above the doner kebab looked like what I'd call a gyro, but apparently this is a Turkish dish that is different from the Greek dish.

Which kind of reminds me of when a friend and I were in our 20s and took the overnight train from Istanbul to Ankara and this guy in the dining car (which was lovely, the whole train was) decided to befriend us and order us raki (Turkish national drink, with aniseed) and beyaz peynir (Turkish cheese), which he proclaimed were completely unlike ouzo and feta. Completely would definitely be too strong, at least to my palate at the time, but it was a fun evening. ;-)

Anyway, I'm definitely checking out the options locally, now I know they exist.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    In my case as most others if there were hormonal changes by doing keto we have no way to know what they were or why they changed in a medical sense.

When on a hunch I cut out sugar and all forms of grains over three years ago and got heavy into coconut oil usage I accidently went keto not even knowing what the term meant.

In just 30 days it was managing my long term pain and resolving my eating disorder that I did not even know that I had. Perhaps it was changes in hormones made me become aware when to stop eating when I was full that resolved my eating disorder.

The how and why cutting out using sugar and or any form of any grain resolved my eating disorder of 40 years is not of a real concern to me. Improving health and health markers, eating until I am stuffed several times daily with no hungry, counting or measuring is of concern and I just am thankful keto works in my case. I as all others would not have been able to say if keto worked or did not work on a personal level had I not tried keto.

@GaleHawkins

What exactly was your eating disorder?
    Binge eating? Because I can tell you right now.. From a mental perspective that if you had an actual psychological disorder that *should be diagnosed by a psychiatrist* even a change in diet removing all possible trigger foods if you had a specific list would not fix your eating disorder within 30 days. An eating disorder is a life long struggle. Simply removing triggers does not fix the problem.

You don't mention being professionally diagnosed. So I am to assume you self diagnosed yourself basing it on an over consumption of carbs? If thats the case i dont think thats fair of you. We all have struggles.. You are allowed to have yours. But don't call it an eating disorder. It is quite insensitive.

I would call a 40 year eating disorder a life-long struggle personally based on my own experience now that it is currently resolved.

The subject of this tread is "Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories" and while I have personally experienced this to be medical factual perhaps others have not. I have not read one post in this thread where others disagreed with Dr. Jason Fung and posted their terminal degrees and their work on the subject or the work of other peers of Dr. Fung to support that Dr. Jason is medically incorrect when it comes to weight loss.

In my case after cutting out sugar and all forms of all grains it became medically clear it was not just total calories but also the source of my calories that determined where my chances of longevity decreased or increased and the direction of my health markers.

Dr. Davis in his new book, Undoctored: Why Health Care Has Failed You and How You Can Become Smarter ... he wrote in the intro:

"I propose that people can manage their own health safely and responsibly and attain results superior to those achieved through conventional health care - not less than, not on par with, but superior."

While I do not give others medical advice I do share my personal experiences and results for the few that are interested that may have had a life of yo-yoing weight and failing health to deal with for many years.

We live in a day per current MD's where patients can gain and act so simple Ways Of Eating that may be game changers for them and their families.

I keep reading your post to see if they make sense and for the life of me, I can't glean much from them. Maybe I need to take a 1/4 mile walk to the mailbox to clear my head. If I go any further I'm sure I'll have issues.

yeah they don't make sense, cause they don't make sense.

I find that peoples perceptions of things can be way way off..

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,924 Member
    Options
    95kwkojfjroq.jpg
    3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg
    I would co-sign that the first one would be a "donair"; "yiros"; "gyro"; or "shawarma" and the second would be a "souvlaki", or "kebab"
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm another who would overeat significantly at times, but never binged, and certainly did not have BED, which is a specific condition.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    95kwkojfjroq.jpg
    3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg
    I would co-sign that the first one would be a "donair"; "yiros"; "gyro"; or "shawarma" and the second would be a "souvlaki", or "kebab"

Unless you're Iranian or Russian, in which case it's "shashlik".
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    95kwkojfjroq.jpg
    3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg

Shawarma is shaved meat like the top one but here it's more layered meat shaved from the rotisserie whereas the above would be a dense mince/ground meat and always lamb. Shawarma can be chicken or lamb. All delicious which is really all that matters.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    peleroja wrote: »
    Can I return to the subject of donair and say that, in my opinion, the Halifax donair is criminally underrated as an iconic Canadian food item? Like, yeah yeah poutine maple syrup ketchup chips blah blah blah, Halifax donair is the most superior Canadian junk food item period.

They are not the same at all as any authentic Turkish, Middle Eastern, or even German version that I've ever heard of, but I think that's why they deserve recognition, since they are clearly a Canadian invention in their Halifax incarnation.

I haven't tried them, but I agree with the argument, that that makes them a local speciality. (And I am actually now more interested in trying them than poutine!)

95kwkojfjroq.jpg

3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg

@Christine_72, poutine is delicious... Definitely something to try if you can get it made with cheese curds (not the grated cheese version some people try to pass off as poutine)

And I call the wrap thing a kebab, and the stick thing is a kebab too.
This discussion has been closed.