Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    hw6shl88nz7f.jpg

@blambo61

The above image is a page from a log book given to me by my psychiatrist from the eating disorder clinic where i was diagnosed. I want you to see the chaos on those pages. Where i pleaded with myself to just stop.
    Where i would plan to not eat then fail and end up eating anyway.
    Where i would plan to try and offset the eating with cardio and also fail doing that too.
    The words i write in sad desperation, of just being tired of going through this every single day..

I want you to scroll back through Gale's posts and find the same level of detail about his eating disorder.
    I want you to tell me all the things he tried and failed at. I want you to tell me all the massive amounts of food he was consuming besides a banana split at dairy queen. I want you to tell me who specifically confirmed he has an eating disorder in order for him to say he had one but didn't know it until he went keto and found resolve. I want you to tell me all about his eating disorder that he hasn't just read what i've written and said "that reminds me of what i did with no other information attached. He was asked to share details of his eating disorder. If he had a privacy concern, he would of said that he did not feel comfortable, however he didn't, he did write something but it did not describe an eating disorder in the least. Since you really are convinced Gale is correct in his claims, by his posts, i want you to point out the same level of details i have given about my own eating disorder.

I've never said I agree that Gale cured BED with a LC diet. I've said that he helped whatever condition he had. I have said that LC and IF may help BED people. I know of at least one BED clinically diagnosed person who has been helped greatly by IF.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    God, you just don't get it.

And saying you, as someone who doesn't have an eating disorder, don't find it offensive is like a straight person saying they don't get what the big deal is when people find the use of the word gay, when used to mean 'lame' or similar (as in 'that's so gay'), offensive. It is offensive (both are), whether you find it so or not.

I understand how it is offensive. I never said it wasn't offensive to those with BED. I said IF and LC may help BED people. Do you not think it is worth a try? If not, why not!

It's not just offensive to those with BED or another eating disorder, it should be offensive to anyone with common decency. That's my point. Those of us with EDs aren't being delicate snowflakes here, a hell of a lot of others who don't have an ED have also stated it's offensive. It's also *kitten* dismissive.

BED is not my disorder, so I will leave it to those who have experience with that to answer.

For restrictive disorders? Hell *kitten* no. You're just exchanging one form of restriction for another, and putting a 'legitimate way of eating' label on it to justify it (it's well known that people with EDs that involve restriction do this to use as an excuse for not eating certain things). For me personally, I don't think either of those things would have worked.

But, for the billionth time, eating disorders aren't about food. So no, I don't think that keto or IF would help the vast majority of people suffering with EDs, at least not long term, in the sense of no relapses.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    blambo61 wrote: »
    God, you just don't get it.

And saying you, as someone who doesn't have an eating disorder, don't find it offensive is like a straight person saying they don't get what the big deal is when people find the use of the word gay, when used to mean 'lame' or similar (as in 'that's so gay'), offensive. It is offensive (both are), whether you find it so or not.

I understand how it is offensive. I never said it wasn't offensive to those with BED. I said IF and LC may help BED people. Do you not think it is worth a try? If not, why not!

It's not just offensive to those with BED or another eating disorder, it should be offensive to anyone with common decency. That's my point. Those of us with EDs aren't being delicate snowflakes here, a hell of a lot of others who don't have an ED have also stated it's offensive. It's also *kitten* dismissive.

BED is not my disorder, so I will leave it to those who have experience with that to answer.

For restrictive disorders? Hell *kitten* no. You're just exchanging one form of restriction for another, and putting a 'legitimate way of eating' label on it to justify it (it's well known that people with EDs that involve restriction do this to use as an excuse for not eating certain things). For me personally, I don't think either of those things would have worked.

But, for the billionth time, eating disorders aren't about food. So no, I don't think that keto or IF would help the vast majority of people suffering with EDs, at least not long term, in the sense of no relapses.

But meds do help? Who said anything about no relapses. I said those WOEs might help, not cure.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

Okay.. lets recap the conversation, okay?

We we are all in here talking about donairs and kebabs and stuff.

Can we go back to that?
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options

Okay.. lets recap the conversation, okay?

We we are all in here talking about donairs and kebabs and stuff.

Can we go back to that?

doner-kebab.jpg

:wink:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Kriss I just have to say that I admire your honesty in the hopes of educating others about BED. It takes a strong person to reveal so much about themselves. Sadly it has fallen on ears of people unwilling to learn.

Some, clearly.

But I feel compelled to say that I've learned a lot here from @HellYeahItsKriss's brave and persistent honesty, and I'll bet others reading have, too. (In that sense, it's too bad the thread has been deprecated down-list.)

Thank you, Kriss.

Cosigned! I certainly have and appreciate her ability to be open and transparent.
This discussion has been closed.