Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    Can I return to the subject of donair and say that, in my opinion, the Halifax donair is criminally underrated as an iconic Canadian food item? Like, yeah yeah poutine maple syrup ketchup chips blah blah blah, Halifax donair is the most superior Canadian junk food item period.

They are not the same at all as any authentic Turkish, Middle Eastern, or even German version that I've ever heard of, but I think that's why they deserve recognition, since they are clearly a Canadian invention in their Halifax incarnation.

It is true. There is absolutely nothing like a Halifax Donair. lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Can I return to the subject of donair and say that, in my opinion, the Halifax donair is criminally underrated as an iconic Canadian food item? Like, yeah yeah poutine maple syrup ketchup chips blah blah blah, Halifax donair is the most superior Canadian junk food item period.

They are not the same at all as any authentic Turkish, Middle Eastern, or even German version that I've ever heard of, but I think that's why they deserve recognition, since they are clearly a Canadian invention in their Halifax incarnation.

I haven't tried them, but I agree with the argument, that that makes them a local speciality. (And I am actually now more interested in trying them than poutine!)
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    They open up a K.O.D express sometimes in alberta? I think. The line was massive..

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2016/03/04/halifax-famous-king-of-donair-makes-debut-in-calgary.html

i guess its not permanent yet.. but so far you can only get donairs in the maritimes. The rest of canada has to come here too lol
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    They open up a K.O.D express sometimes in alberta? I think. The line was massive..

http://www.metronews.ca/news/calgary/2016/03/04/halifax-famous-king-of-donair-makes-debut-in-calgary.html

i guess its not permanent yet.. but so far you can only get donairs in the maritimes. The rest of canada has to come here too lol

There are a lot of places in the West that do Halifax-style, but I think a lot of Easterners would argue that those aren't quite the same.

My husband loves a local greasy chain here in Alberta that has the sweet condensed milk sauce etc., and I can't really tell the difference between them and what I've had in the Maritimes, but (maybe contrary to what my earlier post would have you believe) I don't actually eat a lot of fast food so maybe I'm just not discerning enough, haha. I still think they're great and very particular to Canada.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I haven't tried them, but I agree with the argument, that that makes them a local speciality. (And I am actually now more interested in trying them than poutine!)

The name "poutine" puts me off, it doesn't sound appetising at all lol

As for these kebabs you all are talking about, I think we here in Aus call them a yiros:

95kwkojfjroq.jpg

This is what I know as a kebab:

3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg

• GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Regarding Canadian delights, since I am a vegetarian, I am team poutine all the way, provided I could get some with gluten free gravy. Assuming the gravy could be made vegetarian.

Also? Fries are one of my favorite foods and I rarely get to eat them. Here one of the great diner foods is fries with brown gravy and they used to be a late night after drinking staple of my youth.
  • JoLightensUp
    JoLightensUp Posts: 140 Member
    Options

As for these kebabs you all are talking about, I think we here in Aus call them a yiros:

95kwkojfjroq.jpg

3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg

Interesting. Maybe it's one of those things that depends where you live in Aus, Christine. I've grown up knowing them both as kebabs, although if I'm distinguishing between the two I'll say "doner kebab" or "shish kebab". Years ago, there was some big fuss about food poisoning risks with doner kebabs, and the association has unfortunately stuck in my mind. They're very popular though.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @JoLightensUp I'm in S.A, the forgotten state :lol:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Regarding Canadian delights, since I am a vegetarian, I am team poutine all the way, provided I could get some with gluten free gravy. Assuming the gravy could be made vegetarian.

Also? Fries are one of my favorite foods and I rarely get to eat them. Here one of the great diner foods is fries with brown gravy and they used to be a late night after drinking staple of my youth.

Chips and gravy is a thing here too, also drunk food. And chips and curry sauce.

95kwkojfjroq.jpg

3d5rav6z9x0f.jpg

Interesting. Maybe it's one of those things that depends where you live in Aus, Christine. I've grown up knowing them both as kebabs, although if I'm distinguishing between the two I'll say "doner kebab" or "shish kebab". Years ago, there was some big fuss about food poisoning risks with doner kebabs, and the association has unfortunately stuck in my mind. They're very popular though.

This applies for me too. Although maybe you're in the UK and that's why (I don't remember if you've mentioned where you are and I haven't profile stalked).
  • JoLightensUp
    Options

Ha ha I'm from Sydney but now live in Victoria - four seasons in one day. :p Yiros seems like the Greek version of doner kebab.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

Ha ha I'm from Sydney but now live in Victoria - four seasons in one day. :p Yiros seems like the Greek version of doner kebab.

You answered my question before seeing my reply! Yiros/gyros are Greek, kebabs Turkish. I'd call the foods close cousins.
  • JoLightensUp
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Hey @Christine_72 I think we've come up with ideas for new car number plate slogans for our states! SA - The Forgotten State, and Vic - The Overcast State. Too negative, maybe? :p I think Tassie might fight you for the forgotten state title too lol.
This discussion has been closed.