Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Dr Jason Fung - The Useless Concept of Calories

Options

Replies

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I am intrigued by the concept of this druidwurst, even though I doubt I could eat it with my stupid food sensitivities. That's awesome of that food truck to provide for a niche customer base like that, though.

I'll report back (I suspect it does have gluten).

Most vegan meat subs are either gluten or soy based. I can't have either. Cue sad trombone music.

There's a very limited range of meat sub products that I can eat and I really only use one of them. It's made with pea protein.

It's a shame, because I really do love tofu. I was looking at that picture Kimny posted and thinking how tasty that pineapple kebab skewer would be with marinated tofu. Sadly, no can do.

There's an increasing number of pea-based, gluten-free meat substitutes coming on the market in NZ. Unfortunately they have apparently nailed the taste and texture, which means a no for me (cos ick, yuck, gross, can't even handle quorn b/c of the texture). Though there is word of a bacon one in the pipelines, and I will be all over that if it's GF.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I am intrigued by the concept of this druidwurst, even though I doubt I could eat it with my stupid food sensitivities. That's awesome of that food truck to provide for a niche customer base like that, though.

Most vegan meat subs are either gluten or soy based. I can't have either. Cue sad trombone music.

There's a very limited range of meat sub products that I can eat and I really only use one of them. It's made with pea protein.

It's a shame, because I really do love tofu. I was looking at that picture Kimny posted and thinking how tasty that pineapple kebab skewer would be with marinated tofu. Sadly, no can do.

There's an increasing number of pea-based, gluten-free meat substitutes coming on the market in NZ. Unfortunately they have apparently nailed the taste and texture, which means a no for me (cos ick, yuck, gross, can't even handle quorn b/c of the texture). Though there is word of a bacon one in the pipelines, and I will be all over that if it's GF.

There is no pea protein bacon sub here in the States. They all have soy or gluten. This makes me very sad.

The one pea protein sub I eat regularly doesn't have too similar a texture. They do have a burger variant available that's delicious, but that texture is a bit too close for me.

I tried Quorn variant I could eat and didn't care for it. The texture was a bit icky but okay masked in a salad, but the biggest sin it committed was not being filling.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Oh, that looks delightful. When I want a bacon flavor, I use a bacon seasoning that's vegetarian and gluten free. It's tasty sprinkled on salads or cottage cheese. Or popcorn.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

There is no pea protein bacon sub here in the States. They all have soy or gluten. This makes me very sad.

The one pea protein sub I eat regularly doesn't have too similar a texture. They do have a burger variant available that's delicious, but that texture is a bit too close for me.

I tried Quorn variant I could eat and didn't care for it. The texture was a bit icky but okay masked in a salad, but the biggest sin it committed was not being filling.

Yeah, all the bacon subs here have soy or gluten. I'm fine with soy (I think, haven't have much lately), so could be okay with the tempeh one, but really, I can just make that myself. Was so disappointed on finally tracking down a newish non-meat 'salami' that it had gluten.

Speaking of making one's own Facon, have I given you my recipe? Buckwheat and adzuki based, it's pretty good! Does have soy sauce though, not sure if you can sub something else for that.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    bdddbfb68byq.jpg

Had a case of this delivered a few weeks ago. It's what I use for bacon flavoring.

Nice choice. Any cheese curds from Osceola Cheese to accompany Burgers Bacon?
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

Yeah, all the bacon subs here have soy or gluten. I'm fine with soy (I think, haven't have much lately), so could be okay with the tempeh one, but really, I can just make that myself. Was so disappointed on finally tracking down a newish non-meat 'salami' that it had gluten.

Speaking of making one's own Facon, have I given you my recipe? Buckwheat and adzuki based, it's pretty good! Does have soy sauce though, not sure if you can sub something else for that.

Coconut aminos are a close approximation for soy sauce. I'd love the recipe!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    bdddbfb68byq.jpg

Had a case of this delivered a few weeks ago. It's what I use for bacon flavoring.

Nice choice. Any cheese curds from Osceola Cheese to accompany Burgers Bacon?

No, but I spent the first 18 years of my life less than 30 miles from there.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Options

In your inbox, lady :)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    Options

In your inbox, lady :)

Thank you kindly! My local grocery recently did a remodel and has a new expanded gluten free section that includes a full range of this brand called Bob's Red Mill. One of the things they carry every variety of are beans. It's nice knowing I can get some adzuki beans when I pop in to pick up some milk (yet again, the need never ends with a growing teenager guzzling it down).
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    blambo61 wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Kriss I just have to say that I admire your honesty in the hopes of educating others about BED. It takes a strong person to reveal so much about themselves. Sadly it has fallen on ears of people unwilling to learn.

Some, clearly.

But I feel compelled to say that I've learned a lot here from @HellYeahItsKriss's brave and persistent honesty, and I'll bet others reading have, too. (In that sense, it's too bad the thread has been deprecated down-list.)

Thank you, Kriss.

Thanks guys. I want people who experience what I wrote and shared to contact me too if they want. Please don't go the route of keto and IF and prolong the problems longer then they need to. If a professional BED therapist reviews with you that you don't have a disorder then yes. Try other eating avenues AFTER.

I don't see why someone would not want to do a 30-day trial to see if IF works for them (something like a 20:4 routine, not a 5:2 routine). If it works, great, you have saved a lot of money and are on your way! If not, did that really set them back that much when they have probably had the problem for some time?

You have got to be (insert every swear word imaginable) kidding.

This is reckless, dangerous, callous, and completely insensitive.

People should not "try" IF if they think they have an eating disorder. They need to get help from a trained clinical professional. Period. Please, for the love of God, stop trying to promote this. Go in threads about weight loss and cheer for keto and IF all you want, but you need to stop suggesting it as a potential solution for eating disorders.

Seconded.
This discussion has been closed.