December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Kinvaras have been my go to shoes since spring 2014. Kinvara 4s, I'd get about 300 miles. Kinvara 5s, 400 to 500 miles. Kinvara 6s, pretty consistently 500 miles. Kinvara 7s, still in the boxes waiting for the 6s to be end of life.

HOWEVER . . . somewhere in there, my podiatrist had me start using Superfeet Blue inserts. The increased lifespan of the Kinvaras roughly coincides with when I started using the Superfeet and discarding the inserts that come with the shoe.

OTHER RANDOM FACTOID: I have a running buddy who always wears Kinvaras and gets 600 to 800 miles out of them. He may have tougher feet and legs than I do.

So . . . I'd say it's inconclusive. For sure, the Kinvaras don't last as long as the Saucony Peregrines (trail shoes); I retired my first pair of Peregrines at 500 miles out of concern for the tread, and how they've held up with lawn mowing and snow shoveling indicates I might have retired them early.

But yeah, I suspect on the average Kinvaras last toward to low end of a typical running shoe's life span. I can live with that, because they're very common and I can always buy an old version cheaper than list of the current version.
    @MobyCarp It's true, getting the Kinvaras for a good price is easy :)

Judging by price/km alone, I could retire them now:

tns5zhkobok7.jpg

At least it's possible that (since I don't use special inserts) it's not only my imagination, they might actually really start wearing out as I'm getting close to 300mi.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    @ereck44 there are many many headlamps available - but if it's just for fading light then I wouldn't go all out on the newest shiniest, most powerful....

People have different likes about them - some want a focussing beam, but on trail for example you also want a wide beam so you can see those pesky tree roots and branches. Petzl are probably the go-to for many people, but I know a lot of people here who do very well with Alpkit headtorches, which tend to be very reasonably priced.

I have a couple - one has batteries in the torch bit, and one has them in a battery pack connected by wires and fixed on the waist. I know some of the Petzl torches have the battery pack at the back of the head strap. It's all about weight distribution and getting used to how something feels on your head, and not being bothered by some bounce. I know @MNLittleFinn has a chest or waist mounted one he likes. You could even use a handheld.

Something I'd also recommend, certainly if you are running on the street (aside from high-vis) is a rear red light - some torches have this, but I have a little clip-on light that does the same thing.

Ultraspire lumen 600. Love it
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @ereck44 there are many many headlamps available - but if it's just for fading light then I wouldn't go all out on the newest shiniest, most powerful....

People have different likes about them - some want a focussing beam, but on trail for example you also want a wide beam so you can see those pesky tree roots and branches. Petzl are probably the go-to for many people, but I know a lot of people here who do very well with Alpkit headtorches, which tend to be very reasonably priced.

I have a couple - one has batteries in the torch bit, and one has them in a battery pack connected by wires and fixed on the waist. I know some of the Petzl torches have the battery pack at the back of the head strap. It's all about weight distribution and getting used to how something feels on your head, and not being bothered by some bounce. I know @MNLittleFinn has a chest or waist mounted one he likes. You could even use a handheld.

Something I'd also recommend, certainly if you are running on the street (aside from high-vis) is a rear red light - some torches have this, but I have a little clip-on light that does the same thing.

$180 though?!? Ug.
    http://ultraspire.com/product/lumen6002-0/

This makes me wonder though if I will need a light for the 50k.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    It is crazy how my priorities have shifted with this running/yoga thing. I used to be so fixated on fad diets and suffering for my body image. Now it is all about physically feeling awesome and accomplishing personal goals.

I can totally relate to this! I hardly ever exercised in the past. Now I'm so addicted, it's crazy! And you are right, the tapering is difficult but it will be worth it!

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day10
    12/3 - 40 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day11
    12/4 - 3.1 miles + Strength Training Glutes W3-A - #RWRunStreak Day12
    12/5 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 13 + strength training W3B
    12/6 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 14

Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png

• MNLittleFinn
    edited December 2017
    Options

$180 though?!? Ug.

Must be the 2.0. I paid like 100 for mine when the 2.0 came out. It's worth every penny... and...Light for a 50k? Really???? Unless it starts in the dark or is a really late start, you should have light the whole time
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

exercise.png
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    rain so 6 miles on elliptical

exercise.png
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    December goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8
    12/5- REST
    12/6- 6.5

Total: 37.2

Today's notes: I ran on the ROAD. Training schedule said "easy pace road run" I was slightly shocked and scandalized. any way, I got up got on my gear for the 6F (-14C) temp and 16mph winds. Got in 6.5 miles in my hour, for an average pace of 9:12 and HR of 153. A little high on the HR, but still in z2 for average.... Felt good.

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • PastorVincent
    Options

$180 though?!? Ug.

Must be the 2.0. I paid like 100 for mine when the 2.0 came out. It's worth every penny... and...Light for a 50k? Really???? Unless it starts in the dark or is a really late start, you should have light the whole time

Heh, guess I am thinking too much about my training runs this time of year. Often start in bright daylight and finish in darkness... at distances much less than 50k. But that is cause I have been running after work. The race probably starts in the morning sometime. Plus it will be May.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options
    Heh, guess I am thinking too much about my training runs this time of year. Often start in bright daylight and finish in darkness... at distances much less than 50k. But that is cause I have been running after work. The race probably starts in the morning sometime. Plus it will be May.

You won't need light in may for a 50k. You'll have PLENTY of light. it's really only when you get into the LONG races and early/late starts that it becomes an issue of lighting.
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

You won't need light in may for a 50k. You'll have PLENTY of light. it's really only when you get into the LONG races and early/late starts that it becomes an issue of lighting.
    You do realise that most people would consider a 50k a "LONG" race, right? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

oh... yeah
  • PastorVincent
    Options

You do realise that most people would consider a 50k a "LONG" race, right? :mrgreen::mrgreen:

oh... yeah

:lol::lol:
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

oh... yeah

:lol::lol:
    I just realized I'm not normal..... even for this group.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 0
    12/2 – 5 miles
    12/3 – 0
    12/4 – 7 miles
    12/5 – 5 miles
    12/6 - 0 miles

17 of 100 miles

It's Wednesday so it must be rest day :neutral:
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options

My 2 cents worth: For road running, any old headlamp that lets me see a bit and helps the traffic see me is good enough. For trail running, I want a strong headlamp that helps me see. The one I use most claims to be 120 lumens, but I think it's 75 on the setting I use the most. That's easily enough for roads, and a good start for trails. It lights up where my head is pointing, and I don't have to think about it.

For trails, I also like carrying a handheld. I use the Nathan Zephyr 100, because it worked well when I carried a demo on a run. The headlamp points where my head is pointed, and I can move the handheld around to see other areas of the trail surface. Works really well, even though my initial motivation for carrying two lamps was the run where my battery died and the people I was following decided to run faster than I wanted to where I didn't know my way back.

I think I paid about $60 the first time; then the bracket holding the strap to the back of the light broke. In warm weather, I can just stretch the strap over the body of the light; but I thought about bulky gloves and bought a new one from Amazon. On October 14, I got a price of $21.93; I see it costs more now. When I bought, the yellow trim was the cheap price; I see the pink trim is a bit cheaper than yellow today. I don't care what color the body of the handheld is, I care how well the light works.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

Eh, you fit in fine. You maybe at the top end of distance, but you are not alone up there. :) Look at the Strava page. :) Chris is killing the elevation!
  • MNLittleFinn
    Options

Eh, you fit in fine. You maybe at the top end of distance, but you are not alone up there. :) Look at the Strava page. :) Chris is killing the elevation!

Mountains.... I'm totally jealous