December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    oh Bah! Did not even think of that. Does the one you mentioned allow you to go direct to red on/off?

It does. you can switch it from white mode to red mode and once in red mode, it will stay in red mode through on/off cycles until you switch to white mode.

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    12/1: 4
    12/2: 3.1
    12/6: 4.9 miles. Winter, here I come!!!

Total: 12 miles

exercise.png
  • weat0043
    weat0043 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Nov. 6 - 4.5km
    MTD - 16.5km/60km
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    oh Bah! Did not even think of that. Does the one you mentioned allow you to go direct to red on/off?

It does. you can switch it from white mode to red mode and once in red mode, it will stay in red mode through on/off cycles until you switch to white mode.

Heh. I've had a headlight with a red light I never use, and now I know what it's for! I learn some of the most important stuff by just hanging out and hearing the answers to questions I didn't know to ask.
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    December goal: 95.71 miles

12/1 3.51
    12/2 5.00
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4.25
    12/5 5.87
    12/6 4.30

Total 22.93

Ticker is my goal for 2017 and progress to date:

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Phoenix Women's 10k 1/28/18
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    And that's the story of how I ran for an hour straight for the first time ever in my life.

W00T!!! Well done!!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    December goal: 75 miles

12/3: 9.1 miles
    12/5: 3.1 miles (intervals)
    12/6: 4.2 miles

16.4/75

It was another chilly run this afternoon. It was a little warmer than yesterday, but still cold for this Texas girl. I got 4.2 miles in. Getting out the door really was the hardest part. Once I got going I really enjoyed it. Tomorrow's run will be my coldest run so far. It is supposed to be 40°F at lunch. It might be a little warmer after work but I have an appointment to donate at the blood drive then so if I am going to run I will have to be at lunch. It's funny, I am dreading it and looking forward to it at the same time.

@eponine1984 That's an awesome story!
    Happy Anniversary!

exercise.png

• LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I ran yesterday. It was my wedding anniversary, so I got the baby down for a nap and headed out to burn off some calories in anticipation of a big indulgent dinner.

Started mapmyrun. Started c210k (week 11, day 2 - warm up, run 17 minutes, walk 1 three times, then cool down). Started my podcast. I was all bundled up because it was a cool drizzling 50 degrees. I almost immediately started sweating profusely so I removed as much as I could.

I skipped the big hill in the neighbor because I wanted to see how my speed was compared to where I was previously. After my first mile, I was feeling pretty good, hitting my stride, and figured I'd be taking a walk break in about five minutes. So I turned a corner and then another, one more corner and a teensy hill, yet another corner before I checked my phone to see what going on.

I had the wrong workout up on c210k! It was week 14 - run 60 minutes straight! I was too far into to stop and start over. And given that my 5k time is 47:25 - why not just add on another 13 minutes.

And that's the story of how I ran for an hour straight for the first time ever in my life.

CONGRATS! That's amazing! Keep it up!!
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options
    I just realized I'm not normal..... even for this group.
    Are any of us truly normal ? ? ? and yes I consider a 50K to be a long race/run. For some it's just another day
    @JessicaMcB The win on a new coach 200 miles/week - that's more than I put on my vehicle

HeadLamps. I actually have 3 different types:

A Petzl Tikka - A nice feature it has is that as your batteries start to drop out it will actually change to a lower output ( flashs a few times and then reduces Lumens ) to extend battery life. 3 or 4 levels, Red Leds and a Flash Mode. The higher end models of this come with a wired secondary battery holder/USB charger port that you can leave in an inside pocket, hydration bag, backpack etc. to extend life. The " Reactive Model " has technology where if you are looking at an object really close it will automatically change the beam pattern to save battery life. Has never left me stranded in the dark and batteries are easy to change.

A Black Diamond, can't find a model number, Batteries are hard to change and it has a weird power up. Double Press and hold on the 2nd press. Good to prevent accidental activation's when traveling, but for me I always pull batteries before they go into a travel bag so not really an issue. 3 levels and Red Led's - Not my Go To light as I just don't trust it as twice it has left me in the dark on a trail with no warning Went from light to dark in one step.

Energizer 200 ~225 lumen from Canadian Tire. 3 intensity level plus Red Led's. I had initially bought them as cheapies for Backpacking, Camping, working on vehicles/electrical/carpentry etc.
    Multiple ( 3 per package ~$40.00 cdn ). Ironically it is my go to light for local night runs around town. Reliable.

All use 3 AAA batteries.
    I find that I tend to place headlamps higher on my forehead than most people to make sure none of the light from the beam gets into my peripheral vision - I find it destroys my depth perception. Like looking into a set of high beams from an approaching vehicle. Anyone shopping for headlamps I recommend you try them on in a darken room so you can get a feel for them. I had a few that spilled out to much light down across my face and not enough out in front. Beam too wide.
    Terrain also makes a big difference in light choice, Flat Town trails or Challenging Bush bashing have very different minimum requirements. Maybe the waist lights I tried had too narrow of a beam, I didn't like them. Between body movement and beam pattern it seem I was not getting the illumination I expected/require.

I have a Red Led Flasher designed for bicycles that I clip on the back of the headlamp band so anyone approaching from the rear can see me.

@RespectTheKitty Glad to see that you have been able to get back out and run.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @eponine1984 That is SO awesome! Bravo.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    Kinvaras have been my go to shoes since spring 2014. Kinvara 4s, I'd get about 300 miles. Kinvara 5s, 400 to 500 miles. Kinvara 6s, pretty consistently 500 miles. Kinvara 7s, still in the boxes waiting for the 6s to be end of life.

HOWEVER . . . somewhere in there, my podiatrist had me start using Superfeet Blue inserts. The increased lifespan of the Kinvaras roughly coincides with when I started using the Superfeet and discarding the inserts that come with the shoe.

OTHER RANDOM FACTOID: I have a running buddy who always wears Kinvaras and gets 600 to 800 miles out of them. He may have tougher feet and legs than I do.

So . . . I'd say it's inconclusive. For sure, the Kinvaras don't last as long as the Saucony Peregrines (trail shoes); I retired my first pair of Peregrines at 500 miles out of concern for the tread, and how they've held up with lawn mowing and snow shoveling indicates I might have retired them early.

But yeah, I suspect on the average Kinvaras last toward to low end of a typical running shoe's life span. I can live with that, because they're very common and I can always buy an old version cheaper than list of the current version.
    @MobyCarp It's true, getting the Kinvaras for a good price is easy :)

Judging by price/km alone, I could retire them now:

tns5zhkobok7.jpg

At least it's possible that (since I don't use special inserts) it's not only my imagination, they might actually really start wearing out as I'm getting close to 300mi.

@_nikkiwolf_ I'm impressed that you have this kind of data. What app/program did you use?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Oh also I am in for 100 this month - don't think I actually said that anywhere!

And I bought my first pair of Kinvara's a few weeks ago - 8's I think or whatever the newest model is. I think there were a number of reviews that commented poorly on the 7 but felt the issues were mostly corrected in the 8's. So far I like them. They are VERY different from my 0-drop Altra One 2's or the Skoras. I like them, they are comfortable and the cushioning feels great, if a bit strange.

On that note, I have a pair of women's sz 7.5 Topo Fly-Lyte 2's that I cannot wear. They have about 25 miles on them. If anyone is interested PM me. I paid $100 (plus tax and shipping) but am thinking $50 plus shipping.
    7ijfd5ngy992.jpg