December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    @fitoverfortymom Congrats on an awesome HM PR!!!

So, to all you ultra runners out there...hydration packs.

I love distance running, and my lofty goal for 2018 is to work my way up to running through the night (Friday night through Saturday morning), which means potentially looking at long runs ultimately in the 50-mile region or so (hey, lofty goal for me, @JessicaMcB :smile:).

That means I'm going to need a decent hydration pack. For my training through this past Texas summer, I didn't carry any water, and would instead rely on water fountains and a gel every 5-8 miles or so. However, longer distance will mean a hydration pack and something along the lines of Tailwind will be in order.

So initial research has led me to this Salomon vest. My planned routes will still take me by water fountains so that I can refill; they'll just be fewer and far between. Also, this will still be street running and not trails, (if that would matter any). Thoughts? Chaffing issues? Issues I haven't even thought about yet? Better options?

The Salomon skins are awesome. I haven't used one, but know several ultra runners who swear by them.
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

I love distance running, and my lofty goal for 2018 is to work my way up to running through the night (Friday night through Saturday morning), which means potentially looking at long runs ultimately in the 50-mile region or so (hey, lofty goal for me, @JessicaMcB :smile:).

That means I'm going to need a decent hydration pack. For my training through this past Texas summer, I didn't carry any water, and would instead rely on water fountains and a gel every 5-8 miles or so. However, longer distance will mean a hydration pack and something along the lines of Tailwind will be in order.

So initial research has led me to this Salomon vest. My planned routes will still take me by water fountains so that I can refill; they'll just be fewer and far between. Also, this will still be street running and not trails, (if that would matter any). Thoughts? Chaffing issues? Issues I haven't even thought about yet? Better options?

That looks like a sweet vest! I currently have two Nathan hydration packs. The newer, smaller one is the Fireball Race Vest . One thing that I like about it is that I can carry two full sized water bottles (it also holds a 1.5 L bladder which I haven't used) which is helpful (for me anyway!) in the winter because the hoses for the bladders always seemed to freeze on me. Not so much an issue for you in Texas :smile:. My other one is white (bad idea for a running vest!) holds a 2L bladder and has a bungee cord on the outside, so it is good for longer runs, hiking, and shedding layers etc. Haven't had much chance to use the newer one in minimal clothing weather so I am not sure about chafing.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @hjeppley Thank you for your feedback...didn't want to order something and then later find out that there are much better options out there. Guess it's going on the Christmas list; thanks again. :)
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @MNLittleFinn @hjeppley Thank you for your feedback...didn't want to order something and then later find out that there are much better options out there. Guess it's going on the Christmas list; thanks again. :)

No problem. When it comes to vests, it's so subjective that it's hard to find a "best" one. That said, Salomon makes amazing gear and I think you'll be happy with it
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    hjeppley wrote: »

That looks like a sweet vest! I currently have two Nathan hydration packs. The newer, smaller one is the Fireball Race Vest . One thing that I like about it is that I can carry two full sized water bottles (it also holds a 1.5 L bladder which I haven't used) which is helpful (for me anyway!) in the winter because the hoses for the bladders always seemed to freeze on me. Not so much an issue for you in Texas :smile:. My other one is white (bad idea for a running vest!) holds a 2L bladder and has a bungee cord on the outside, so it is good for longer runs, hiking, and shedding layers etc. Haven't had much chance to use the newer one in minimal clothing weather so I am not sure about chafing.
    @garygse Not an ultra runner, but I have the Nathan Race Vest too, as well as a "standard" hydration backpack from Salomon ("Agile 7"). I am really happy with both of them. Although since I bought the Nathan Vest, I'm mostly using that, since I love the pockets in front (one for a small bottle of honey/gel, one for my phone), and now the Salomon is relegated to carrying clothes or groceries on the occasions that I decide to run to work or to the supermarket, but before that it also served me well in training for as well as during my first marathon. It's just that I like the vest a tiny bit more :wink:
    In the end, you'll have to try for yourself. At first I bought a Camelbak and was lucky enough that I could still return it after a first run with it, because it chafed horribly on the sides of my neck. I had the same issue with a inov-8 hydration pack (which unfortunately I couldn't return, so it's still here collecting dust). Dosn't matter if 9 out of 10 reviews write it's the most awesome running pack they ever wore, if it doesn't fit you right...

@fitoverfortymom Congratulations on finishing your half marathon, great time!!

@abutcher2122 Great run :smile:

@Elise4270 Awesome that your hip was fine the entire run! I hope the foot will be okay next time too.

@katharmonic I hope Stella recovers quickly! Sorry that your run today sucked. I had the same "why the hell am I doing this" thoughts for my entire run today, too, so I can totally relate. Our next runs will be better!
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 0
    12/2 – 5 miles
    12/3 – 0
    12/4 – 7 miles
    12/5 – 5 miles
    12/6 - 0 miles
    12/7 – 6 miles
    12/8 - 0 miles
    12/9 - 3 miles
    12/10 - 7 miles

33 of 100 miles

exercise.png

34F (1C) When I started. I decided to drive over to where I work, I figured I'd pack up my office after my run. Ran through Bridge Street then around Research Park. Beautiful day. Got back to my office and duh forgot my office keys at home. I never bring my purse when I go to run so they were in there.

Skip talked to her friend yesterday from XC the kid has never run more than 6 miles at one time and run the Rocket City Marathon yesterday in 5:14 she hasn't talked to him today but she's sure he's in a running coma at home today.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @garygse I have the Orange Mud hydration pack. The furthest I've run with it is 6-7 miles. I have no problem with chaffing or rubbing. It also, like others has storage for clothes and goodies.

@_nikkiwolf_ Love the new shoes! And the quote. Sounds like you conquered those conditions!

What model are those shoes? ETA. Think I found them. Roclite 290. :wink: drop is a 4. I may grab the other roclite with the 8 drop
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless woohoo!! Great job!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Wow! @amymoreorless ! Congratulations! You'll have to share a recap when you have the time!
  • Elise4270
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    How do you all get motivation to stretch, do yoga, foam roll on non-running days or at night? I am supposed to be doing these things 2-3 times per day... I have no problem getting it in 1st thing in the morning, before a run and sometimes after but I often even put that off and later in the evening it is the last thing on my mind. Logically I know it is hurting me in the long run with the healing process for my hip and hamstring but I just can't seem to make it a priority.

I lay on the couch and use the massage stick. :tongue:
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    12/10 26.65 miles
    Waited for the temp to come up, just above 32*F to 42*F. It was sunny and breezy and I just kept going.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,982 Member
    Options
    December goal: 75 miles

12/3: 9.1 miles
    12/5: 3.1 miles (intervals)
    12/6: 4.2 miles
    12/8: 4.1 miles
    12/10: 8.1 miles

28.6/75

@katharmonic Your meme sums up my run today perfectly. I wasn't able to get out until after noon today and even though it wasn't hot, it was warm and I just felt slow and sluggish the whole time. It was really a pretty day for it, it should have been a great run. I guess some runs are just better than others.

@fitoverfortymom Congrats on your HM PR!

@amymoreorless Way to complete your marathon and not die! Can't wait to hear the report!

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless yay! Well done!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    2/01 - Intentional rest day
    12/02 - Run Santa Run 5k - 22:11 PR!
    12/03 - 13.5 miles @ 9:24
    12/04 - unplanned rest day
    12/05 - 10.1 miles @ 9:21
    12/06 - 10 miles @ 9:24
    12/07 - Strength + 7 miles @ 9:14
    12/08 - Nada
    12/09 - Nada
    12/10 - Nada

Big Hairy Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)

Grumble Grumble Gumble
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[\img]
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless your the best. Congratulations!!!!
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I said it. And I'm not going to lie, I've quit a few times after 15 minutes. For me its more of a get myself out of lazy mode, just go for 15 minutes then you can quit if you feel like it. Usually, once I'm out I hit my training goal but it doesn't mean I'm happy the entire time LOL

12/2 3.50
    12/6 2.50
    12/9 2.05
    12/10 4.00

Total 12.05/40

First mile was meh (but better than yesterday) and started to fall into a good rhythm and pace at mile 3. Deceptively warm but sun was hiding behind clouds so it could have been worse.