December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Azercord
    Azercord Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent I use the one80 light and it does really well. Lots of general lighting and 360 lumens isn't too bad. Plus they are pretty cheap which is always nice.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 5 miles. Still loving the warmer than average weather!
    12/2 - 5 miles.
    12/3 - Busy / rest day.
    12/4 - 5.15 miles. This weather is nuts! It was 63° at 4:45 a.m.
    12/5 - 4.75 miles. 35° temperature drop in 24 hours...Brrr!
    12/6 - 3.5 'mill miles, then upper body weights / abs.

exercise.png
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    12/6 10.01 miles
    52.47 miles so far, temperatures continuing to drop.
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent and @MNLittleFinn
    Eh, you fit in fine. You maybe at the top end of distance, but you are not alone up there. Look at the Strava page. Chris is killing the elevation!
    That's all road running. I'm having a great start to December. Going back to 4 runs and 2 cross training(elliptical) a week. I don't live in as hilly a location as Pastor but there isn't many flat runs I can do either.
    I finally given in to a before and after strech of my calves. I can feel the muscle by the end of the day but I think it's good discomfort and not pain telling me to stop. (Of course we all think we can run through it. Until we are in so much pain that we completely shut down.)
  • jacqueline0821
    jacqueline0821 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Goal: 30 miles
    12/5 - 1 mile
    12/6 - 1 mile

2/30
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    cburke8909 wrote: »
    I can feel the muscle by the end of the day but I think it's good discomfort and not pain telling me to stop. (Of course we all think we can run through it. Until we are in so much pain that we completely shut down.)

Yep...been there. My "hip soreness" morphs into injury now and then.
  • CiaraRebello
    CiaraRebello Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Dec 3: 3 miles
    Dec 6: 1.5 miles

Total Goal: 25 miles
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    I've bumped up to 3.25 miles as of yesterday. My trainer wants me to work toward 4. Some part of me wants to tell her she's crazy. I'm already running more than I'd ever imagined I could (i.e., at all). But she believes in me, and so far I've been able to do everything she's asked me to. I don't feel wrecked after I run, but it's a struggle to keep my pace steady, and along the way I wonder how I'm going to continue. But then I do.

Does anybody else here struggle with their self-confidence?

Every single time I run, I reach a point about two thirds of the way through my first mile, where I think, "Well, this is it, this is going to be the time that I call it and don't finish this run." But then I finish the run. You will too!
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    12/1 9.75mi
    12/2 4mi
    12/3 rest
    12/4 4mi
    12/5 6mi
    12/6 5.64mi

4 mile run plus strides. It was warm and raining this morning when I dropped off the kids at school. By the time I got back to the house and cleaned up a bit the temp was steadily dropping. So it was a chilly run but good!
  • LaDispute57
    LaDispute57 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    DATE...............MILES................TOTAL
    12/1..................4.00......................4.00/80
    12/6..................3.25......................7.25/80

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    SusanDSME wrote: »
    I've bumped up to 3.25 miles as of yesterday. My trainer wants me to work toward 4. Some part of me wants to tell her she's crazy. I'm already running more than I'd ever imagined I could (i.e., at all). But she believes in me, and so far I've been able to do everything she's asked me to. I don't feel wrecked after I run, but it's a struggle to keep my pace steady, and along the way I wonder how I'm going to continue. But then I do.

Does anybody else here struggle with their self-confidence?

Running has a very large mental toughness part to it. I promise you can run farther and faster than you think you can right now. You just need to overcome your own mind and do it. Humans were built to run, we rule the animal kingdom in distance running (with like 3 or 4 exceptions, non match us). You can do this. :)
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Met with a client this morning. I am doing his divorce. Nevertheless, his wife just bailed him out of jail. He looked rough. Last night his girlfriend came at him with a knife. He stopped her with a pellet gun. Now I am also doing his criminal case. Love is a beautiful thing.

Imma divorce you, but first can you bail me out of jail? :p
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    So I still need to tackle the marathon. I was thinking about the Rock n Roll in Vegas (2018) BUT that's usually in November, which means I'd be doing my training through the summer (my summer = hell but I can run through it). Or try for the 3rd time at the Phoenix Rock n Roll marathon in January (2019). Either way, I plan to do the half in Vegas but do I just go for the full?

The first year I tried for a marathon I struggled through training and dropped to the half since I didn't get any long runs over 10. This past year I got sick after Christmas and missed the last two weeks of training and couldn't even run 2 miles the week before so I didn't run any race.

Also planning to sign up for the quarter marathon on this race because I need that medal and shirt. LOL https://131events.com/winter-trail-frosty/

I didn't go back through and read all that I missed but skimmed the last few pages. I am going to go look at all the light recommendations. I have one armband light but I'd like something to help illuminate the sidewalks and trails since it's dark by the time I run after work.

And... I think I win at least elevation! I gain 16 feet on my normal route. I am hoping to get more trails in once I get my park pass again. That should give me some better elevation.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    So guess who found a trainer that runs 200 miles a week y'all <3
    Sounds about right
    #lifegoals
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    So guess who found a trainer that runs 200 miles a week y'all <3
    Sounds about right
    #lifegoals

Haha yes! And despite running since age 11 she has never experienced a running injury even while running that volume (though she apparently hurt herself rather badly doing yoga :D ). She is all the goals!