December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @SusanDSME like @PastorVincent said running is all about mental fortitude. The words we choose to use when we think on things are important as well. Instead of thinking "Oh my God its FOUR MILES!" Take the power away from the distance, there is not a unit of measure in existence today that can defeat you in and of itself. It really is only 4 miles/ 50k/ 100 miles because in the wake of your limitless potential distance is a small thing- it may not be immediately possible but none of it is beyond you unless you decide it is. You can do it <3

So guess who found a trainer that runs 200 miles a week y'all <3

SEE! You can tell I am correct because @JessicaMcB agrees! :D
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 miles; Total in Dec: 26 miles with 74 miles to go.
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    @SusanDSME like @PastorVincent said running is all about mental fortitude. The words we choose to use when we think on things are important as well. Instead of thinking "Oh my God its FOUR MILES!" Take the power away from the distance, there is not a unit of measure in existence today that can defeat you in and of itself. It really is only 4 miles/ 50k/ 100 miles because in the wake of your limitless potential distance is a small thing- it may not be immediately possible but none of it is beyond you unless you decide it is. You can do it <3

So guess who found a trainer that runs 200 miles a week y'all <3

This, this and all of this. At this time in 2015, I was NOT a runner by any stretch, I had just started doing some cardio so I could be in shape for my 1 year old. I NEVER thought I could run a 5k much less anything farther, without walking intervals. It's all about seeing the potential in yourself and knowing that you don't know what your limit is until you push for it. @SusanDSME you are at the beginning of a journey to experiencing your full, untapped potential, just hang and enjoy the ride!
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 had a great rundown on lighting. One thing I'll note in my specific waist lamp is that it's not so much a beam as an orb of light, this greatly reduces the issue that bouncing causes because any bounce is at the edge of a pretty large area of light.

I too will run in near dark as long as possible, but for me, when it comes time to turn on my lamp, I need as much power as possible because I can see pretty well in near dark, but in total dark, I need a *kitten* ton of light..... trying out different lamps to see what you like is a fun part of the process, at least it was for me.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Excellent point by @MNLittleFinn about his waist lamp. A flood lamp or "orb" will work much better as a waist lamp than a spot light as he notes.

If you can, see if you can borrow other runners lights to try out before you buy. Like so much in running, it really comes down to personal preference.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    01/12 4.13 miles
    05/12 4.14 miles - really enjoyed this run, felt I was able to push a little harder.
    06/12 3.53 miles - windy, wet, dark, sluggish - everything yesterday wasn't

exercise.png

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    12/2 3.5
    12/6 2.5

Total 6/40

Ugh, those were a tough 2.5 miles. I had to push through. I was super tight. Note to self... more yoga!
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    12/2 3.5
    12/6 2.5

Total 6/40

Ugh, those were a tough 2.5 miles. I had to push through. I was super tight. Note to self... more yoga!

Get a foam roller so you can spot-treat the tight spots (IT band, etc.). It helps.

I find it helpful to mentally check out during the run. I try not to think about actually running when I'm running. I kinda sort out my stuff while I run. After a while, you don't notice the hard of the running and you're getting your head straight.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Excellent point by @MNLittleFinn about his waist lamp. A flood lamp or "orb" will work much better as a waist lamp than a spot light as he notes.

If you can, see if you can borrow other runners lights to try out before you buy. Like so much in running, it really comes down to personal preference.

I really like the red option on the one you mention. I do Astronomy as another hobby in the dark, and red lights are critical there. I might just grab it sight unseen some day. Not right now though, gotta get through gift buying season first. :)

Any other good ones I should check out that have a RED option?
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I really like the red option on the one you mention. I do Astronomy as another hobby in the dark, and red lights are critical there. I might just grab it sight unseen some day. Not right now though, gotta get through gift buying season first. :)

@pastorvincent I don't have additional models to recommend, but for what you're doing, make sure you can turn the red on and off, and cycle through any different modes or levels, without turning on the white LED or you'll defeat the purpose.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    12/2 3.5
    12/6 2.5

Total 6/40

Get a foam roller so you can spot-treat the tight spots (IT band, etc.). It helps.

I find it helpful to mentally check out during the run. I try not to think about actually running when I'm running. I kinda sort out my stuff while I run. After a while, you don't notice the hard of the running and you're getting your head straight.

I have two foam rollers. It's just been a while since I've been acquainted with them. :D I need to get back into the swing of stretching/rolling consistently. I just told myself to relax and get to the next corner/street light etc and then of course once I got there said ok you can get to the next one. The legs just weren't cooperating today.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    Date Miles today - Miles for December

12/1 5 miles - 5
    12/2 14.5 miles - 19.5
    12/3 REST DAY
    12/4 8 miles - 27.5
    12/5 9.5 miles - 37
    12/6 4.25 miles - 41.25

exercise.png

Elkmont Hound Dog Half (unofficial) - 1/21 << 1:46:48 2 OA
    Elkmont Hound Dog Half (rescheduled) - 2/18 << 1:41:04 1 in AG & 24 OA
    Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/29 << 4:09:59

Upcoming races:
    Oak Barrel Half Marathon - 4/7/18

• power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    December 1 - 10 km
    December 2 - 16 km
    December 3 - 5km club run / strength training
    December 4 - 12 km treadmill
    December 5 - 12 km treadmill
    December 6 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 7 - 16 km run

87 km - goal 350 km
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 great info on the lights. I actually just brought Skip and her teammate knuckle lights this morning, I figured it was an easy to carry quick fix to their running in the dark at practice. She actually fell on an uneven sidewalk yesterday, of course my first reaction was "you didn't put a hole in those brand new Nike tights did you?" "no Mom but I'm all cut up" "okay good" ha ha I also brought them some LEDs small lights like I use to clip to their clothes so they don't get run over.
  • seanevan10
    seanevan10 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    12/2 3.5
    12/6 2.5

Total 6/40

I have two foam rollers. It's just been a while since I've been acquainted with them. :D I need to get back into the swing of stretching/rolling consistently. I just told myself to relax and get to the next corner/street light etc and then of course once I got there said ok you can get to the next one. The legs just weren't cooperating today.

I've been there. Actually a bunch lately. And yes, I have definitely also felt the need to get acquainted with yoga again.
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    12/5 - crosstraining day
    12/6 - 5.25 miles

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    Options

@pastorvincent I don't have additional models to recommend, but for what you're doing, make sure you can turn the red on and off, and cycle through any different modes or levels, without turning on the white LED or you'll defeat the purpose.

oh Bah! Did not even think of that. Does the one you mentioned allow you to go direct to red on/off?
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    12/01 - Intentional rest day
    12/02 - Run Santa Run 5k - 22:11 PR!
    12/03 - 13.5 miles @ 9:24
    12/04 - unplanned rest day
    12/05 - 10.1 miles @ 9:21
    12/06 - 10 miles @ 9:24

Big Hary Audacious Goal: Sub 4 hours in Pittsburgh 2018!

Official Marathon PR: 4:11:28

Next Races (more as I find them):

02/10/18 - Valentine's Day 15k
    03/17/18 - Shamrock Shuffle Half Marathon
    05/06/18 - Pittsburgh Marathon - aiming for sub four hours.
    05/12/18 - Glacier Ridge 50k Trail Ultra (I must hate myself)

2020 - Disney World Dopey! (if can raise funds)