December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    How do you all get motivation to stretch, do yoga, foam roll on non-running days or at night? I am supposed to be doing these things 2-3 times per day... I have no problem getting it in 1st thing in the morning, before a run and sometimes after but I often even put that off and later in the evening it is the last thing on my mind. Logically I know it is hurting me in the long run with the healing process for my hip and hamstring but I just can't seem to make it a priority.

I try to do the Runner's World video after my runs (it's like 20 minutes long). Otherwise, I just do a sequence of stretches and/or foam rolling for like 15 minutes while watching TV in the evening. At least I try to. I've been awful lately.

The video I do is: https://www.runnersworld.com/runners-world-yoga-center/class-4-recovery-yoga

@_nikkiwolf_ HAH That about nails Zombies Run I think I did it for like a month then gave up on it.

I need to get off my butt and do my run today. I'd say I was being lazy but I've been trying to get ahead on business blogs and "podcasts". Maybe I need the run break. LOL
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @cburke8909 Don't forget that the 235 has Garmin's most highly rated feature, the Race Predictor, which as everyone here will testify, is about as useful as a one-legged man in an asskicking contest.
  • SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @ddmom0811 I like your rest area idea! Wish I'd thought of that while driving from Maine to Ohio last month.
    @NikolaosKey I'm sorry about your injury. I overdid it, too, and also hurt my hip. I realize my goal is puny compared to yours, but I'm thinking it's unlikely that I will make mine, either.

That said, at least I got to run today. My trainer wanted me to sprint. I somehow messed up my gps so I'm unsure of my speed, but I think I averaged 10:33. That may not sound great, but I've been averaging 13:30 or so on my longer runs.

Tomorrow she wants me to hike. I get to run again Monday if my hip doesn't hurt.

12/1 - 3.1
    12/2 - rest day
    12/3 - 3.1
    12/4 - 3.1
    12/5 - 3.25
    12/6 - 3.25
    12/7 - 2
    12/8 Unwanted rest day!
    12/9 - .78 (sprints)

exercise.png

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @girlinahat I'm not quite sure I understand what went wrong - the upload was interrupted during syncing? Maybe the TomTom will still sync the run after the next activity? Something like that happened to me once.

I think what happens is the information starts getting sent out over the ether, and then if it gets interrupted it’s still out there and no longer on the watch, but also it hasn’t yet got to the device. So if I try and redo the upload it’s too late, because the information has left the watch.

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    12/2 3.50
    12/6 2.50
    12/9 2.05

Total 8.05/40
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Orphia wrote: »
    Distance runners, if I'm planning to do my first 50 km run on April 15, and my longest run is my first marathon (on August 27), how far do you think my longest run should be in training?

Bear in mind it took 3 months to recover from the marathon and get back up to 30 km so far.

So I am in the minority but I believe in training to 100% of distance before I race. Do you feel like it was the intensity you raced with that knocked you back post marathon? Or was it actually the distance? I think for a lot of people, myself included, it's the former but we associate it with the latter.

I'm not in the same league as @JessicaMcB but I'd say it isn't necessary to train to full distance for ultra length races. For my 100k, my longest training run was 24 miles. For me it's a time thing, if I could train out to 100k or more in my training I would, but I tend to run crazy.

My coach has told me I'll probably max out around 5 hours for training runs for my 100 mile. Thing is you do t have to do it all at once.

Back to back long runs are a staple for ultra training, like, say a 35k one day and then another 25k thr next day. That's how my training looks to be going, so it's another option for feeling the strain without going full distance at one shot.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Kaitlyn is amazing!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Distance runners, if I'm planning to do my first 50 km run on April 15, and my longest run is my first marathon (on August 27), how far do you think my longest run should be in training?

Bear in mind it took 3 months to recover from the marathon and get back up to 30 km so far.

I have seen lots of debate on this, but 60-80% of the race distance is where most people seem to fall. For example, Hal Higdon's plans for Marathon have the longest run at 20m. I do not know the logic/etc behind that other than they are trying to avoid overtraining and injury.

So applying that logic, I would GUESS 35km for the 50km.

Really the big thing is to blow past the 2 hour mark where just about everyone is out of glycogen and learning how to manage that consistently on run for an extended period.

Thanks, @PastorVincent

I'm happy with my results from using the Strava Premium McMillan training plans, then tweaking them as per @Stoshew71's blog recommendations.

I've got a training plan spreadsheet on the go for this.

JessicaMcB wrote: »
    So I am in the minority but I believe in training to 100% of distance before I race. Do you feel like it was the intensity you raced with that knocked you back post marathon? Or was it actually the distance? I think for a lot of people, myself included, it's the former but we associate it with the latter.

@JessicaMcB It was the distance. This will be similar, as it will the first time again at that particular distance.

Unless I can't save up enough money to do the event, but I'm still planning on training for it, so I'll do it anyway event or not, and run the distance eventually "in training". :smile:

@Orphia So marathon distance isn't enough anymore? :grin: I've used Hal Higdon's plans for both my marathons, I saw that he also has a 50k training plan on his website. The longest runs with a given distance are 3x 20mi and then a marathon, in the weeks after that there are just times perscribed for the long runs, up to 5 hours.

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks for the link! Hmm, it looks like it's a bit more advanced than where I'm at, and aimed at very experienced marathoners. But definitely useful to refer to.

I'm not in the same league as @JessicaMcB but I'd say it isn't necessary to train to full distance for ultra length races. For my 100k, my longest training run was 24 miles. For me it's a time thing, if I could train out to 100k or more in my training I would, but I tend to run crazy.

My coach has told me I'll probably max out around 5 hours for training runs for my 100 mile. Thing is you do t have to do it all at once.

Back to back long runs are a staple for ultra training, like, say a 35k one day and then another 25k thr next day. That's how my training looks to be going, so it's another option for feeling the strain without going full distance at one shot.

@MNLittleFinn Insightful! Thank you. Another ultra-runner friend recommended back-to-back long runs.

I'm thinking of doing at least one 35 km, then three weeks before the event, two HMs a day apart.

I think. Body notwithstanding. :smiley:
  • hjeppley
    hjeppley Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Haven't reported in a few days, but got a good (cold) 5.5 mi run into today with the 9 year old. I'm thinking he is going to be ready for 10K's soon! Going to attempt to add a 5th day of running next week. We'll see if my foot can take it.

Got to try out my sweet new Smartwool PhD running tights and a new Arc'teryx fleece zip up layer on my run. I was comfy and warm--probably too warm on top!

Also did my first yoga class in a while and as usual said to myself "I need to do this more regularly".

Goals this month: 90 miles, maintain weight, PT and yoga, add one day of weights per week, register for spring marathon or ultra

Day/Distance/Comments

Dec 1 Walk outside for about 30 min (rest before race)
    Dec 2 Jackson 50/50 10 mile “Fun Run” 4th female finisher in this crazy steep trail race (10.2 mi total)
    Dec 3 3.4 mi slow recovery run, PT
    Dec 4 Water walking + PT
    Dec 5 3.3 mi
    Dec 6 Rest day (unintentional)
    Dec 7 3.1 mi + PT
    Dec 8 Water walking
    Dec 9 5.5 mi + yoga + some PT

Goal: 90 mi
    Done: 25.5 mi
    To go: 64.5 mi
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @Orphia that sounds like a good plan. Remember, with an ultra, unless you're a speed demon, walk/hike the hills.

One saying I heard is that if you're in shape for a marathon, you can do an ultra. I believe that, as my 100k training wasn't much more mileage than my marathon training. I actually found that i recovered from my first ultra at a faster rate than my first marathon. The hiking and eating a lot during the ultra really helped
  • hjeppley
    Options

I ran my first (and only) 50K with multiple weeks with my long run >30K and about a 39 K longest run plus I did the back to back runs (I think I did about 8 miles though on the other weekend day) that have been suggested by @MNLittleFinn. One thing I did was to run my Sat run in the late afternoon and the Sunday run in the early morning to try to better simulate the race situation. I agree though about not having to do much more than marathon training for a 50K!

Like @MNLittleFinn I loved the food and it helped my recovery. The last trail marathon I did was like that as well (Backside Trail Marathon in Louisville, KY). Lots of snacks kept me motoring along.

I am hoping to do a spring 50K, so I am starting back to backs but my mileage isn't getting up there yet. I'll start ramping more after my night trail half marathon in Jan.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @hjeppley I always say that about doing yoga more regularly too. I always feel so much better when I do it. Maybe when my schedule eases up at the semester break I can start going regularly.

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    11/01/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    11/02/17 :::: 9.1 :::: 12.1
    11/03/17 :::: 4.3 :::: 16.3
    11/04/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 19.4
    11/05/17 :::: 4.0 :::: 23.4
    11/06/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 23.4
    11/07/17 :::: 4.5 :::: 27.9
    11/08/17 :::: 0.0 :::: 27.9
    11/09/17 :::: 3.0 :::: 30.9

gjg3oco9afij.png
    Kind of sums up the last couple of days. Didn't get a run in on Friday at all. Everything took longer than expected all day long. Today my planned long run with the group didn't happen because I had to take the dog to the vet. Poor Stella has kennel cough. As always these things come to a head on the weekend, right before I'm supposed to leave town on Monday. She is terrified of the vet so it's no easy feat to have her examined either.

Anyway, we made it, she got some antibiotics and some controlled substance to help with the cough, which the pharmacy seemed to scrutinize. We took a nap after all that, and then eventually I did get a few errands done and a run on the treadmill at the Y. Hopefully long run tomorrow.

So, I'm going to DC for a couple of days on Monday. I should have time for a run or two. I'm staying in Georgetown, not too far from the National Mall so that's probably my main goal, but if anyone has any suggestions let me know. I've never actually done anything in DC before - I've only been in and out to meetings and hotels and the drive to and from the airport, so I'm excited to see a little.

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    @shanaber I have had to find a specific routine that I am to do every night before bed. It's a combo of rolling the ouchie parts and some core work and hip strength moves from a few sources. Some are from a runners world "never get hurt" article, some are from PT exercises I did a few years ago, and some are from a Les Mills class I take. I usually end up doing it 5x a week, but aim for every day. It really helps!
  • cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    @Garyse lol you also get the privilege of paying for that unwanted feature.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    So awesome, @fitoverfortymom! You killed it! Great job.
  • hjeppley
    edited December 2017
    Options
    @hjeppley I always say that about doing yoga more regularly too. I always feel so much better when I do it. Maybe when my schedule eases up at the semester break I can start going regularly.

So, I'm going to DC for a couple of days on Monday. I should have time for a run or two. I'm staying in Georgetown, not too far from the National Mall so that's probably my main goal, but if anyone has any suggestions let me know. I've never actually done anything in DC before - I've only been in and out to meetings and hotels and the drive to and from the airport, so I'm excited to see a little.

@katharmonic I am with you on the semester break strategy. I always seem to do well then and then things (usually yoga) falls apart once things get busy again.

I had a really good run in DC a number of years ago when I stayed in Arlington for a grant panel. I met some random military guy when I was out running (probably not my best idea in hindsight) who showed me the trails on Theodore Roosevelt Island. Another year I walked my luggage from Dupont Circle all the way down to the airport past the Jefferson Memorial. That was a pretty cool route as well. I have this weird penchant for walking to and from airports--did it in San Francisco once too...

@fitoverfortymom Congrats on a well-run race! It is always good when the nutrition piece comes together nicely. I was pleased with how I managed in my 10 miler last weekend--I had been running all of my training runs with only water, so I wasn't sure how the race-provided Gatorade was going to fare, but it was OK. Starting with tomorrow's 12 mile training run I am going to start carrying my race pack and Tailwind again. Need to get back in the habit of carrying my own stuff.
  • WandaVaughn
    WandaVaughn Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    @fitoverfortymom. So so proud of you! Great race!