December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    rolaasad wrote: »
    So many days without any more runs. I'm not feeling motivated, or I am, but not enough. I'm scared of not being able to achieve my goal for this month and more scared of the actual work. I'm a very new runner and sometimes it gets overwhelming... it's twisted and doesn't make any sense.

Still, I'm planning to go for a run tomorrow morning. I hope I can do it...

Half the time, I don't meet my monthly goals, but usually I get close. And if I don't make them, there is next month.

I agree with mixing running and walking and not starting out too fast. Also running is the only "me" time that most of us get. For me, it is a way to unwind, listen to music, commune with nature, clear my head, etc.

And the first mile is the toughest....after you break a sweat it gets easier. I don't know why that works. Still trying to figure it out.

I hope you run tomorrow. Keep us posted.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    3.65 miles on the "dreadmill" last night. I didn't have music..so I watched part of the Thursday night football game.
    12:14 pace.

I think that my tally for the month is 8.65 miles.

My nurse friend was vindicated yesterday. I didn't get all of the details due to being at the gym.

Thanks to all who posted suggestions for night vision aids while running. I will relook at the posts. I don't plan to use it on trails....that's too scary for me.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @Azercord So sorry about your stress fracture man. Heal up soon!
    @shanaber and @LaDispute57 Happy Birthday!!! Mine is a week from today.

Cuz I spel reel gud!

No red line in my spell checking tools... and I copy/paste it for each update. So the typo stays forever! :D

For the longest time, I called this thread the *Insert month here* Running Challenge

@skippygirlsmom I love the video. I reposted it. lol
  • hist_doc
    hist_doc Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    @ereck44, have you tried the zombies run! app? I find it's so much more fun to run on the treadmill with it.

5 slow miles today with the jogging stroller

exercise.png

• SusanDSME
    SusanDSME Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile I just got a super deal on le bent 'le definitive' ultra light wool and bamboo socks. They're kneehigh and warm without being thick. I love them!

So hoping I can get back to running tomorrow, even if it's sprints, which I don't particularly like.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 and @ddmom0811 The hummingbird reminded me of this commercial. I love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woy1-SUok8Y

Cute!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    December goal: 75 miles

12/3: 9.1 miles
    12/5: 3.1 miles (intervals)
    12/6: 4.2 miles
    12/8: 4.1 miles

20.5/75

4.1 chilly miles for me today. It was pretty nice. I'm really glad I moved my run from yesterday to today. 54F feels like 51F is a lot more agreeable for me than 35F feels like 27F. I'm not used to real cold weather and I don't really have the proper gear for it. We didn't get snow yesterday. It was all south of where I am. But it was still really cold.

@seanevan10 Thanks for the advice on the garmin. I might check out the vivofit, but the only things I do besides running is yoga so it does look like the FR35 might be a good start for me.

exercise.png

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I took Wednesday as my normal rest day and then it was too windy and smokey to run on Thursday. Fortunately the smokey winds have finally died down a bit but it was really hot and dry out for my run today (80F when I got home and only 7% humidity). Tomorrow the winds are supposed to return so I am holding off my long run until Sunday when it should also be a bit cooler.

Date........Miles.......Total
    12/01......5.24........5.24 - Sleeping, running and wine tasting!
    12/02......2.60........7.84 - Dog park
    12/03......6.00......13.84 - more sleeping, running and wine tasting!
    12/04......0.00......13.84 - Driving :( + Agility
    12/05......4.37......18.21 - Birthday Intervals + Strength Training
    12/06......0.00......18.21
    12/06......0.00......18.21 - +Strength Training
    12/07......0.00......18.21
    12/08......5.41......23.62

exercise.png

My completed and upcoming races. Let me know if you will be running them too.
    02/05/17 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/23/17 - San Francisco 1st Half Marathon
    10/14/17 - AIM for the Cure Melanoma 5K Walk/Run
    12/16/17 - San Diego Holiday Half Marathon
    02/04/18 - Surf City Half Marathon
    07/22/18 - San Francisco 2nd Half Marathon
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @seanevan10 Thanks for the advice on the garmin. I might check out the vivofit, but the only things I do besides running is yoga so it does look like the FR35 might be a good start for me.

Also, watch the Amazon Refurbished store:

http://amzn.to/2BP5KE1

There are many Garmins in it, and you might find a good deal
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - I love that commercial! I have seen it a time or two on TV and it always makes me smile and think I should do that for my DH :) I also saw this the other day and thought it was really awesome https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/life/2017/10/11/iowa-dad-honors-kids-cancer-spelling-out-their-names-ons-morning-runs-spell-out-names-children-cance/753547001/
    @ereck44 - let us know what happened with your nurse friend! I am glad she took action and was vindicated!
    Thanks @Stoshew71! Happy Birthday to you too in advance!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    @_nikkiwolf_ I signed up. :smiley: Have linked it to Garmin Connect so far. Will try and get some past runs imported today or tomorrow.
    Okay, now I am freaking out about my marathon on Sunday. It is currently SNOWING. Seriously guys. Frozen *kitten* is falling from the sky and covering my car. Enough that I could write the word “snow”, in snow, on the freakin hood. All the local school districts are delaying tomorrow. People are freaking out.

Hell (AKA Central Texas) has officially frozen over. I almost died of hypothermia walking from work to my car. How am I supposed to run in this? I can totally solder through 100 degrees F.... but frozen fluffy stuff? Ewwwwww

@amymoreorless Eek, you made me look up the Sunday forecast... phew, 39-68F (4-20C)!

@kgirlhart If I hadn't had help buying my Garmin Fenix 5, I would have got the Forerunner 35. Very nice bit of kit.

A tech-savvy friend in the UK just got one, so it got his seal of approval too.
  • power0304
    power0304 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    December 1 - 10 km
    December 2 - 16 km
    December 3 - 5km club run / strength training
    December 4 - 12 km treadmill
    December 5 - 12 km treadmill
    December 6 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 7 - 16 km run
    December 8 - 16 km run / strength training
    December 9 - 16 km run / 11 km run

130 km - goal 350 km
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    When y'all talk about the Run with Zombie app, I always picture you doing this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dfZ9BXaNyE

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    Thanks @orphia. I'm glad to know your friend likes it.
  • Luxyp
    Luxyp Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Ran 5 miles
    Miles run to date in Dec: 31miles
    Target: 100 miles
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    @juliet3455 I'm not actually near the 'real' Candy Cane Lane. South Edmonton has a hidden gem of a street about 1km long and it's about 85-95% lit up, and is the next street south of me. I'm actually far enough south that I run south past the oil derrick park sometimes (only do that route in daylight).

12/1 - 5.2km
    12/2 - rest
    12/3 - 11.5km
    12/4 - rest
    12/5 - cookies!
    12/6 - 7.7km
    12/7 - rest
    12/8 - 5.1km

29.5/75km

Ankle was fine today so I think I'm set for Sunday's 8 mile run. It's supposed 5o be unseasonably warm so I hope the rest of the ice melts!

Upcoming Races:
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K
    4/8/18 Jasper Half Marathon
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon 10K
  • penko47
    penko47 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    exercise.png
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Distance runners, if I'm planning to do my first 50 km run on April 15, and my longest run is my first marathon (on August 27), how far do you think my longest run should be in training?

Bear in mind it took 3 months to recover from the marathon and get back up to 30 km so far.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!

Now it’s MY turn for a technology fail.

I decided to try my local Parkrun again (3rd time), and it’s 1.8miles to the start so a warm-up jog there. This is the first Parkrun where I’ve actually RUN the whole course. Basically the course structure is up a hill, along, up another hill and back down again. Towards the end, I decided it was churlish to overtake a lady struggling in the last 50 yards so I spent the time on her shoulder egging her on to a sprint finish. I’m still rubbish in terms of speed but never mind.

So the problem is, my TomTom automatically starts it upload to my phone. If I separate the two. It’s of technology during the process then the upload doesn’t happen. And that’s exactly what happened.

So, no detailed record of my run except what’s left in my watch history. I should’ve just stayed in bed and not bothered going.