December 2017 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    13.2 miles at a very conservative pace .

exercise.png

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Distance runners, if I'm planning to do my first 50 km run on April 15, and my longest run is my first marathon (on August 27), how far do you think my longest run should be in training?

Bear in mind it took 3 months to recover from the marathon and get back up to 30 km so far.

I have seen lots of debate on this, but 60-80% of the race distance is where most people seem to fall. For example, Hal Higdon's plans for Marathon have the longest run at 20m. I do not know the logic/etc behind that other than they are trying to avoid overtraining and injury.

So applying that logic, I would GUESS 35km for the 50km.

Really the big thing is to blow past the 2 hour mark where just about everyone is out of glycogen and learning how to manage that consistently on run for an extended period.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Distance runners, if I'm planning to do my first 50 km run on April 15, and my longest run is my first marathon (on August 27), how far do you think my longest run should be in training?

Bear in mind it took 3 months to recover from the marathon and get back up to 30 km so far.

Also, get this book:

51sSfomoi3L.jpg
    On Amazon: http://amzn.to/2iH8T1c

It teaches you how to build your own training plans.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »
    AAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!

Now it’s MY turn for a technology fail.

I decided to try my local Parkrun again (3rd time), and it’s 1.8miles to the start so a warm-up jog there. This is the first Parkrun where I’ve actually RUN the whole course. Basically the course structure is up a hill, along, up another hill and back down again. Towards the end, I decided it was churlish to overtake a lady struggling in the last 50 yards so I spent the time on her shoulder egging her on to a sprint finish. I’m still rubbish in terms of speed but never mind.

So the problem is, my TomTom automatically starts it upload to my phone. If I separate the two. It’s of technology during the process then the upload doesn’t happen. And that’s exactly what happened.

So, no detailed record of my run except what’s left in my watch history. I should’ve just stayed in bed and not bothered going.

Aw that sucks. You did good though, encouraging another runner. And that's proof the run happened :wink:

Your TomTom just detects when your run is complete and uploads? Mind you, I may not follow as I'm unfamiliar with the TomTom. I'm hoping it's a setting you can change.

Eta can you plug your TomTom into your computer to re upload?
    I told DH I wanna to run today... He said I thought you weren't running... "Oh ya.... no I wanna run.. IDK". I'm so lost. My weighs creeping up with zero activity and too much cheesecake, as if there's a thing. So, maybe I'll see what sort of damage I can do today.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Was so close to reaching 7 miles but the urge to pee was too great and I had to tail it home as quickly as possible which helped me make better time. Started the month at a 16 minute mile pace and now I'm at a 12 minute pace. Who knows by the end of this I might make better time than I did in high school and college. Lol. Hope everyone has a good weekend.
    exercise.png
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options

So I am in the minority but I believe in training to 100% of distance before I race. Do you feel like it was the intensity you raced with that knocked you back post marathon? Or was it actually the distance? I think for a lot of people, myself included, it's the former but we associate it with the latter.

@girlinahat good on you for encouraging the other lady at parkrun!

I was very in my own head this morning so I just autopiloted. Will run long tomorrow, possibly the last voyage for my Nomads as the tread is ground down enough that they may as well be bald. Damn you Saucony disconning my trail shoes :'(

December 1- 18
    December 2- 52
    December 3- 20+8
    December 4- 20
    December 5- 16
    December 6- 12
    December 7- Off
    December 8- 29
    December 9- 28

203/626km

2018 Races
    *Gord's Frozen A** 50K, February 19
    *JAJA Trail Marathon, April 1
    *Red Deer Marathon, May 20
    ???Lone Wolf Last Man Standing Race, June 17
    *Cactus Coulee Crawl 30km, TBA June
    *Eddie's Half Marathon, TBA June
    *Run in the Buff 120km TBA August
    *Lost Souls 100 Mile September 7
    ???Lewiston Trail Ultra September 29

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Update The teacher team for the Boston marathon did not select me as one of their 50. There were 16000 applicants. I think I might have had a better shot qualifying on my own. Oh well home life will be better. My wife would prefer if I stick to halfs as my long distance. "Happy wife = Happy life"
    Question on watches what does the $100 investment into a Garmin 235 buy you over the Garmin 35? They both seem to have everything I want but the 35 is $100 less.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
  • MNLittleFinn
    MNLittleFinn Posts: 4,271 Member
    Options
    December goal: Keep kicking at Zumbro training
    Nominal mileage goal: Let's say 120?? I really don't know. Going for like 70% trail

12/1- 7.2
    12/2- 8.2
    12/3- 9.5
    12/4- 5.8
    12/5- REST
    12/6- 6.5
    12/7- REST
    12/8- 8.4ish
    12/9- 9.1

Total: 54.7

Today's notes: Got up at 0400 so I could be running by 0500 so I could be home before 0800 so my wife could go get OT pay. Headed to the Laurentian Divide and met my buddy Andy. There was 3 inches (7.62cm) of fresh powdery snow on the ground. I had Andy lead the way because he knows the trails better and could guide me, since the single track trail was obscured by the snow. We got in 10k in the 1:20 Andy needed for his run, and I ran my additional 40 minutes to finish out my run. It was a very nice day for running, 5F (-15C) with a light 5-10mph wind and, of course, no sun, since we were done before dawn...... Lovely practice rof dark running at Zumbro.

Run stats:
    Total time: 2:00:04
    Total distance: 9.1 miles
    Average pace: 13:10/mile.

Have a Runderful day everyone!

2018 races
    3/28- END-SURE 50k
    4/13- Zumbro Endurance Race 100 Mile
    5/19- Superior Trail 25k (Lottery)
    7/8- Afton 50k???
    9/8- Superior Trail 50 mile (Lottery)
    10/xx Wild Duluth 50k? 100k?
  • AlphaHowls
    AlphaHowls Posts: 1,909 Member
    Options
    12/9 10.85 miles

Started around 25°F came up to about 30°F. Not sure I can go any lower, I am cold!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    How do you all get motivation to stretch, do yoga, foam roll on non-running days or at night? I am supposed to be doing these things 2-3 times per day... I have no problem getting it in 1st thing in the morning, before a run and sometimes after but I often even put that off and later in the evening it is the last thing on my mind. Logically I know it is hurting me in the long run with the healing process for my hip and hamstring but I just can't seem to make it a priority.
  • abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    @shanaber my motivation comes when I feel my body starts to hurt and my back starts to lock up. That and I don't like looking like a hunchback walking around. Lol
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @shanaber - loved that story about the Iowa dad.
    @skippygirlsmom - I love that commercial too! I never watch TV anymore but somehow I saw that on an ad online.

I saw last night on the weather forecast that there was no hope of cycling today due to rain. So had lots of wine and no alarm this AM! I can't think of the last morning I had no alarm set! Oh I know, during the week of being home because of the hurricane with no power, lol.
    Anyway, once I was up I set out to do a longer run and the weather was so nice. A very light sprinkle the whole time and perfect temps! We are actually getting cold weather this year!

Going to have a really busy week at school (last 5 days before the break) and then I drive up to VA to see my mom. I'm trying to figure out how I will do my streak on Saturday when I drive 13 hours. I'm thinking of running 1/2 mile at a rest stop in each state. GA, SC, NC and VA. Then the following Saturday I drive back to FL and my daughter will be with me ... so we can do the same!

12/1 - 1.5 miles #RWRunStreak Day9
    12/2 - 43 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day10
    12/3 - 40 miles cycling + 1 mile #RWRunStreak Day11
    12/4 - 3.1 miles + Strength Training Glutes W3-A - #RWRunStreak Day12
    12/5 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 13 + strength training W3B
    12/6 - 2 miles #RWRunStreak Day 14
    12/7 - 1.3 miles #RWRunStreak Day 15 + strength training W3C
    12/8 - 4 miles #RWRunStreak Day 16
    12/9 - 7 miles! #RWRunStreak Day 17

Daytona Beach HM - 2/4/19

exercise.png

47.9 miles for the Thanksgiving-NYD streak!
  • fithealthygirl
    fithealthygirl Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    exercise.png[\img]
  • NikolaosKey
    NikolaosKey Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Ok, thats it. As it occurred for most of you, it is now my turn to be injured mostly from my own stupidity. I pushed myself too hard the previous week and now I am paying the price. Pain persist at hip/pelvis area and no matter what I do it is there to remind me that the body has limits I should not surpass. So I find it impossible to accomplish my target for this month.

12/1: 10.6k -Easy-
    12/2: 14.1k -Easy-
    12/8: 1.7k -Treadmill-
    12/9: 2.1k -Run/walk-

28.6k/200k

Tomorrow I had a 10k race. I promissed a friend -a fresh runner-we will run together, so I will go, walk and finish this 10k.

Stay hydrated!

Upcoming races:
    12/10: Valdirkeia Run10k
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    12/1 – 0
    12/2 – 5 miles
    12/3 – 0
    12/4 – 7 miles
    12/5 – 5 miles
    12/6 - 0 miles
    12/7 – 6 miles
    12/8 - 0 miles
    12/9 - 3 miles

26 of 100 miles

Awful 3 miles. Still struggling with the food vs run. Got an awful headache at like mile 1, then I was dry heaving at 1.5 so I finished up 3 and came home. ugh

I'll try again tomorrow

Skip's meet was cancelled because it snowed yesterday in Birmingham so our Superintendent of schools wouldn't let us go. I called and begged him but it didn't work ha ha. Crazy parent get off the phone ha ha!!
  • _nikkiwolf_
    _nikkiwolf_ Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom That commercial is really sweet! :heart:

@shanaber It's so unreal to read that you are running in 80F temperatures. It's -2C (28F) outside my window right now ❄ Which is of course nothing compared to @MNLittleFinn 's temperatures!

@PastorVincent If you really want to know how running with "Zombies Run!" feels (and how it looks to everyone else ^^): check out this: https://www.megacynics.com/img/comics/000147.jpg So true!

@Orphia So marathon distance isn't enough anymore? :grin: I've used Hal Higdon's plans for both my marathons, I saw that he also has a 50k training plan on his website. The longest runs with a given distance are 3x 20mi and then a marathon, in the weeks after that there are just times perscribed for the long runs, up to 5 hours.

@rolaasad Great that you ran, awesome start into the day! I don't know about abdominal breathing, I don't pay any attention to how I breath at all. I vaguely remember trying to follow some steps-per-breath pattern a long time ago, but it didn't work for me at all...

@girlinahat I'm not quite sure I understand what went wrong - the upload was interrupted during syncing? Maybe the TomTom will still sync the run after the next activity? Something like that happened to me once.

@JessicaMcB We should start a "Saucony, give me back my favourite shoes" petition. I still can't believe they discontinued the Cortana! I didn't know they were doing the same to the Nomad.

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 4.2
    12/2 - 2.5
    12/4 - 3.3
    12/7 - 4.2
    12/9 - 7.4

December total: 21.6/ ???

Another cold one, but I did a better job dressing for it. Costco Adidas hoodie over my normal shorts and shirt, and gloves. The hoodie was great; I put it up when I was cold and down when I was hot. Lazy Saturday with everyone at home asleep and nothing planned, so I just went until I was tired of going, then walked another mile and a half.

Went home, took my shower, put some laundry in, went out to get coffee and pastries for breakfast. Came back to find the house in a flurry of activity, having gotten a "Haven't seen you in fifteen years so I'm dropping by in a few hours!" call from a cousin-in-law who is old enough to be an auntie-in-law. Two and a half hours later, the house looks very slightly less like wolves live in it, and I'm just now sitting down to my first food of the day.