WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Penny - The percentage is just up in the corner when you see the chart. Next to the number of days streak. I am now 48% fluent in Swedish. :laugh: I don't think so. :noway: I remember getting off the bus in Norway, having completed the whole Norwegian course on Duolingo, and not being able to speak a word! I did improve during the trip, but passive knowledge is not the same as active.

My relationship with music is very fraught. I love music, but I get terrible "earworms" that can drive me insane. Some tunes just go round and round my head for days and sometimes all night. I daren't play "Graceland" , for example, or "Let it Go". Aaaaarrrrrgggghhh! "Human" by the Killers is another one. I love it, but it won’t leave me alone. :'(:#:o

Going shopping with DH this afternoon to pick up stuff for Sunday lunch with his elder daughter and her boyfriend. DH is going to make his famous crumble. :D<3 It will be just a roast chicken with pigs in blankets that she requested - low key and no ceremony. B)

Thanks Barbie for continuing this wonderful thread. I so value you all. <3 For December I would love to shed a pound or two. Just one would be great. I have gained three pounds over maintenance, so it really is time to get a grip.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    BARBIE thanks for Dec thread

Loving all Christmas decoration pics, we don't put any up now as we are away for the holidays

Kate UK <3
  • Peach1948
    Peach1948 Posts: 2,473 Member
    Options
    Happy December to All! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- LOVE your new profile pic! That red dress looks fantastic on you!

Thanks! That was me on Christmas Day 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I've put on a little bit of weight since then ... which I'm hoping to drop so I might be able to wear that dress again. :)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,214 Member
    Options
    Machka - I too love that red dress! A great inducement to lose a couple of pounds. I bought a similar one this year and I love it. Red always cheers me up! <3

Rori - So sorry to hear about your neighbour. The people we see every day are wrapped into the fabric of our lives. <3 The memorial get together sounds a good idea.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    :)Lisa, I read "10% Happier" by Dan Harris over a year ago and it was what helped me start on a daily meditation practice. I started with 5 minutes and added 5 seconds a day until I got to 16 minutes. I credit meditation for my peacefulness and acceptance of my surgery last year. Now I listen to Dan's podcast "10% Happier" where he interviews interesting people from all walks of life who meditate. It fuels and reinforces my daily practice. I found a place in my morning schedule for meditation and I highly recommend it,

:) Jake arrived home safely by 7 AM yesterday. He woke up early and was the fourth car in line for the earliest ferry in the morning. He has to take it easy for four days so that leaves me with all the dog walking and any chore that requires lifting anything over 5 pounds. He wanted to go out to lunch so we could sit and talk without the distractions of dogs or watching "Jeopardy". After that we did a few errands and came home and watched the library video of the 1974 version of "Murder on the Orient Express".

:) We don't decorate or bake or cook or buy gifts or observe holidays in any way, but I'm enjoying reading about all your preparations and decorations and adventures.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Barbie - One reason I started meditating is that I have trouble falling asleep at night. My husband's head hits the pillow and 10 seconds later he's snoring, but I usually toss and turn for an hour or two before dropping off. I've discovered that a bit of meditation right before bed works wonders.

At first I meditated in a chair or couch in the living room. Then I switched to sitting on the edge of the bed. Now I've learned that if I first undress and then do a 19-minute guided meditation sitting on the bed, I can sometimes fall asleep without noticing that I'm lying awake. Previously, I've usually been so hot that I had to keep adjusting the covers when I went to bed. I think undressing is contributing by lowering my body temperature before I even try to fall asleep.
    /Penny, well-rested at thet07190.gif
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    morning again ladies~
    I am hoping this is just a cold and not the flu~ can not afford to be out of work...went down to the grand reopening of the supermarket my son works at and got a goodie bag as one of the first 200 customers in... shopping bag with all sorts of goodies in it and free 1/2 gallon of milk, free dozen eggs, free frozen pizza dough,,, I did pick up some 1/2 and 1/2 and Emergen-C , drinking that now, and then will lay down for a bit...
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,089 Member
    Options
    <3B)<3
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Penny - The percentage is just up in the corner when you see the chart. Next to the number of days streak. I am now 48% fluent in Swedish. :laugh: I don't think so. :noway: I remember getting off the bus in Norway, having completed the whole Norwegian course on Duolingo, and not being able to speak a word! I did improve during the trip, but passive knowledge is not the same as active.
    My relationship with music is very fraught. I love music, but I get terrible "earworms" that can drive me insane. Some tunes just go round and round my head for days and sometimes all night. I daren't play "Graceland" , for example, or "Let it Go". Aaaaarrrrrgggghhh! "Human" by the Killers is another one. I love it, but it won’t leave me alone. :'(:#:o
    Thanks Heather - and Machka - but I don't see any percentage, and I tried four different browsers too! Is it a Windows 10 thing? Actually I DID see a percentage, 86%, but I was in the Chinese course so I knew there had to be something wrong. Turns out it was my battery charge. :laugh:

When I get some tune stuck in my head and need to get rid of it, I've found one surefire way to exorcise it. I just start singing the baritone aria "Betrachte, meine Seel, mit ängstlichem Vergnügen" from Bach's St. John Passion. It ALWAYS drives the earworm out of my head. Sometimes it replaces the earworm, but I don't mind that!

Hey, don't anybody knock it! It works for me!

My father has a "default song" and is convinced that when he's lying on his deathbed it will be to the tune of the theme song from "Cheers" (Makin' your way in the world today takes everything you've got...). I have a default song too, but unfortunately it's even worse. It's the jingle Norwegian ice cream trucks play when they're driving around. t9403.gif When my time comes, I hope I can remember to replace it with Betrachte...
    /Penny at the t07190.gif

• margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,053 Member
    Options
    At one of the schools I sub for a 5th grader named Zoe issued a challenge of doing an act of Kindness for someone and the challenge that person to pay it forward three times. For the last couple of years I have made doing an acts of Kindness my December goal this challenge fits me perfectly.

I realize part of kindness is to not make a big deal out of it. This is why I like bringing in this idea is that of a 5th grade girl who is trying turn around the negativity that seems to be persuasive throughout the world right now.

:heart: Margaret
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Happy December!

Rori - so sorry to hear about your friend and neighbor - glad Casper has found a home but I know you and your kitty will them both, as you mentioned.

Sue
    - I'll bet Ginger is a real love. Hope she can hang around a bit longer with minimal pain. Our older dog is 1/2 poodle and shares that sweet face.

Wendy - I read the "Wolves" book over twenty years ago. I see our library has some of Estes more recent works and will check them out. When I read the "Wolves" book I was still immersed in the business world, trying my hardest to make a contribution and putting everything into what I loved doing. Now that I'm retired, let's just say it's been a challenge to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, lol. I so appreciate your sharing on this thread.... gets me a little closer to recapturing those moments I enjoyed and analyzing why I enjoyed them. Hey, how is the queen business doing?

Joyce - glad to hear you are managing with all of your extra hardware, lol. Foot, arm... if people ask, just tell them the thug that did this to you is still in intensive care! He got the worst of it!! >:) Same goes for Terry and DJ and the rest of you with braces or casts right now.

Heather - I love hearing about your company - I would be super stressed out but I know you handle it with finesse and grace. Having the pub close by has to help immensely, lol. Glad your friend will still be close by and it was terrific you could spend more time with your cancer friend.

Pip - I am so impressed with all of your special Christmas tree ornaments! Do you have your tree up and are they on there right now? What a nice way to reminisce and be surrounded with loving and special things this time of year.

Machka - you are the bomb in that red dress. And your Christmas trees (and everyone elses) are getting me excited. I'm afraid DH ate our tree, lol. I'm at least going to dig out lights! And put my Santa carvings on the mantel!

Katla - glad your cleaner showed up and did a good job for you! Sure makes a difference and lifts a person's spirits. Found out our former cleaner had dental surgery yesterday and now has a hernia so not sure if she's cleaning much if at all right now. Regarding green medicine - I think I'm allergic to the smell but it absolutely has a place in the medical world. My DH finds it helps with his RA pain. Glad it's legal now in our states so those who need it can get it. I actually bought some arthritis rub with an extract in it when my knee hurt. It didn't help with that but I need to dig it out next time I get muscle and/or joint pain and see if it does the trick.

Thank you Barbie for bringing us into December! I see I signed up on Dec 24th last year. Am so happy with the changes I've been able to make with constant encouragement and support found here. I am going to have to check out "10% Happier".

I've never been one to sit still long enough to meditate, although lately I'm finding it easier to take my thoughts elsewhere and blocking out reality - to visualize being in a store or park, for example, and noticing the detail, hearing the sounds, smelling the smells. I wonder if this is a sign of dementia??? Maybe it's time to finally sit down and write that novel???

Goals
    - continue strength training and bone building exercises (added jumping jacks in November and it's going well. 20 of them three times a week when I'm doing the other strength routine. They are gentler than the ones I did 50 years ago - no high leaping with arms clapping above the head... not yet anyhow, lol.)

And sugar.... one day at a time I'm afraid. I have apples on the grocery list today.

Eating after 5 pm.... still difficult but learning the hard way with the acid reflux problems which are getting better. Ten more days of omeprazole.

Time to get going. Have a great day everyone!!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Kim: I am so pleased that things are going well for you and I envy your cookie baking with your mom. :heart:

Machka in OZ: I love your little artificial tree with its teddy bears. Thanks for sharing Christmas photos in Australia. :star:

Lisa: I hope you are happy and feel at home in North Carolina for a long while to come. :heart:

Heather: Like you, I'm up a few pounds over maintenance. I'm ready to take it on. Two things have been my downfall--I've been a little too generous with alcohol consumption and sugary treats that it seems to bring along with it. :grumble:

KJ: I love the words of consolation you shared with Rori. :heart:

Margaret: I love the idea of acts of kindness. What a lovely thing and surprising to learn about it from a 5th grader. :heart:

I am planning to go to yoga today & also thinking about Christmas gifts for my adult children. I think that we've given generous gifts to each for DS's upcoming baby and DGD's health issues. I'm sending gifts to the grandchildren. Is that enough? Advice welcome!!! Also desperately needed...

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

Struggling with this at the moment:
    "The greatest weapon against stress is our ability to choose one thought over another." - William James
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    yo peeps
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,550 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Did Jari Love Revved to the Max DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Cathe Friedrich Afterburn DVD

pip - what neat favors! Were you and Kirby married in December?

M - is castor sugar like our confectioners sugar? Thanks for the recipes

Sharon - Kiera sounds so adorable

Terry - that pic of Betty Boop is very very good. You say your daughter drew it?

janetr - fantastic tree! You are so talented

Rori - I'm so sorry about your friend. How nice of you to volunteer to put those flyers up! That's just like you. You can do this, you are a strong woman.

K - 50 hours is awesome!

Michele in NC

no, in june, we were married on a boat
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Rori - So sorry for your loss