WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,883 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Made the pierogi tonight and boo hoo hoo, not a one of them broke. Well, I HAD to be sure they were good enough to serve company, so somehow one of them found it's way into my stomach. Weird how that happens. I am attributing none breaking to my getting better and better at making and kneading the dough. Vince says it's because of his quality control (he pinches them closed). Who knows? I just know that I liked when they broke.

Michele in NC

I may need to get recipe and tips from you. I can't buy them here at all, nor anything like them, so I tried to make them once and it was a disaster. I haven't tried since.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    KJLaMore wrote: »
    Machka- LOVE your new profile pic! That red dress looks fantastic on you!

Thanks! That was me on Christmas Day 2 years ago. Unfortunately, I've put on a little bit of weight since then ... which I'm hoping to drop so I might be able to wear that dress again. :)

Thanks everyone. :)

I also thought I'd mention that the beach I'm at is right near my sister-in-law's place a couple hour's drive from where we live. But despite how close it is, I think that was the last time we were out there. Just one of those things ... when you live relatively close to something, it seems harder to go there for some reason!!

That Christmas Day was a beautiful hot day, so we spent some time walking along and wading in the water there.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Machka - you are the bomb in that red dress. And your Christmas trees (and everyone elses) are getting me excited. I'm afraid DH ate our tree, lol. I'm at least going to dig out lights! And put my Santa carvings on the mantel!

Ate??

• Machka9
    Options
    Wendy Coffee and Egg is the name of Lisa's blog on Wordpress - coffeeandegg dot wordpress dot com - so wonderful -
    and I, too, am inspired by your example of a joyous, active, well-lived life. I have asked for The Joyous Body on audiobook for Christmas. Thank you for that. I am with you on the food intake being the thing that makes the difference in my weight control. Heather and others find that exercise makes the difference in whether they can eat a decent amount of food or not. Someday I hope to be there, but they are talking about the difference between eating 1000 calories and 1600 calories. If I was always within that range of calories, then exercise would also be the biggest factor in whether I could eat 3 decent meals a day vs nearly starving. I exercise for heart and bone health, but my weight challenge has everything to do with what goes in my mouth. I burn about 300-400 calories per hour of exercise. I can eat 300-400 calories in less than a minute! A handful of nuts, a helping of flavored coffee creamer at work, a too large portion of pad thai, a portion of leftover Duchess potato casserole from Thanksgiving...these are a few of my recent indiscretions.

Unfortunately, I've discovered that my maintenance is net-1500 calories. Depressingly low. A single Dominos pizza will get me most of the way there. :(

However, fortunately exercise does help.

I just have to be sure to track everything I eat ... and I use a kitchen scale to do that ... so that I've got an accurate count.

And I have to be sure to track my exercise as low/light/slow, and round down on the time I spend doing the exercise. So if I cycle at a brisk pace for 66 minutes, I record it as a slower pace for 60 minutes. Or if I walk at a almost a light jog for 35 min ... I'll record it as a slow walk at 30 min.

I also only record exercise, so I don't use a fitbit or anything like that. I don't count anything indoors (other than actual exercise like a treadmill, rowing machine, spin bike or trainer, and weights) ... so the fact that I cover nearly 1 km (I did measure it once out of curiosity) walking to the toilet and back in my rather large office does not get recorded. Walking around grocery stores and shopping centres doesn't get recorded either. In fact, if my lunchtime walk takes me into a variety of shops, I'll record the walk to the shop, but not the part inside the shop.

And then, when I'm really actively trying to lose weight (like now), I will only eat a portion of my exercise calories ... not the whole lot.

BTW Wendy ... some of that weight gain could be water weight. I tend to suddenly put on 2-3 kg immediately after a long bicycle ride, and then 3 or 4 days later, I double my output, and the next morning, I'm back to normal again.

When I'm exercising a lot, I tend to yo-yo a lot with my weight because my poor body doesn't know if it should be in the retaining water phase or the getting rid of water phase.

Machka in Oz
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbie Thank you so much for your comments on your approach to holidays. It helped me realize that part of my blah-ness could be banished by permitting myself to have different expectations. Pretty simple, but I hadn't quite gotten there. Thank you!

Karen in Virginia
  • Marcelynh
    Marcelynh Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I never do New Year's resolutions. They just never work. So today I read an article about how people that make December 1st resolutions are often much more successful in keeping those resolutions. It's part psychological, part physical (weird but true) .... so I decided to try it out.

Now I just have to figure out what the resolutions should be. lol
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Think healing thoughts and prayers for my nuke son. He has sprained both ankles from doing his weekly 5K runs. He must have ankles that turn in? Too many times at sick call, or limited duty, could possibility eliminate him from the Navy. Hoping when he comes home for the holidays we can strengthen them with exercises.
    Becca
    Oregon
  • Machka9
    Options
    Saturday -- Rain, cool, and windy. Too much like winter. Not enough like summer.

So ... we went to the gym.

45 minutes of running
    11 minutes of walking on either side of the running

That was 45 minutes of running straight through with no breaks. :) One of the rare times I've done that since I was a teenager. Felt good!

My husband has suggested now that I look for a 5K run to do, and we're discussing me running outside at lunch. It would be a good way to burn a few extra calories.

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    I will do my Christmas cards in the next week and get them posted. Love seeing all the decorations but so glad I don't have to do it. Talking about letters, there is one letter I look forward to receiving, it is from a friend I made at University, she is considerably younger than me as I was in my 40s when I was at Uni. She writes a long chatty letter relating her adventures through the year and I love reading it. So although I haven't seen her since graduation in 1992 I feel close to her.

Advantage of being in Spain for hols is that we can enjoy English Christmas and Spanish (Jan 6) and 2 New Years (due to time difference)

Need to exercise now , will do Leslie Sansone and some KB

Love and hugs for all with problems <3<3<3

Kate UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,705 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    morning ladies~
    up and will hop in shower after my tea.. just trying to get my head wrapped around going to work.. and was up last night tossing and turning wondering how its going to go, then I said give it to God and fell asleep , I am not an overly religous person, but was raised Catholic, going to try and get back into going to church...found a little cutie dog I want to adopt ,will talk to my landlord first, will tell him I will have him crated while not here, and give him my vets name and number .. and any damage done I would pay for..that should be fine, I will be buying the condo once the divorce is final
    I have my boots on that Tracy bought me for Christmas, we went to consignment shop and got a black pair and a brown pair,34.00 so im happy, got her a couple of blazers for work and and a dress, only people I really have to get anything for are my DB and DSIL and my son
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,920 Member
    Options
    My lovely DDIL, who did the TED talk in Cyprus, has just started, with a couple of other people, a blog/Instagram/Facebook thing about how not to get stressed at Christmas, especially as a mum. Lovely. I'm going to donate more food to the food bank and do some random acts of kindness when I can. :D I feel better already :laugh:

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx

:) This is one of the reasons I am part of the line dance performance group that dances at the assisted living places and convalescent hospitals during the Christmas season. It is a giving act not unlike random acts of kindness---giving with no expectations.

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Becca - Owain looks so grown up in that photo! Handsome guy in a uniform B) . Hope he gets his ankle problem solved - some of mom's TLC will help, I'm sure. Glad the vertigo has subsided and I hope those constant bathroom trips have settled down. I am excited for you and your DH being with all your sons over the holidays. <3

Kim
    - enjoy the time with your mom! Hope her cardiologist visit goes well. All those cookies - so nice to have help and what a nice gesture to friends and neighbors.

Rye - I truly enjoyed your Christmas story. I fondly recall picking gifts from under the tree, and the thrill of finding the right gifts and watching the joy as the people I loved opened them when we still had family close by.

Barbie - I so much appreciate your thoughts on Christmas. You are right, for some folks it's just the habit and inertia that keeps it going and there really isn't much special about it anymore. So I've decided to email the Christmas/Holiday greeting this year to relatives. I can add photos, the Bucket List, etc. If I can't find an E-Card, I'll make one myself.

Kate
    - We have friends who were our "sheep" neighbors when we lived near Seattle. We did a lot of things together - Ingrid and I went to many sheep shows and swapped animals. I always love getting her Christmas letter and seeing the photos of her kids and grandkids... all of them are quickly growing up. When do you leave for Spain?

Michele
    - your idea of sending Christmas cards to people you receive cards from is pretty much the way I do it. We have 2 new neighbors on our little road and want to send them a card as well - we don't know their names but will keep checking the county records to see when the deeds are recorded and I'll get it from there. Older folks who don't send cards or can't afford it get them as well, because cards do mean a lot to them. Good job on the pierogi and sorry they all turned out so well, lol. Glad you did a test sample!!

Allie - I am so excited for you with the possibility of going to a new job! Crossing fingers!!

Machka
    - my DH ate the Christmas tree is referring to the joke photo I posted a few days ago of a wrapped Little Debbie cake in the shape of a Christmas tree with green frosting. :D

Heather
    - I am so impressed that your DH helps out so much with the food preparation and entertaining your visitors. Sure helps to have someone carry some of the load during this busy month.

Have a good weekend!

Lanette
    SW WA State
  • Machka9
    Options
    Happy because I'm finished my decorating ... and still feeling some of the endorphins from my run earlier. That's probably why I was able to finish the decorating. I had energy! :)

Sad because of all the rain we're getting, and it is just pouring again now. It's heartbreaking. This is the last thing we need right now in the orchard. My poor husband was out there this morning trying to blow dry the cherries and said there had already been a loss. The loss is probably double now. He'll be back out there again tomorrow morning (in about 6 hours). The only thing that might help is the fact that the wind is supposed to start up sometime tonight and I think the rain is supposed to ease off in a couple hours.

We're absolutely glued to about half a dozen weather sites these days.

But as bad as it is here, Victoria (State on the mainland just north of us) is much worse. They've been really hard hit by the rain. We lived around the middle of Victoria for a number of years when I first came to Australia and our hearts are still there.

Machka in Oz