WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2017

Options

Replies

• okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    My December goals are the same as November for the most part. It will be a challenging month, so I'm not going crazy.

1. Lose 5 lbs
    2. Walk at least 4 days a week
    3. Continue to log every bite

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Kayla, your tree is lovely but that chest it is sitting on! That is exquisite!

Still can't find a good way for my left arm to be comfortable at night.

Joyce, Indiana
  • wildhorsewendy
    wildhorsewendy Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Kelly, I did raise my arms in victory as I crossed that finish line! Sometimes, I don't know what it is inside of me that makes me take on big challenges. Probably a deep seated feeling of inferiority and I must prove to myself over and over that I am worthy and I can do it. I have a tendency to compare myself to others and find myself not quite up to speed. LOL That's why Dr. Estes books really resonate with me because she sends the message over and over that I am good enough and to love myself and love my incredible body and creative mind. I think the best book for anyone to start with is The Joyous Body, because it really is a celebration of the "consort" that we take care of and in turn, it takes care of us. Her books are so deep and wide, they cover a range of issues and she tells so many little stories from her life and from folk tales that add dimensions. It is hard to describe her books. It's like trying to shove a sleeping bag into a teensy carrying bag. LOL

Lanette, I am going out to check my queens today. Last week's lottery got me zero, so I suggested to three different hives that they should make queens for me. I'll see if any took up the idea. Right now, luckily we don't need many queens as most of our hives are out on the Manuka flow but in a few months we will be splitting hives and will need heaps, so I am trying to encourage my mother hives to get into the mood in preparation for that. My husband has been working at night, moving hives onto the sites, which are on dirt cliff tracks in the back of nowhere, bush gullies. Manuka used to be called "scrub" and the farmers killed it, sprayed it, grubbed it out. But now the farmers leave it and rent out their sites to bee keepers. This year we've had extreme weather conditions. Non stop rain all spring, and now we're in a drought. The dry hot weather is great for the bees and we are hoping to have a good honey year.

Machka, I too love that red dress picture! Red has always been my favourite colour although I don't actually wear it that often, but I do have a couple of red jackets. It takes a lot of confidence to wear an eye catching red dress but Christmas is always a good day for it.

Lisa or whoever else has it, can you please send me the link to Lisa's blog. Thanks

So today I am going to do bee work, and I am hooking up my van Daisy Duke to my horse "float" (that word still makes me laugh as I envision horse's floating down the road) and I am moving two of the horses to friend's pastures, as we are rapidly running out of grass here. I am going to start though with a cup of red bush tea and then do my kettlebell workout. Then out to feed all the hungry mouths.

Notice how I am avoiding talking about my weight. Despite achieving my half marathon goal, I am sadly up 11 pounds over my goal weight and it is making me annoyed, and too phat to fit into my pants. I am forced to realise that for me, it is all about diet and nothing about exercise! I just LOVE to eat, and I am addicted to sugar. So my goal for December is to GET IN CONTROL of my diet and plan ahead.

<3 Wendy
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi to all. I am home. DH is safely deposited. His bunkmate is actually our friend from the support group. DH doesn't have phone yet, so the other guy is calling his wife, who is texting me. That is awesome and makes me more comfortable. More later. meg
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    I finally had a brainwave today as to a Christmas present I really want. Hooray! My watch, which was the first birthday present from DH when we first met, has been driving me nuts recently. The slightest tug detaches the strap and it's a pain to put back on, plus the winder is easily dislodged and the watch stops, which is a bother if you are relying on it. I have been swearing at it for some time, so I suddenly thought, why not have a new one from DH this Christmas! :D I've chosen one with a second hand, easily read time (I use it as a clock at night) and a metal strap, because I'm fed up with having to buy a new leather one every year. It's a man's one, like my old one, but not too large. I bought it (I have Prime) and DH has reimbursed me.
    Now all I need is for him to have a brainwave for my present to him. :D We always get each other small presents to open in bed on Christmas morning, but the big present is normally not a surprise. I've got all his small presents, apart from a tin of biscuits, which Amazon seems to be having trouble with. They keep apologising. :bigsmile:

DH bought an Amazon Fire dongle for the main Samsung tv, which has given up on iplayer (free BBC playback) It's a legal thing I gather. It arrived today, but he couldn't get it to fit in the slot. After much wrestling he took it upstairs to the smaller tv in his study and it fits up there and is working perfectly. We can get everything but iplayer on our Samsung dongle in the main room. I usually watch iplayer on my tablet anyway, but it's nice to know we can see it on a TV screen if necessary. Not quite job done, but nearly.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • ydailey
    ydailey Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Today is World AIDS Day.

"There is a disease that reached out into the world and changed the way we thought about everything, from how we got our blood transfusions to our sexual practices. It was met with a campaign of fear and superstition that harmed both those who had it, and the families and friends of those who surrounded them. World AIDS Day works to ensure that those who suffer from AIDS can live in a safer, more understanding world and help further research to eliminate it."

Sue - Thank you for sharing the photo of Ginger. Look at that face!

Wendy - That's a gorgeous setting for the Clarissa Pinkola Estes quote! I love her writing... her Facebook page always has something wise to share.

Rori - Deepest condolences on the loss of your friend. Too bad Casper couldn't stay with you. Hope the celebration of life wraps you in warm memories.

Katla - We always had a real Christmas tree, but I have fond memories of my paternal grandmother's shiny aluminum tree with red glass ornaments. The sight of one of those trees always takes me back to happy times.

Heather - I get "earworms" too. I don't know if they touch on something my brain is pondering or what, but a song will suddenly start looping in my head, sometimes for days on end. My friend David says humming "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" is a surefire cure, but I'm not sure I want to have that stuck in my head either.

Penny - Hah! I guess there are worse tunes than the "Cheers" theme song to go out on.

We like to decorate the pine tree in our front yard with oversized ornaments. We haven't had an actual Christmas tree in several years, but this year it looks like we'll be home for the holidays and I'm thinking I want to go cut down a fresh tree. I need to get our Christmas boxes down from the attic and start getting organized.

I doubt my local grocery would carry it, but you can order caster sugar online from King Arthur Flour, where I get a lot of my specialty baking stuff. They call it "Baker's Special Sugar."

Well, I swore I'd make a belated run to the recycling center today, and I'd better get on it. The recycling is taking over my kitchen.

Happy Friday!

-Yvonne in TX
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    afternoon ladies~
    well feeling a tad better.. I took Emergen C when I got home and then took a 3 1/2 hr nap.. much better.. also got a call from a friend of mine, I might have a job working for him, going to stop over Monday after work and speak with him and Sarah.. he told me he wants someone who is personable and good on the phone and is of our vintage lol not some 20 yr old
    I have known his family all my life, and he just got married about 7 yrs ago and has 3 small children and he is 3 yrs older than me..
    My sister in law also said I can work for her part time taking care of Faith and get paid for it also... so there are avenue's opening up..
    having a little Christmas Party at the pub here the 16th at night, that is when Tom leaves and I am staying with the Dogs.. but they will be fine,I am taking that day off from work,which is a Saterday as I am having the girls from work over for a Christmas Party here.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    lhscapil wrote: »
    Happy December!

Rori - so sorry to hear about your friend and neighbor - glad Casper has found a home but I know you and your kitty will them both, as you mentioned.

Sue
    - I'll bet Ginger is a real love. Hope she can hang around a bit longer with minimal pain. Our older dog is 1/2 poodle and shares that sweet face.

Wendy - I read the "Wolves" book over twenty years ago. I see our library has some of Estes more recent works and will check them out. When I read the "Wolves" book I was still immersed in the business world, trying my hardest to make a contribution and putting everything into what I loved doing. Now that I'm retired, let's just say it's been a challenge to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, lol. I so appreciate your sharing on this thread.... gets me a little closer to recapturing those moments I enjoyed and analyzing why I enjoyed them. Hey, how is the queen business doing?

Joyce - glad to hear you are managing with all of your extra hardware, lol. Foot, arm... if people ask, just tell them the thug that did this to you is still in intensive care! He got the worst of it!! >:) Same goes for Terry and DJ and the rest of you with braces or casts right now.

Heather - I love hearing about your company - I would be super stressed out but I know you handle it with finesse and grace. Having the pub close by has to help immensely, lol. Glad your friend will still be close by and it was terrific you could spend more time with your cancer friend.

Pip - I am so impressed with all of your special Christmas tree ornaments! Do you have your tree up and are they on there right now? What a nice way to reminisce and be surrounded with loving and special things this time of year.

Machka - you are the bomb in that red dress. And your Christmas trees (and everyone elses) are getting me excited. I'm afraid DH ate our tree, lol. I'm at least going to dig out lights! And put my Santa carvings on the mantel!

Katla - glad your cleaner showed up and did a good job for you! Sure makes a difference and lifts a person's spirits. Found out our former cleaner had dental surgery yesterday and now has a hernia so not sure if she's cleaning much if at all right now. Regarding green medicine - I think I'm allergic to the smell but it absolutely has a place in the medical world. My DH finds it helps with his RA pain. Glad it's legal now in our states so those who need it can get it. I actually bought some arthritis rub with an extract in it when my knee hurt. It didn't help with that but I need to dig it out next time I get muscle and/or joint pain and see if it does the trick.

Thank you Barbie for bringing us into December! I see I signed up on Dec 24th last year. Am so happy with the changes I've been able to make with constant encouragement and support found here. I am going to have to check out "10% Happier".

I've never been one to sit still long enough to meditate, although lately I'm finding it easier to take my thoughts elsewhere and blocking out reality - to visualize being in a store or park, for example, and noticing the detail, hearing the sounds, smelling the smells. I wonder if this is a sign of dementia??? Maybe it's time to finally sit down and write that novel???

Goals
    - continue strength training and bone building exercises (added jumping jacks in November and it's going well. 20 of them three times a week when I'm doing the other strength routine. They are gentler than the ones I did 50 years ago - no high leaping with arms clapping above the head... not yet anyhow, lol.)

And sugar.... one day at a time I'm afraid. I have apples on the grocery list today.

Eating after 5 pm.... still difficult but learning the hard way with the acid reflux problems which are getting better. Ten more days of omeprazole.

Time to get going. Have a great day everyone!!

Lanette
    SW WA State

i have my tree up now and just picking one to take a pic of each night
  • ljdw99
    ljdw99 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    :)
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Sue That's a pretty table...and a lovely tablecloth!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    Options
    I think you all get going on the Christmas spirit a bit earlier than we do over here. The stores are at it already, but I don't know anyone who has started their decorations yet. I wouldn't start until a week or so before Christmas. I want ours up for the 19th when my brother and DSIL are calling in on our way to the posh pub for lunch. They gave us tree ornaments for our birthdays, so I suppose I have to have them on the tree. Actually I'm with Karen - I do it all very grudgingly and would much prefer not to bother. >:)
    I've bought a load of plastic for the grandchildren this year, but it's the first and last time. It's what they and their mum asked for, but I really am not comfortable about it. Next year I will find a better solution.
    I would much prefer to go away for Christmas. I have spent two Christmases in the Middle East and loved it. DH is not keen on that idea. I am going to relax about it all and just chill. It too will pass. :) I can smile and fake it till I make it.

Tomorrow DH is making the stuffing for the chicken and I will be making bread sauce for the Christmas turkey and freezing it. We can have a bit with the chicken. He could make the topping for the apricot crumble.

Karen - I do my exercises so I can eat 1800 calories a day. If I go lowish carb, that is usually enough to satisfy me and includes a few treats. I don't feel deprived. The recent weight gain is due to too much alcohol and a few days of completely losing track. Normally I feel very satisfied. :D

I am so near to finishing writing my memoir. The typing up still has a way to go. That is what I really want to do with my time. This time of year always throws me into a spin - two years running, before I met DH, I rang the Samaritans. Tomorrow morning I will write a bit more and not get distracted by other things. If I do my writing the day is bombproof.

Much love, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon.

I'm so sorry for the unexpected loss of your friend, Rori. :cry:

Meg -- I hope you can have some peace and space for clear thinking during this hard time.

The meeting with the pastor went fine. He's going to say a very little bit, and then we'll share. I know the girls each want to say something, and my mom may say something. I'm still thinking about it. Right now I'm in the anger stage, about the way our country treats the mentally ill. I know that treatment contributed to my sister's death. I don't want to get all political, so I am giving myself some time to decide whether I will say anything or not.

I paid for the cremation, shipping, and death certificate yesterday. That's actually what set me off. The cremation guy called me back to say that there is a delay in issuing the death certificate because the coroner's office couldn't reconcile what the hospital records say relating to how they claim my sister died. They can't cremate her until they settle how she died. I'm better now. I can type that without hyperventilating, but I had a complete break down yesterday morning. I haven't told anyone but you all and my friend at work whom I managed to get an email to for help. She sat with me in my office for an hour while I cried and tried to breath.

I still don't have a final word, but at best, her death is due to extreme neglect. At worst, they may have just killed her. Seriously. It is heartbreaking, and I'm beginning to get upset again, so I will stop now.

Much love.

Felicia
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • langman22
    langman22 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Barbie, thanks for the new thread for Dec. You are so good to us.

Katla, yes I got to choose the color for my cast. Hope to have something painted on it this weekend. It’s driving me nuts. Glad it’s only on for 2 weeks.

Michele, yes my daughter painted the Betty Boop.

Janet, I do crafts like you do…singing with joy in my heart. I truly believe everyone can do some type of craft. They just have to find the right one.

Sorry to hear so many of you are sick.

Love all the photos of trees, self, pets, family, decorations (did I miss anything??) Think I may put up our tree this weekend. We just have a 5’ one. Our place is small so it fits well.

I’m beat today. Just waiting for DH to pick me up. Going to pick up a pizza on the way home. My eating has been in the toilet this week. Not sure what’s going on. I think this wrist thing threw me for a loop.

Can’t remember what my Nov goals were, but I’m sure I didn’t meet any of them. I’ll have to think about what I want for Dec.

Hugs to all, Terry tired in VT
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!

Been away from here for 2 weeks so not up to snuff on all the goings on. Flying home tomorrow afternoon after spending time in VA moving my daughter into her first home! Had a wonderful visit with Karen. I'll try and catch up this week. Hope you are all well!

Cheri
    Currently in VA heading home to TX tomorrow