Options
12345679»

Replies

• MissyCHF
    MissyCHF Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    evileen99 wrote: »
    besaro wrote: »
    i could eat a whole pineapple. you people are amateurs.

I've eaten a dozen oranges or a whole watermelon in a day. Along with other stuff.

Would you do that consistently while losing weight? Like 3-4 times a week? I'm getting the feeling WW thinks you will self limit on these foods and they can get away with saying you can have all you want knowing you won't have a lot day in day out.
    Many thanks. :)

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jbrown2339 wrote: »
    My comment on weighing struck a wrong chord and actually didn't make sense in context. In terms of WW they do a lot of mystery behind their points to force you to be in the program to work the magic. So to the poster upthread, completely agree. They do that so you have to pay to access the abikity to count points.

For the weighing thing, in terms of mfp, I do see posts of people insist that you weigh everything even very low calorie vegetables like spinach or shredded carrots of even a clove of garlic. That is what I was referring to, if WW freestyle can give free foods you don't have to weigh, to me that's a plus. One less worry, if you are sensible. Wolf down a carton of eggs and a bunch of bananas, of course you will gain. But the ease in some ways makes it more manageable for people on the go or who don't have time to worry that level of detail.

Having said that, I'm not a fan of WW, I think it's intentionally mysterious to get your money. I just weigh the high calorie stuff, and track veggies roughly, and that seems to work for me, and I don't spend a dIme. I know for some who don't make progress properly weighting everything to figure it out makes sense.

People who choose to weigh things like spinach, carrots, and garlic generally do so because they actually *prefer* the specificity (either because they prefer to optimize accuracy in calorie logging or because they like knowing their nutrient breakdown). So weighing those is a plus for those people. There are tons of successful people who estimate their intake of low calorie vegetables and even some people who don't track them at all. So to use that as a minus for calorie counting doesn't make sense to me.

I don't know of a single MFPer who feels compelled to weigh low calorie vegetables over a long period of time. Anyone who is doing this that I know of is doing it because it is their genuine preference (I would fall into this camp) or they're doing it over a shorter period of time to ensure accuracy before moving to a strategy (estimating/not-logging low calorie vegetables) that meets their preferences.

• 77jml
    77jml Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm still debating whether or not to go back. I wouldn't be following the freestyle program though.
  • jrochest
    jrochest Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    amandaeve wrote: »
    I joined WW in 2006 after years and years of failed weight loss attempts. I sat in meetings surrounded by amazing, inspiring people who lost hundreds of pounds or were on their way. I lost 70 pounds "on program" and loved thinking about food in a more simple, quick way than counting calories. I advocated for that program wherever I went. I kept the weight off, too, And then I joined again recently (mostly just hoping to find like-minded fitness friends. I only had a few pounds I wanted to lose). The whole system had changed. Everything had gotten so complicated, rules for this, exceptions for that. You couldn't figure anything out without the app. Counting calories would be easier. I sat in meetings with despondent members who spent years on the program and were nowhere near their goal. It sounds like it's changed again, and is failing worse.

However. I succeeded when their whole premise was based around the filling effect of fiber. In recent years "carbs" have been so demonized they probably lost membership due to masses of people afraid to eat a carb. They are trying to keep up with the times while holding on to their design structure. I LOVED having "free" food. It saved me. I have a lot of hunger and grew up eating in volume. I literally ate 6 cups of vegetable soup a day for 6 months. It was "free" and it helped fill me up. I lost 2 pounds a week. No way I'd succeed eating 6 chicken breasts a day.

This is exactly my experience - well, I only had 50 pounds to lose, not 70, but I LOVED that old points program. It made it possible to eat anything you really wanted, as long as it fit and you counted it. And you learned how to eat a healthy, balanced basic meal plan. I lost, I got to goal, I maintained for years, and then circumstances shifted and by the time I went back to WW I'd gained 30 pounds. Points Plus was now the program and everyone in my WW meeting started losing and re-gaining the same 5 pounds, and then Smart Points made calories from 'bad foods' punatively expensive...so I kept going but lied about what I was eating. This last horribly stupid program got me to cancel my membership. They just keep F-ing with what was, originally, a good, supportive program.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    I never had any success on WW but I do love my WW food scale. I wonder if they will quit selling those?
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    bisky wrote: »
    I never had any success on WW but I do love my WW food scale. I wonder if they will quit selling those?

I love my ww digital food scale also. It is a big help for logging foods in the diary.