Let it GO! Decluttering (simplifying) your life of (people, places or things) success stories?

Replies

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    I am ashamed of my hoarding of clothes and now that I've read everyones remarks - it makes me feel less isolated. I began getting rid of stuff about 2 years ago but IT is difficult - because every dress/piece of china etc etc etc., has a memory attached. But YOU are ALL correct - it does weigh you down - and now that I know I'm not alone in my tendancy to clutter, I will push forward faster and more quickly than I have been doing. Thank you all for the insight.

W <3 W How very powerful and encouraging you are. Thank you ever so VERY much for posting this, you've inspired me something terrific and it makes me smile from ear to ear, knowing we're so NOT alone and getting stronger and stronger more and more each day. You ROCK, period. What you've contributed here is hugely motivating to/for me--BAM! <3o:)<3
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    edited December 2017
    Steff46 wrote: »
    I have donated boxes and boxes of my items this year (clothes, books, dishes, jewelry, etc.). I still have two things that hold me back on keeping my home decluttered.
    One, I'm really bad about going through a box of things and only getting rid of half of it then putting the box back in the same spot....so I really didn't get that box of stuff gone:( I'm working on this.
    Two, my other half is a clutter bug. We don't use our dinning room table anymore due to his mountain of stuff. We have two other bedrooms with his "stuff". He isn't to the point of being a hoarder but I give up. I used to go behind him and put stuff in it's place and then he claims he can't find anything and I just stopped being his maid. Don't get me wrong, I'm not on here bashing him I just can't figure out how to motivate him to keep his areas neater.

@Steff46 Can your cleaning of your shared areas still help? Try to focus on your own space for now. With the boxes, once you've tackled a lot of boxes, start a plan where you take two boxes, and turn them into one box of stuff. Just an idea. Warmest regards. x
  • Piqueaboo
    Piqueaboo Posts: 1,193 Member
    I watched another TED talk on decluttering and am inspired to do another sweep of the apartment now, when 2018 starts. Especially in light of moving to another city soon I want to have as few things as I can to make my life easier!
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2018
    beerfoamy wrote: »
    I love decluttering, and a mate made it even easier for me by suggesting that if I was really struggling to get rid of something I had found, to take a picture. I have a collage now of all my important memories from 'junk' and it takes up a document on my computer! W hen house is decluttered fully I am going to get it put onto a canvas or 2 and put them up in what used to be the junk room. Then I can see the things every day which is more than I used to do with the actual objects :D

Say what???!!!!???? "Take pictures of the "junk"?????? W <3 W and super duper BOOM!!!! Who'd thunk that--seriously, who'd da THUNK IT????? Man, this is like I just hit the decluttering lottery or something--YAY!!!!

{{{{ Big ole Hugs and the HIGHEST of fives to you beerfoamy }}}}}}. I have a huge perfume collection that the greater majority of which I've rarely if ever use(d). This has been the last "bastion" of excess stuff I have left from my decluttering odyssey/combat/adventure/quest/goal(s). Although the collection looks absolutely lovely--just gorgeous, it's simply tooooooo much >:) and it's been almost impossible for me to even think about parting with the majority of it, let alone some of it. Thanks to YOU, you fabulous person you, I can simply take pics of it and get rid of the greater majority of my dear collection--without so much as a whimper, eye-roll nor any such thing AT ALL--because it's just too much and I'm OVER living in/with excess in my life (inside/fat and outside too much "stuff").

Girl, seriously, mere words can NOT express how much I appreciate you posting here. You've really contributed something outstanding and mega helpful to me/us. Taking pictures of the beloved "stuff".....BAM!!!! That's the ticket, period.

{{{{{ <3Hugs and THANK you again and again~BOOM!!!! <3 }}}}}}

P.S. WOW...I LOVE this idea so much, so utterly simple and yet sooooo powerful, effective and with joy unspeakable, DOABLE--YAY! o:)<3o:)
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    edited January 2018
    ereck44 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen George Carlin's stand-up about owning houses just to store our "stuff"? I love this thread. I need to get rid of my stuff too. I have too much and it is so hard to let go.

Wow..."owning houses to store our stuff"--that's funny and deep at the same time! Ya know how as we are downsizing our bodies is making us look and feel sooooo much better? Well, believe me, getting rid of our excess junk ( thinking about the ole saying of "one person's "treasures" is another person's trash/junk"), ummm, "stuff" is just as amazing and satisfying as losing weight. I can't tell you how most excellent it is to no longer be "looking for keys, looking for the garlic powder, looking for my jacket, looking for other slipper, looking for (fill in the blank). Once you get started, it's sooooooo wonderful to have a place for everything and everything in it's place. No longer living in clutter (no matter how small) because living in/with excess stuff and clutter and mess is and can be so stifling and irritating. Living with less "stuff" is so much more calming and cozy and makes life so much easier and better quite frankly. Now when I'm talking about getting rid of excess stuff--I'm NOT talking about "perfection" or mania (ya know the dreaded "obessive/compulsive slavery type of thinking, doing and being) I'm referring to the type of decluttering and simplifying our homes and our living, just to be making our environments more simplified, more beautiful and just plan cool!

Thanks so much for posting!!!! <3o:)<3
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    The idea of taking photos of collections (such as perfume and artwork) is a brilliant one!

• NewLIFEstyle4ME
    Sherbog wrote: »
    When friends walk into my house they ask if I have it staged for selling. Am I moving in or moving out. LOL For several years now I have tried to minimize. Mostly as a gift to my two children so they have less work in case I should take a journey of no return. :) (Sounds better than die!) I also rid myself of toxic people who either were great enablers or sabotaged my diet plan. Surrounding myself with a weight group of people (TOPS) sure helps!

When people ask me out to lunch I suggest a walk or morning coffee meet up. I tell them I am addicted to food and if they would not mind I would rather walk and talk.

Your post just encouraged AND inspires me something terrific and makes me smile from ear to ear--you ROCK, period. Thank you ever so VERY much for posting!!!! <3o:)<3
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!