WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2013

Options

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    Hi All: Going to try to get my saddle cleaned today. I started on it but then other things came up and it is still sitting there waiting for me. Oh well I am unable to use it right now so it wasn't a rush job.

My husband took early retirement from teaching and the first five years drove me nuts. He did not look into it thoroughly and put us in a bad financial position that got worse each year until last year when he started drawing his SS. Now we are at a better place. But I am still working and when I come home and want a little peace and quiet after working with people all day, he wants to be "with me" and he wants lots of attention. I sometimes feel I am coming home to a 2-year-old. I really look forward to evenings he has meetings or something else going on so I get some alone time. He is more involved with Masons and church now so that helps but it took a while to reach this place. Not sure how it will be when I retire but that will be coming in less than a year, so we will see.

Everyone have an awesome week, stick to those goals. Sue in SD
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    yanniejanie- Hope there is a quick fix and no damage!

When my DH retired, he promised me he would get another job and continue working until I am able to retire. He was not happy for a long time while he was looking for something to do. He did get a job working full time at a job he loved until the government cut funding. Since then he has worked as a chef and now is working retail and teaching kayaking part time. He loves it! I have 4 more years to go, but at that time we may both want to do something part time. We will see. I used to look forward to the time I would be able to slow down. Now I look forward to a time when I will be able to try more new things. I don't want to rest- I want to experience new adventures!! I love the energy and selfconfidence my healthier lifestyle has given me.

Deb A in CNY
  • Suzy_in_DE
    Suzy_in_DE Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Everyone –

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Me and hubby went to the beach on Saturday, it was a beautiful day, not too hot with a slight breeze. I ate pretty well all day, but did not get my exercise in and didn’t reach my step goal that day. I made up for it yesterday, as I walked for 90 minutes yesterday and logged in 18,000 + steps. Sunday was busy running errands, but overall it was a good relaxing day as I was able to carve out some time to read.

:smile: Subzeromambo – it sounds like you had a wonderful time on your family reunion. I haven’t been to that part of the country but hear it is beautiful.
    :smile: Lucy – hope you have a great vacation and you have good weather.
    :smile: Pat (Phoo) – so sorry to hear about your family drama.
    :smile: Rhonda – thanks for your late night eating tips. I do many of those things too, it’s a challenge, but it really is about setting my mind to it.
    :smile: Janie – what a nice NSV your DH gave you.
    :smile: Liz – so sorry to hear about your sister. I have no siblings, so can only imagine how hard this must be for you.
    :smile: Rachel – welcome to the group, I have 4 cats and a fitbit.
    :smile: Gail – your wine dinner sounded fabulous, always wonderful to have good food and company.

Enjoy the week.
    Suzy
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello friends
    Nice to catch up with everyone and see what a nice weekend its been for most of us. Personally it was a hectic weekend and too many temptations. Attended the wedding of our friend's son. We had a mini reunion with couple of old old friends at the event. Glad to report avoided the breads and rice dishes and had just a small piece of sweetmeat. But the next day, sunday was devastating:sad: . We went out for lunch and dinner with friends from out of town and my sister and her husband from out of town. Over did dinner along with dessert:grumble: . Hope to make up for the weakness this week
    :bigsmile: Kalley1959 thanks for the tip,will use word to get me more organized

:bigsmile: jFenner141 great about your health…. Weight down and all else improving
    :bigsmile: rjadams wishing your husband great vision and how smart of you to get your steps in while u wait
    :bigsmile: katla49 that’s an awesome insight our online friends help us to be better in person, as we grow stronger within. Thanks for the tip on using the word document
    :happy: grandmallie yes its not a race but a lifestyle, we all would love to reach our goals soon, but we are all walking together so its much more fun knowing we r not alone
    :happy: megblair so even a visit to the vet is educational! Hope your pet recovers soon, sending you both lots of love. Its strange to know moms r the same anywhere u go……Hope u have a great time with your friends. Since you r making the snacks at home they will surely be worthwhile……
    :flowerforyou: Barbie your dance dedication is going to soon rub off on me….. my daughter who teaches contemporary dance has already been asked to find out more about line dancing
    :flowerforyou: jmkmomm great ride

:flowerforyou: exermom what a great workout
    :flowerforyou: phoo513 so glad to know u had a great day
    •:drinker: cityjaneLondo great news about the plank n the weight loss, bliss imagining your baby birds
    Trying the word doc today
    Love and hugs to all of you marvellous ladies
    Anamika from Mumbai ( India)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Hi there, just got 2 minutes while DH is riding around the house on a wooden trike, while DGS is on his scooter! Great fun is being had by all! He loved his T shirt with the flaps - one of the flaps is a Party Lorry! I think we would all like to join the dog and the cat on the party lorry! I hardly get a look in as DH is such a wonder with children so I do the things like feeding and watering and the online baby games. Such amazing things they have these days. Soon DS will be home so it will be bathtime.

Re retirement - we were lucky because when we decided to get married after 18 months of courting, we both decided to retire so we could spend quality time together. At that time we both wanted to travel and we did. It was good because it was a whole new life for us and we knew how lucky we were. It would not have been the same if we had been married 35 years!!!! It helps to not be short of money, I know. We have calmed down a bit now and enjoy our quiet life in Hampshire, but I still want to do some exploring and will do it on my own if DH decides his anxiety is too great. I think he is doing much better so I am hopeful we aren't finished yet. There are still a few places on my bucket list and I want to enjoy my new body and fitness!:drinker: I do think many men have a tendency to get stuck in their ways as they get older, much more than women, so DH will need some encouragement and some shoves, but I know I am lucky. We are best friends, though we have our moments! When we first met it took a while to get used to each other's 'funny little ways', as we were so much older, but we have shaken down to each other and count our blessings to have found each other at our time of life.

Enough soppiness! Bathtime is calling!

Love Heather, currently in North London, UK
  • Mollybesweet
    Mollybesweet Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies :heart: :flowerforyou:
    Just popping in for a moment.
    Am alive and checking in on everyone
    Hugs :heart: to ALL. :happy:
    Molly in cool WV
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday to all, just popping in to wish everyone a good week!

BJ
  • kpeck21085
    Options
    Hi, My name is Karen and I am a 57 years young. I have had weight issues since I was 45 years old, always thin before that. I enjoy food and wine entirely too much and it finally caught up with me. I like this board I am going to let it help me stay motivated this time around. My issue is that I do not excercise to manage the excess calories I take in. But I am going on a cruise in December and am very motivated to lose this weight.
  • KABH74
    KABH74 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have been inspired to challenge myself by all your posts. Did my first 2 min forearm plank. YEAH!. Hope to slowly increase.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Today is day 2 of my new strength training resolution. Today I timed the routine to see how it compared time-wise to what I had been doing before (I’ve kept a record in a little notebook) and it was approximately the same amount of time. I got very excited that I was holding the plank longer now than I was in April when I last did strength training, and then I realized that I was wearing heavier weights on my ankles before, so there’s really no comparison.

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, I get up very early a lot. Jake and I go to a meeting that starts at 7 AM so if I have to get up super early if I want to do all the dog walking that I do in the morning and have time for breakfast and my spiritual reading. When I have to get up early, I go to bed at 7:30 the night before. I love my early morning routine

:flowerforyou: Liz, thank you for the kind words…..I am fortunate that I don’t have a job outside my home or children to care for. Right now I have no friends or family members who need extra care or attention so I have a lot of time for myself.

:flowerforyou: Yanniejannie, give your body about four days to recover from unusual eating and don’t worry about what the scale says….what bad news about your feet….I haven’t worn high heels in over 10 years and now I know why.

:flowerforyou: Cindy, what a great adventure to start your day…..you have such positive upbeat attitude.

:flowerforyou: Deb, doing exercise first is a great idea…it’s so easy for it to get lost later in the day.

:flowerforyou: Katla, sometimes I wake up sore but because I have a plan for what I’m going to do, it doesn’t make any difference, I just keep moving and eventually all is well….I guess my advice, is ignore it and it will go away……act the way you want to feel.

:flowerforyou: My husband retired less than a year after I did…..I love having him home…..but when my father retired, my mother got a job because it drove her crazy having him underfoot when she was trying to get things done.

:flowerforyou: Suzy, congrats on your 18,000 steps

:flowerforyou: Anamika, line dance is international…way beyond North America…does your daughter live near you?

:flowerforyou: Karen, welcome…..I hope you will keep coming back so we can get to know you better….you will find lots of ideas about exercise here.

:bigsmile: KABH, congrats on the 2 minute plank………have you thought about joining our strength training challenge?

:bigsmile: Gotta walk the dogs again and then head out to work in the yard some more.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

“If it’s important to you then you will find a way, if it’s not you’ll find an excuse.”

1461351h0otf8hco5.gif

2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif2157045gp85zev8ri.gif
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,
    It has been a crazy weekend. DH had Lasik done on Friday and he is having some trouble adjusting. We have been busy getting ready for the Alaska trip and then on Sunday the Freezer in the garage died. Lots of thawing food I had to try to fit into my other freezers. They are stuffed to the gills. I have a new one coming on Wednesday.

I am still so happy with work and it has translated into my happiness and ability to deal with things like the freezer. Everything is good. I am also down 3 pounds since I started tracking again.

I hope you all have an awesome day.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My aches and pains are a lot worse. i sure am glad since my pantry is getting low.

Sandy I hate the feeling of feeling invisisble. I have been known when I have that feeling to just stand there, go to the counter, etc and just yell out 'is anyone working with new customers?" With that some times I even get a manager which gives me a discount, store credit or something nice. I'm not going to leave a store feeling invisible. MS has taken so much from me, it's not going to make me feel invivsible also.

Joyce
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies, on the subject of retiring this month marks 14 yrs that my DH is retired, he was lucky to be with a company that after 30 yrs he could leave with a decent pension and benifits, so he took it and we haven't looked back, does get under my feet at times nd not everyday goes as planned but its been good. More time with grandkids and trying things we had no time for before. Not into travelling niether one of us have ever been good travellers, but we do lots of day trips that are fun.
    Well back to the outside today is weeding and lawn cutting. Good workout.

Take care and wishing everyone a pleasant day

Juanita in sudbury
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Helloooo...I am back and back to tracking. Will post some more at a later date. Just wanted to make sure I get on the thread.

:heart: Rebel

Vancouver Island, BC.
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Genealace: I can't kneel either - two knee replacements. My physical therapist showed me a seated plank that works well for me. Sit on the edge of a bench (or chair) with feet planted firmly on the ground and lean back, keeping your back as flat as possible. Hold it for as long as you can. I generally hold it for 75-80 seconds, sit back up for about 45 seconds, then do another. I do 5 planks for a set. You can also do this on a ball if you have one. You can bring each arm up in front of you till it's over your head, one at a time while you are holding the plank. I'm hoping to start doing this with some hand weights soon.

We are off to a tapas/wine dinner this evening. Really happy it's tapas, so the portions should be fairly reasonable!

Jill in western Mass
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Hello, Ladies- It was good to find the board again!

Well, the bad family news just keeps coming. I found out yesterday that my brother (the one we almost lost last summer) is back in the hospital. Because he has been using catheters 1X each day, he finally ended up with an infection. Because of his history of illness, everytime he runs a fever they throw him into a bed and start IV antibiotics. I talked to him this morning, and he sounds strong and healthy, so I am not flying up there. The urge to do so was very strong last night. I felt awful not being there. And, because of all the trouble w/ my sister, I stewed and worried about how the rest of the family was going to respond if I did not go. I tell you, I just really am at the end of my rope.
    I did go to my first full Al-Anon meeting today. They were wonderfully welcoming. I now have their version of the Big Book, and another list of phone numbers, so I am feeling a little better about letting go of some of the urge to go home and 'fix things'!
    Of course, immediately after the meeting, I had to go to the drugstore and get meds, and right there next to the counter hangs the candy! Yes, I did............ I bought Weight Watchers pecan candies. At least, they are WW. :embarassed:
    Gail- It sounds like the wine/dinner was wonderful! DH is a keeper; I would have loved the scallops, too! BTW, to answer the question from a few days ago, I am a "screechy" soprano, as my SO says. He has a wonderful baritone voice and often complains that we sopranos 'hurt his ears'. He is lucky we let him live through the choir rehearsals!

Michele- I think planning for rain in your area is a very wise idea! Every time I look at a weather map, that green blob is headed your way. You are also right about the sawdust. Is there any way to close off that part of the house while he works?
    A PLANK for almost 3 minutes! Wow! You get the blue ribbon...... like I said, I am lucky if I can hold it for 20 seconds!

Joyce- I do understand the put-downs and evil from ex-husbands. Mine wouldn't 'let' me drive, grocery shop, or even decide what to buy the kids for Christmas. Enjoy the hubby you have now, you deserve someone wonderful. The after-effects of an abusive mate are terrible, but there are ways to deal with all of the garbage, I hope you and your kids have left all of the garbage behind.

Grandmallie and Cindy- Congratulations on the weight loss! :flowerforyou:

Cindy- That sounds like a whole lot of calories burned! The only time I have locked myself out of the house, I was absolutely panicked because my 2 and 3 year olds were IN the house! (I had gone down to get the mail) Absolute Panic! Glad you got back in the house.

YannieJannie- Welcome Back! Flooded kitchen? That certainly isn't much fun. Hope it is a cheap and easy fix!

Heather- I hope you have pictures of hubby on the wooden trike!

Molly- Hello! Is that part of a handmade card in your thumbnail picture?

Jill- Thanks for reminding me about the seated plank, I really hate kneeling on my artificial knee because it is such an awful sensation. It just isn't a normal pain, is it.

As I read and type, I am listening to the new Hugh Laurie jazz/blues album. If you like blues, it is awesome. If you do not like blues, it is probably pretty dark and depressing. It is certainly a different side of "Dr House".
    Ok- Ladies- I am off to do something- anything- just to feel like I did something besides sit on the computer all day!

Have a great afternoon!
    Pat (Phoo in Az)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.A question-what is a plank?
    Got the van done and washer fixed.Under 200 today.Yah.
    Let`s hope that is it for awhile.
    HUGS
    jane
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    Happy mon.A question-what is a plank?
    Got the van done and washer fixed.Under 200 today.Yah.
    Let`s hope that is it for awhile.
    HUGS
    jane

:bigsmile: Jane, here is a link to a video that shows a plank

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFGXIMoArw4

you lie on the floor (or a mat) on your forearms and toes with your back flat and see how long you can hold the position. Most people start with 10 seconds and then increase the time the next time
  • salmon0
    salmon0 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello Fab Ladies,

It’s been a very busy weekend and I fell of the food wagon while scarfing down all the things I’m not supposed to eat. (OH the heck I going to get from my cardiologist and dietitian) Tried to log but I’m sure there is a lot I have forgotten, that my story and I’m sticking to it…..
    It’s the end of summer festival season here is a busy one, there are 2 or 3 large festivals taking place on the same weekend. So much to see, do and eat and not enough time to do it all.
    This past weekend there was a Caribbean Festival with a parade, Folk Music Festival, and Rock Music Festival. I attended the Caribbean Festival parade on Saturday afternoon with my sister and the Folk Music Festival on Friday night with some friends. What a blast they both were.

I’ve missed a few days of posting and I’m trying to catch up on all of you, so here goes:

Svsl0928 – Congratulation on achieving your July goals. Good luck with August.

DeeDee – glad to hear no fracture in your foot. Hope you had fun on your shopping trip, even though it might be only a lipstick. Any time sent with friends is good for the soul. (Later) Thanks for the explanation of bossing the guys.

Darla and melfitnesspal - Hope you both had great Saturdays.

Katla – Good luck on your meeting. (Later) Hope you and DH had fun riding your trikes.

Megblair1 – Have fun gardening, I always find that so relaxing when I am getting my hands dirty. I tend to lose track of time.

Janemartin02 – Congratulations on your steps, keep it up.

Janie – I’m with you on the “Buzz words”, Good luck with the revisions. Waiting to review the next day is a good idea. Congratulations on your Plank.

Joyce - Great idea to stick with cardio and barbell, whatever works for you is always good. (Later) Glad to hear that you and your sister are working as accountability partners at the diet. It always helps to have someone beside you for support. (Much Later) Glad you reconsidered and decided to stay.

edraper70 – Congratulations on your 20 second plank, keep it up.

Vicki – By giving away those shirts you might be losing dear friends but what a way to step out of your comfort zone and get to know the new you. You can look at it this way you have now made the commitment never to go back. Congratulations!! Will keep positive thoughts for Lee on Tuesday when she has her biopsy.

Grandmallie – Whew…… am I tired and you did the errands. All those veggies sound perfect since I indulged in some unhealthy food over the weekend. Congratulation on your food choices and the 15,000 steps, keep it up. Good news on the fit bit.

Michele – too bad about the corn, dinner sound delicious.

KMMRN - thanks for the recipe and Welcome.
    yanniejannie – Welcome back.

Heather – I love reading your post as I have a DB who lives in Essex and don’t get to see very often.
    Your post takes me on a short trip. Thanks.

Barbie – WTG, Starting back on the strength training.

genealace - Happy you were able to fix the error on your last lace piece, it must be beautiful. Please post some pictures so we can all admire your work.

Pat (Phoo) – Glad you made it to the Al-Anon meeting and left with lots of information and the feeling of belonging. They are a very welcoming bunch. Good Luck. Isn’t it amazing what successful weed farmers rain makes of us.

Terri – Sounds like you are well on your way to achieving your goals. Keep it up.

Gail - the meals on your weeks menu sound wonderful and you have given me a new addition to my meals. I will have to revive my eggplant parmesan recipe. That dinner out is very elegant, will you celebrating anything special? (Later) Friendships are the best occasion to celebrate. WTG getting your 10,000 steps in before dinner.

Sue - Congratulations on starting the exercise challenge.

Juanita – Congratulations on meeting some of your goals, the rest will come with perseverance.

Sandy – Happy the new scale proved its worth and is staying. Congratulations on walking 1 mile without stopping. It’s a shame you couldn’t get service while shopping for running shoes, if that is the type of service they provide first speak with the store manager, then try Winners if there is one in your town I have found excellent walking/running shoes there and the service was the same. The Trial at the Y is a great idea and the price is right.

Welcome to all the newcomers - joannekemp505, computa_cat55, Scampydoo2, 56pickupstick, KMMRN, Amy (amysant), Mary,(mbf60), Trish CT. Hope I haven’t missed any one.

Whew now to catch up on Monday. Hope you all have a lovely day and are able to complete your goals.

Sonja in Big Sky Country - Northern Alberta
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for letting me know you sometimes wake up sore. It is comforting to know I’m not the only one.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: Good for you, demanding the service you deserve. A person sometimes has to stand up for herself.:flowerforyou:

Juanita: we haven’t been travelers either, but DD and her family live over 1100 miles away, so were becoming travelers. I’m learning to like it, and DH is coping.:ohwell:

Rebel Renny: WELCOME BACK! You’ve been missed.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I had a life lesson this morning, and I can’t decide if I’m still mad. Yup, I’m still mad. :mad: :explode: I wanted to buy a bouquet for DDIL’s birthday and went online to find a florist in her area. I ended up with a place called Flower Delivery Express, and I am NOT happy with them. After taking my card information they told me about additional charges that were not mentioned before, and by the way she’d already submitted my order and billed me, and couldn’t do anything about it. :angry: I was still talking to her! :mad: She had me call into another number, where I was asked to leave a message. :mad: :mad: Can’t you just see my rage going up? I eventually called back and talked to someone who cancelled the order and claims to have refunded my money. DH will monitor our account to be sure that actually happens. Then I called a local florist and ordered the same arrangement for $25-30 less. I’m putting my check card away and using a credit card from now on. You have more protection. And you can believe I won’t be ordering from Flower Delivery Express or companies like them:noway:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

August goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Move more.
    3. Drink at least 2 glasses of water daily.