Why Do People at th Gym never look around?

Options

Replies

• bubblygoldfish
    bubblygoldfish Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't look around because I don't want to see how many creepers are looking... I work out on military bases though: there's a crap ton of guys in every gym. Especially the weight rooms! I get frustrated walking to the pullup bars, so i just keep my head forward and ignore the fact that i am surrounded by guys who oogle.

Oh I would soooo not get any working out done on a military base gym. I once visited my friend on a base and every morning, I would sit out on the front porch and watch the guys PT on the field across the street. Absolute bliss.

HAHAHA! I thought so too! That is until you see them after day 4 in the field... without showers. Ugh, really gross smelling. It's hard to get that picture out of my head.
  • Amor
    Amor Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Whhhhhat? I ALWAY look around. I'm checking out people's clothes, their shoes, what workout they're doing, taking inventory of how many machines are open and what I should get onto next. Plus the guys that strut around like Peacocks... I don't even try to hide it. They want the attention, I don't like watching the TVs.

However, I'm not judging, I'm just checkin' people out lol.
    I don't care who you are, you're in there working hard and getting a sweat on, you should be proud of that cause it's pretty awesome. Guy, girl, old, young, if they're guttin it out I make sure to give them a nod & half cocked smile like, "yeah, get it". Hahaha

Shamelessssss
  • T0FatToB3S1ck
    T0FatToB3S1ck Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Ha I always look. I'm that creepy chick. If I see you looking, I WILL make eye contact with you until you look away. It makes me giggle.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Is there a code? Are you not allowed to sneak a peak....I always look. I can't help it if a guy has a nice smile and I toned...Your thoughts on gym etiquette?

I DO look around. And as long as you aren't creepy about it, I don't mind if you look at me too.

I've been going to the same gym at the same time for about 18 months now, so I see the same people on a regular basis. The benefit of this is that people notice that my body has begun to change, and they approach me to TELL me how awesome I am looking :D In the last month I have had at least 2 people approach me to tell me I look great, and that they have noticed that I am busting butt at my workout.

A few months ago I caught an older lady watching me as I used the cable cross machine...she didn't know how to use it and was afraid to ask the hot trainer for help. I gave her a few hints, and told her about the free intro class the trainer does several times a week. To this day she still stops and says hi to me on a regular basis! Another time a lady came over and apologized for staring at me while I was on the assisted pull up machine ( I hadn't even noticed...) but she wanted to be able to do it some day. I ended up teaching her how to use it.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Well, first of all, let me start of by saying my stats are about 6'0 120 lbs. Pathetic. I know. I've been like this for all my life, a walking stick. Well, I've decided enough is enough, and said I'm going to join a gym.
    Well I was terrified, A skinny piece of crap like me entering a gym, everyone's going to laugh, point, and kick me out, but I just told myself, remember all the people who ever made fun of you through out life, it can't get any worse then that, and use that as motivation. So I did.

I entered the gym and my freakin legs were shaking, no joke. I have a routine that I am going to use, but today I said I'm just going to go in there and get a feel for the place, try a few excericises and gtfo. Well I walk in there, and I just see a bunch of bikes and treadmills, then the weights behind them, I was about to throw up i was so nervous, so I just jumped on the first treadmill in front of me. I turned it on, and watched the lifters.

F, these guys were HUGE. I mean MASSIVE, I said no way in HELLO am I going to go in there, so I got off the machine, and started to walk towards the door then stopped myself, I said no way, I came this far, and I'm sure they wont' really care. So I mustered enough courage, walked over there nervous as hek, and just walked straight to the curl rack.

There was an average guy next to me curling, I don't know looked about 30 lbs, so I figured I can probably do 20, so I try to pick up the 20's. AND I COULDN'T. The guy next to me was staring at me, and told me "Try something else" then points at these pink ones on the floor. Apparently his friend behind him was watching and started laughing. So I turned around and I wanted to say something, but I just couldn't, I pick up the pink dumbbells and start curling. Well his friend starts making smart remarks like "WHOA THIS GUY IS A BEAST" "AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHNOOOOOLLLD" and other things. I swear, I was getting so angry, I started to get a flashback of all the people who ever made fun of me in my life, one by one, and his voice in the background. I was steaming, all of a sudden i turn around out of sheer anger, it was as if I blacked out,and fling the pink dumbbell in his face. BAM, I HIT HIM. Then I realized, OMG DID I JUST DO THAT??!

He yells out WTF, then he pushes me against the rack, and him and his 2 friends surround me thats when I realised these were a couple of guys who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighborhood. I got in one little fight and my mom got scared and she said "You're movin' wth your auntie and uncle in Bel-air". I whistled for a cab and when it came near the licence said "FRESH" and it had dice in the mirror but anyway I could say that this cab was rare but I thought nah forget "YO HOLMES TO BEL-AIR!" I pulled up to the house about 7 or 8 and I yelled to the cabbie "Yo holmes smell ya later!" Looked at my kingdom I was finally there to sit on my throne as the prince of Bel-air
    Gosh, the fact that I understand the reference makes me feel old...

On a separate note Will Smith has bulked up nicely, because he had that movie role as Ali...
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I look at everyone. Guys with good physiques and every hot girl. /shrug
  • jdm_taco
    jdm_taco Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Would stare at your traps in total jealously...not gonna lie
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Just not interested
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Everybody stares. They just get really good at looking away really quickly.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I look around a little, that's how I pick up new ideas for strength work outs. Aside from that, I'm focused on what I am doing, and I probably look angry lol! I frown a lot at the gym, I don't want anyone talking to me, this is my time, not theirs!
  • joe_madre
    joe_madre Posts: 693
    Options
    tumblr_mdw5dleFqO1rwcc6bo1_250.gif

Because I'm busy
  • cst573
    cst573 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Anyone who says they don't check out other people at the gym are lying.

You are 100% right!

I go to the gym to workout just like everyone else. I don't put my blinders on in between sets, but I don't stare either.
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I save my people watching for at the park. When I have my sunglasses on. And noone knows I am staring.....
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i thought thats why we took breaks between sets.
  • Factory_Reset
    Factory_Reset Posts: 1,651 Member
    Options
    I only look around when I'm doing a two person ab routine

but it's just in the mirror
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    i thought thats why we took breaks between sets.

Truth
  • AngelsFan91106
    AngelsFan91106 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    When a dude (or gal) squats ATG, I look. Otherwise, nah.
  • KenosFeoh
    KenosFeoh Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Sometimes a person would catch my eye, but for the most part I didn't care what anybody else was doing. I only cared what I was doing.
  • DS4725
    DS4725 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've noticed people do look around but they wait until you're working out and have your back turned. I've seen them in the window reflections. I try not to make eye contact at my gym because my shyness makes me uncomfortable if they start trying to chat. I hate that too because I bet the gym would be a great place to meet others with the same goals.
  • leighCJLourens
    leighCJLourens Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I don't look in case I accidently lock eye's with someone who happens to be snooping around the gym. That awkward moment when we're both caught out!