"Stay away from dairy"

Options
so when i recently talked to a doc about my anxiety, he said it would be best to limit your dairy intake. i forgot to ask why but i wondered why.

is dairy bad for you? i mean i would think drinking milk can only help and not hurt you. of course unless you are lactose tolerant.

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    People with anxiety often say their symptoms worsen after consuming dairy. That's likely the reason for the advise.
  • amelisegb
    amelisegb Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Hi Raven, I did some googling and I haven't found anything (freely accessible) to back up the dairy-anxiety connection.

The closest thing I found was in this peer reviewed paper about dairy products and their effects on humans.: http://advances.nutrition.org/content/5/2/131.full

It references a study that found evidence of the alleged dairy-anxiety link:

Quote from section on Cognitive Function: "[In a study with] ~1000 Australian adults... regular-fat dairy was associated with increased stress, anxiety, cognitive decline, and worse memory. Of note, this study was performed by using questionnaires and not ad hoc tests."

From my interpretation, the authors of the linked paper did not think that the anxiety-dairy connection was conclusive, and had issues with how the study was performed in general.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I have anxiety, depression, and two autoimmune disorders....they will pry my dairy from my cold dead hands. If there's a correlation, I'll be happy to take a pill (or suffer) with my chocolate milk and cheese sticks.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I have anxiety, depression, and two autoimmune disorders....they will try my dairy from my cold dead hands. If there's a correlation, I'll be happy to take a pill (or suffer) with my chocolate milk and cheese sticks.

This, except only one autoimmune disorder.

Given that I've actually increased my dairy consumption quite a bit over the past year, with none of those issues having a corresponding increase, I'm skeptical.
  • Havanaohlala
    Havanaohlala Posts: 52 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Since I added dairy back to my diet (5 years completely off dairy), I have much better skin and my life quality is SO SO SO much better. I eat a lot of cheese, yoghurts, etc besides the normal milk for drinking. So... It depends. I had a bit of acne and thought dairy is a NO NO, but since I eat loads of it I have a skin that is so pure and with a nice tone, no redness, nothing. I dont even need make up to look perfect, I get compliments very often on how great my skin is.

I also feel calmer. But maybe cause my skin is just great now. I am low carb.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've never heard of dairy causing anxiety, but I guess you could say I feel increased anxiety after consuming milk, but only because it gives me the gurgles (bloating, gas, queasiness, etc.) I have emetophobia, so feeling ill makes me very anxious. Aged cheeses don't bother me, so I still eat them.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,051 Member
    Options
    Anna I'm sure vegans avoid dairy - but this thread really isnt about ethical decisions around foods
    OP's question is not about that at all.

and nobody said avoiding it, if you want to or medically need to, is a problem.