"Stay away from dairy"

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,998 Member
    Options
    Warning: My opinion is based on things I've learned in holistic nutrition school, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Dairy is said to be "bad" for you because cows naturally release a lot of hormones in their milk during pregnancy. These hormones (estrogen and progesterone) eventually end up in a person's bloodstream when they consume it. Since our environment is already loaded with tons of xenoestrogens, we actually want to avoid more going into our body to lower the risk of hormone imbalances and eventual problems down the road. Another important thing to note is the fact that most dairy has synthetic hormones added to it ON TOP of the naturally occuring hormones, which isn't that great for endocrine and reproductive health. If you still want a little dairy in your life, raw is the best if it's available in your city. Organic sheeps or goats milk isn't harmful on occasion either.

I'm not a dairy farmer, but I'm pretty sure cows give milk after they give birth, not while they're pregnant (OK, maybe if they get pregnant again while they still have an unweaned calf -- but I don't think that's the way they run things in dairy farming).
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    raven56706 wrote: »
    sheesh... i didnt mean to make this about my anxiety. I think havanaohalala is strong with anxiety. More power to her as well. *kitten* i wish i was like that.

For me i was thrown in a whirlwind with vertigo which i thought i was dying. I developed the anxiety disorder. It was horrible. After years of medication, i got my life back. But then i gained weight. I gained 30lbs from the 50 i lost back 3 years ago. the meds helped me gain the weight. Wasnt the only reason but certainly was one of the reasons. So i came off of it this past year slowly only for me to go back on.

Some people dont know how this works and how hard it is to fight your mind. Makes you think things are happening and they arent even real. I mean mind you i dont have it as bad as others so i cant complain. But it is a struggle.

Its fine peeps. Mind you i only asked as i was curious just on the dairy thing as i never heard it before. hahahah. No worries peeps. i appreciate all the words here.

Was this a new doctor, or one who was familiar with your history? Did you describe your anxiety symptoms to the doctor just in physical terms, or did you make clear that you were having emotional/psychiatric symptoms? I'm just wondering if the doctor maybe wasn't so much saying "stop consuming dairy to fix your anxiety" and "try cutting out dairy to see if it will resolve these physical symptoms."
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I'm just wondering if the doctor maybe wasn't so much saying "stop consuming dairy to fix your anxiety" and "try cutting out dairy to see if it will resolve these physical symptoms."

And why not? Where is the harm in giving it a try. If there is no change after a suitable period of being dairy free then add dairy back and no harm, no foul. But what if it does help? No way to really know except to give it a go.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Not a spoiler...but ... if you've seen the movie you know.

aNzRM20_460s.jpg
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Warning: My opinion is based on things I've learned in holistic nutrition school, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Dairy is said to be "bad" for you because cows naturally release a lot of hormones in their milk during pregnancy. These hormones (estrogen and progesterone) eventually end up in a person's bloodstream when they consume it. Since our environment is already loaded with tons of xenoestrogens, we actually want to avoid more going into our body to lower the risk of hormone imbalances and eventual problems down the road. Another important thing to note is the fact that most dairy has synthetic hormones added to it ON TOP of the naturally occuring hormones, which isn't that great for endocrine and reproductive health. If you still want a little dairy in your life, raw is the best if it's available in your city. Organic sheeps or goats milk isn't harmful on occasion either.

I'm not a dairy farmer, but I'm pretty sure cows give milk after they give birth, not while they're pregnant (OK, maybe if they get pregnant again while they still have an unweaned calf -- but I don't think that's the way they run things in dairy farming).

Its dairy. They give birth, never nurse their own babies, go directly to producing milk for us, and when they cycle they are bred again. Like humans, they can still produce milk while pregnant as long as there is a demand and they are eating enough calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    nxvi wrote: »
    Dairy is full of hormones to grow a small baby calf into a huge, monstrosity of a cow. It is full of pus, and most dairy cows are anxious and are treated awfully.
    You are what you eat, and it makes complete sense that one could be anxious after consuming dairy.
    Dairy is scary and it increases your risk for various types of cancer, as well.

So what do you put on your cereal? Or do you use some soy or other milk?

(although, I am logging out and don't really care about the answer, since we've beat this dead horse a thousand times already.)
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    I'm just wondering if the doctor maybe wasn't so much saying "stop consuming dairy to fix your anxiety" and "try cutting out dairy to see if it will resolve these physical symptoms."

And why not? Where is the harm in giving it a try. If there is no change after a suitable period of being dairy free then add dairy back and no harm, no foul. But what if it does help? No way to really know except to give it a go.

That was so not the point of my post.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Its dairy. They give birth, never nurse their own babies, go directly to producing milk for us, and when they cycle they are bred again. Like humans, they can still produce milk while pregnant as long as there is a demand and they are eating enough calories.

Whose dairy?

And if they can still produce milk while pregnant, why bother breeding them again (yes, breed some of the best milkers to produce the next generation, but you don't need to breed all of them constantly, stealing calories from milk production for calf production).
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    . Anxiety? Everybody has it. Just focus on your life and accept the fact that it is meant to be tough, you just have to get stronger on all levels. ...

Yes and stop being depressed, everybody is sad sometimes, just toughen up and be happy :s:s

I am not aware of any links between dairy and anxiety - but to trivialise actual medical issues like anxiety to 'Just get stronger' is really poor.

My guess OP is that you were presenting with some symptoms like butterflies in stomach ,nausea, diahhroea etc - which can well be part of anxiety but are also common symptoms of lactose intolerance - perhaps Dr is suggesting cutting dairy to see if such symptoms improved and if you also have mild lactose intolerance??

That was my thought too. If he is having stomach issues with anxiety, staying away from milk might be an attempt make the stomach issues less severe.
  • ashu0015
    ashu0015 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Just limit Dairy for 1-2 months and try to switch again to normal consumption afterwards. I am also lactose intolerant , but with time my resistance improved and now I can easily consume milk 2-3 cups. Find the tolerance level ,but since doctor suggested just listen to him for few months.