The Origin and Meaning of "Woo"

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options
    It never would have occurred to me that Woo was anything other than a negative. If they had wanted to put woohoo, they would have made that the button. I’m just sitting here in shock, still, that there are people who might think their posts are being cheered when they receive a “woo” response. <smh>

I have seen it used as encouragement. In fact, I've seen it used about 50/50 encouragement vs. discouragement.

A few times I wondered why on earth I got a "Woo" when I said something like, "I went for a long walk today" ... and then it dawned on me that it was the encouraging "Woo", and I've seen it used for things like that on many other occasions.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    just as FYI, if a post get 5 'woo' votes it gets hidden from the thread... oooooooooooooooooh....

Oooh look at you with all your ninja info skills..
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    just as FYI, if a post get 5 'woo' votes it gets hidden from the thread... oooooooooooooooooh....

Oooh look at you with all your ninja info skills..

:bigsmile:
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options

I am enlightened, thanks as thats another new fact for me :smiley:
  • Rickster1967
    Rickster1967 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    All the woo has gone, I have zero woo notifications now
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun you’d think it would be a good thing, but I hate having that title show. It makes me stand out and it makes me feel like I should always watch my tongue. I don’t want to be a snowflake. Waaa... :)

here have a hug, and that's rich from me whos not really a hugger :smiley:
    I'm sure noone will hardly notice it....I'm maybe just one of those sorts that do...sorry! :blush:
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun you’d think it would be a good thing, but I hate having that title show. It makes me stand out and it makes me feel like I should always watch my tongue. I don’t want to be a snowflake. Waaa... :)

Now you went and made another button called WAAAA :D:D
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    pogiguy05 wrote: »

Now you went and made another button called WAAAA :D:D

hey that's not a bad idea ...I like the idea of WAAAAA
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

here have a hug, and that's rich from me whos not really a hugger :smiley:
    I'm sure noone will hardly notice it....I'm maybe just one of those sorts that do...sorry! :blush:

Now all my awesomes have turned into hugs.

9.2K awesomes felt like something to be proud of.
    9.2K hugs makes me feel a bit promiscuous.

And did a lot of people request "hug"? There are very few posts I can think of where I would want to "hug" the poster. Why not just keep the same positive reactions and update woo to the singular definition with updated emoji?

You hug *kitten* lol
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I approve of the change. I just started using the boards and it was confusing. Now it's not.
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    Options
    Also the people who would probably request the hugs are the huggers in the success stories and motivational thread
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,506 Member
    Options
    Note to self, start zapping as many spam posts as possible :smiley: I wanna be an MFP Greeter :smile: and I have never even taken more than a few days hiatus from here since 2012...that has to count for something :smile:
    You can request it. Email the staff.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Also the people who would probably request the hugs are the huggers in the success stories and motivational thread

i don't mind it for that - i just think it was silly to swap the points over.