The Origin and Meaning of "Woo"

Options

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Wasn't the *kitten* just an Aprils Fools prank that stuck for swear words?

i thought so, yes
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    It's kinda funny when you inspect the code of the website, some buttons have two names.

"Insightful" is just referred to as the one name.

"Inspiring" is also tagged as "Agree".

"Like" just has one name.

"Woo" is also tagged as "WTF".

And "Hug" is also tagged "Awesome".

I personally think WTF would be waaaay better than Woo! And I miss Awesome. :(

i inspiring....
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    It's kinda funny when you inspect the code of the website, some buttons have two names.

i inspiring....

I'd give you an Awesome if I could.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Yeah ... I preferred Awesome to Hug. Or maybe replace Hug with Congrats! Or Well Done!

Isn't "hug" for when someone is feeling bad? Whether in a genuinely felt or sarcastic ("Aww, need a cookie?") way?

And I agree with those saying they would not have imagined "woo" meaning anything other than baloney, broscience, oh please, tin foil hat & crystals, etc.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    While I very much appreciate the disambiguation of the woo button, I am really missing awesome. I really like some of you, but there are very few of you I'd hug.

Hug is an emotional response. Hug is "cheer up, that's nice". Awesome is "you rock, kick *kitten*, super". Not the same.

Agreed.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    CyberTone wrote: »

MFP software coders have modified the vendor's Vanilla Forums (VF) software. The original VF software code and graphic images still appear in the XML code for the ones MFP has changed.

MFP chose VF's "WTF" reaction and its image icon and changed the display text (except for underlying code) to replace the old MFP "Woo." Since it is a brand new reaction for MFP, every user starts out with zero new "Woo" totals. The old MFP "Woo" reaction used the original VF "LoL" reaction and its laughing image. I would imagine that "LoL" could be re-purposed in the future.

Since MFP already used VF's "Awesome" reaction for "Awesome," when MFP changed it to "Hugs" all the existing number of "Awesome" totals just display now as "Hug" totals.

I also read that MFP is going to implement "badges" in the future. I do not know much about those yet.

Fascinating!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Yeah ... I preferred Awesome to Hug. Or maybe replace Hug with Congrats! Or Well Done!

Isn't "hug" for when someone is feeling bad? Whether in a genuinely felt or sarcastic ("Aww, need a cookie?") way?

And I agree with those saying they would not have imagined "woo" meaning anything other than baloney, broscience, oh please, tin foil hat & crystals, etc.

nooooooooooooooo, don't start placing negative connotations on the hug....

Need a hug?
  • HellYeahItsKriss
    HellYeahItsKriss Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I found this.. it's not really the same.. but..

Meh..

b6muv9mj5k7k.gif
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @RunRutheeRun, re desegnations after names.
    Have you noticed @CyberTone has none!
    Now that is special.

Ooh, I was going to post early this morning on my way too bed about the badges but I was too tired to spell correctly.
    I am not a badges person, heck I am not even much of a points person, so not really looking forward to them. I hope thy are just a hidden personal collection.

Maybe the badges will be used as something like the 'verified' in the food data base. Over 5000 positive points and you get a star next to your name to show you are a trusted poster; 1000 woos and you get a black dot to show you are full of 'kitten'.

Cheers, h.