Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Jack Lalanne's Advice

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    saintor1 wrote: »
    "Salad and cooking oils"? I think that the listing in the 6thgraph is really too short... Where is fat from Cheese and meat.

The graph suggests that dairy and meat have stayed pretty constant over the period being examined.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    "Salad and cooking oils"? I think that the listing in the 6thgraph is really too short... Where is fat from Cheese and meat.

Look at the graphs again. They are in their own categories.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    LaLanne was a very vocal "clean eating" proponent. Probably to the point of being orthorexic, although I doubt that was recognized as a thing back then.

To be honest, don't think orthorexic is really a "thing" now. Pretty much the same status as people who compulsively eat too much sugar and say they can't reduce or stop. BTW, IMO sugar addiction is a bunch of crap. People may eat too many sugar laden foods and have bad health outcomes but no physical addiction. Similar to the situation in people with orthorexia.

https://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/orthorexia-nervosa

Orthorexia nervosa is not currently recognized as a clinical diagnosis in the DSM-5, but many people struggle with symptoms associated with this term.

Those who have an “unhealthy obsession” with otherwise healthy eating may be suffering from “orthorexia nervosa,” a term which literally means “fixation on righteous eating.”

I have known people who limit their lives so that they can stick to their diet of choice -- they don't travel because they can't be assured of organic food the whole time or they don't socialize because they can't control the food they will encounter. I don't know if it needs a fancy name, but to the extent that it keeps them from living their best well-rounded life, I would consider it to be a problem.

Yeah, we want to make good choices, but there is a point of diminishing returns. If you aren't going to visit your grandparents because of the food options in their town, it's a good time to access and see if your diet is driving your happiness and health or if you're just making a fetish of the whole thing.

We had a lady that worked for our company whose job required traveling and she would not travel anywhere unless she was sure there were organic stores/restaurants in the area. While I thought that seemed a little crazy she was actually a very happy and sweet person. It wasn't a problem to her.

I think you can be happy and sweet while dealing with something that limits your life. They don't cancel each other out. I know happy and sweet people who do things like avoid air travel or movie theaters due to anxiety. I wouldn't insist that they seek treatment for this (it's their business), but would they be happier with wider options for travel or entertainment?

Air travel or group entertainments aren't essential for a happy life, but if you're avoiding them due to anxiety I think that it could contribute to a fuller life if addressed.

Same with travelling for work. We don't have to do it in order to be happy, but if food is the only reason you're limiting your career that way -- well, it's a limit on your full potential.

(I say this as someone with anxieties that do limit my full potential range of activities, something I'm working on. That probably colors my perspective here).
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    LaLanne was a very vocal "clean eating" proponent. Probably to the point of being orthorexic, although I doubt that was recognized as a thing back then.

To be honest, don't think orthorexic is really a "thing" now. Pretty much the same status as people who compulsively eat too much sugar and say they can't reduce or stop. BTW, IMO sugar addiction is a bunch of crap. People may eat too many sugar laden foods and have bad health outcomes but no physical addiction. Similar to the situation in people with orthorexia.

Orthorexia nervosa is not currently recognized as a clinical diagnosis in the DSM-5, but many people struggle with symptoms associated with this term.

Those who have an “unhealthy obsession” with otherwise healthy eating may be suffering from “orthorexia nervosa,” a term which literally means “fixation on righteous eating.”

I have known people who limit their lives so that they can stick to their diet of choice -- they don't travel because they can't be assured of organic food the whole time or they don't socialize because they can't control the food they will encounter. I don't know if it needs a fancy name, but to the extent that it keeps them from living their best well-rounded life, I would consider it to be a problem.

Yeah, we want to make good choices, but there is a point of diminishing returns. If you aren't going to visit your grandparents because of the food options in their town, it's a good time to access and see if your diet is driving your happiness and health or if you're just making a fetish of the whole thing.

We had a lady that worked for our company whose job required traveling and she would not travel anywhere unless she was sure there were organic stores/restaurants in the area. While I thought that seemed a little crazy she was actually a very happy and sweet person. It wasn't a problem to her.

I think you can be happy and sweet while dealing with something that limits your life. They don't cancel each other out. I know happy and sweet people who do things like avoid air travel or movie theaters due to anxiety. I wouldn't insist that they seek treatment for this (it's their business), but would they be happier with wider options for travel or entertainment?

Air travel or group entertainments aren't essential for a happy life, but if you're avoiding them due to anxiety I think that it could contribute to a fuller life if addressed.

Same with travelling for work. We don't have to do it in order to be happy, but if food is the only reason you're limiting your career that way -- well, it's a limit on your full potential.

(I say this as someone with anxieties that do limit my full potential range of activities, something I'm working on. That probably colors my perspective here).

Yes, I would agree that it may be a problem, but not that it is inherently a problem.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options

The graph you are probably referring to says "Except for fats".

• janejellyroll
    Options

Yes, I would agree that it may be a problem, but not that it is inherently a problem.

I completely agree.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I feel the need to post this, if the OP, as hinted in subsequent posts, is trying to get at the source of why people are so fatty fat fat fat. If you can't read the fine print, the source is NHANES.

Another presentation of similar data for the U.S.A. using a stacked graph (this presentation shows relative contributions to total daily calories for each source - I've posted this before, I think):

tcd5pyr700vz.png

Note that total calorie intake was up in 2010 over 1970, but this was entirely due to added fats and flour/cereal products. It looks like somewhere around 500 cals/day increase in average input - no wonder there's an obesity epidemic in the U.S.A. Calories from sugars, veggies, fruit, dairy, and meat/eggs/nuts were flat during this period.

The numbers don't exactly match those from the other graphs - they must have used a different methodology (or data source - they're from different governmental agencies). This graph shows calories from grains going up, the others don't.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

Yes. Dairy and meat are there own category and don't have added fat. I'm not sure where the source of your confusion is. The category that showed an increase was added fats. Dairy and meats are more than just fat, you know.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yes. Dairy and meat are there own category and don't have added fat. I'm not sure where the source of your confusion is. The category that showed an increase was added fats. Dairy and meats are more than just fat, you know.

I rest my case. There should have been more type of fats in the 6th graph.

Why? I get the impression that you are misunderstanding the graph.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I rest my case. There should have been more type of fats in the 6th graph.

Why? I get the impression that you are misunderstanding the graph.

I think the distinction between *added* fats and fats that are inherent to meat and (non-butter/cream) dairy is potentially causing the confusion?