Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Jack Lalanne's Advice

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Still curious who ever recommended eating the listed foods in immoderation.

It’s the typical binary argument - you either eat nothing but those foods all the time, or you eat none of them ever. No way there could be a sensible, reasonable middle ground which takes context and dosage into consideration.

So like this from My Plate right?

According to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines, we should limit our total daily consumption of added sugars to less than 10% of calories per day. This recommendation is to help achieve a healthy eating style. After eating foods from all food groups to meet nutrient needs, there is limited room for calories from added sugars. When added sugars in foods and beverages exceed 10% of calories, it may be difficult to achieve a healthy eating style that meets personal calorie limits.

Context = Most Americans (i.e., we)
    Dose = added sugars less than 10% of calories

A sweeping statement over most people of a 300+ million population is pretty much the opposite of looking at something in context.

If there is an issue identified with a population, by definition, that issue impacts a large part of the population.

• Packerjohn
    Options
    Oh, and obviously, there's a ton of people on here who aren't even American to begin with.

Sorry, the WHO has similar guidelines.
  • Packerjohn
    edited December 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It’s the typical binary argument - you either eat nothing but those foods all the time, or you eat none of them ever. No way there could be a sensible, reasonable middle ground which takes context and dosage into consideration.

So like this from My Plate right?

According to the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines, we should limit our total daily consumption of added sugars to less than 10% of calories per day. This recommendation is to help achieve a healthy eating style. After eating foods from all food groups to meet nutrient needs, there is limited room for calories from added sugars. When added sugars in foods and beverages exceed 10% of calories, it may be difficult to achieve a healthy eating style that meets personal calorie limits.

Context = Most Americans (i.e., we)
    Dose = added sugars less than 10% of calories

You love, simply love, constructing the "most Americans" or "average American" strawman argument in every single thread you enter into on these forums.

It's not helpful.

None of us as individuals posting here represent an aggregate of an entire country's experience. We are each individuals and it is just plain silly of you to expect any one of us to debate you coming from the perspective of "the average American".

I'm me. I have my own eating experience, not some average experience, and I'm not going to argue some strawman arguments just to suit your narrative.

My dietary problems were always about too many calories, not too much sugar. I didn't eat sugar for many, many years. I still managed to weigh 210 pounds while I was eating a whole foods diet. Lemurcat has told you how she ate, and you brushed aside her experiences and wanted to argue about your blasted strawman. My experience is mine, not that of "the average American". The same is true of every person posting here. How on earth are we supposed to have a discussion if you keep wanting us to answer for some elusive group of people we're supposed to represent in your mind?

We. are. not. a. collective.

Please stop treating us like one.

It's wonderful how you and Lemurcat have your diet and health under control. Sincere congratulations.

Looking at "average" Americans and population recommendations from well respected health organizations on how to improve overall health is much more helpful, IMO, than random sample N=1 testimonials.

If something is an issue for a population, it is an issue for a large part of that population, which would include readers of these forums. Simple math.

I believe my comments have been very civil. However, if you don't don't want to argue or don't like the way I am treating "us" there is a feature on these forums to block individuals.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/1029656-can-i-block-a-user-s-forum-posts-

But we aren't all American for a start.

Sorry, similar situation for others in the developed world. Refer to WHO guidelines.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    People on here are not a random subset of the "Average American". Through the fact that they're already trying to lose weight they are a minority. If you went to the Keto group and posted this it would be even less useful. That's context.

I would sure think those in the minority who are trying to lose weight would be interested in the guidance of the researchers at the USDA and WHO
  • azironasun
    azironasun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    It's woo. why is he demonizing white sugar. As if brown sugar, molasses, honey, agave syrup, and all the other forms of sugar are somewhat better for you? The body cares not what form of sugar it uses. And it does use sugar. It's not the evil poison a lot of people think it is. And number 2 he misspelled the word pastries. That enough leads me to not take him seriously. :#
    Snd besides, he's dead.

I can't seem to find the downvote button.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    What's demonic about saying eating less cake is likely to help you lose weight?
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options

Does this post ∆ count as an example of demonizing sugar, pointing out that moderation is required and nobody is giving the (bad) advice of eating more of it? This "demonizing" argument is very confusing.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    People on here are not a random subset of the "Average American". Through the fact that they're already trying to lose weight they are a minority. If you went to the Keto group and posted this it would be even less useful. That's context.

I would sure think those in the minority who are trying to lose weight would be interested in the guidance of the researchers at the USDA and WHO

If the recommendations don’t apply to an individual’s situation, they are not helpful.
    I think that’s the point you’re missing.

Lemurcat and GottaBurnEmAll aren’t saying the guidelines are useless because they have their diets dialed in...they’re saying that they’re misguided for recommending an approach which may not resolve the issue. For instance, they gained weight while following these recommendations. Thus, blindly saying “reduce sugar intake” is not necessarily good advice.

What would be helpful is advice to identify the source/cause of the calorie surplus and act accordingly to achieve a deficit.
    Let the solution be tailored to the problem

Well if you you look back 2 of the top 4 sources of calories in the American diet are grain based desserts and pop/energy/sports drinks. So for many people, looking at these items with added sugars (and in the case of grain based desserts unhealthy fats) and low nutrient density is a going to be an excellent starting point.

And for many people (those who already don’t eat many grain based desserts or drink caloric drinks) its a useless waste of time.

Never mind the fact that blindly saying “to be fit and trim, cut out the desserts” also further confuses people into thinking that desserts themselves cause fat gain, opposed to the caloric surplus they may or may not cause.

If you look back at this thread or any post I've put on these boards related to the subject I say CICO is king regarding weight loss/maintenance.

IMO, the fact that grain based desserts and pop, etc are 2 of the 4 highest categories of calories in the US diet means reduction of these high calorie/low nutrition foods really is low hanging fruit for many people regarding weight loss/control.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    What's demonic about saying eating less cake is likely to help you lose weight?

Not sure who this was directed to, but Lalanne said that people should cut out all added sugar and processed foods, not just that one should cut down on cake.

I don't find advice that one should cut down on cake for weight loss to be demonizing cake, but I do find it kind of worthless, personally, as most people (everyone, I think) knows that cake is a high cal item, a treat food, and if people eat lots of it, they are not unaware that it's not great for weight loss. I also find the idea that people eat lots and lots of cake weird, as I ate it about once a year, maybe twice, the whole time I was fat. I don't like baking cake, and prefer pie (and bake pie only for holidays and special dinners), so maybe I'm weird. My office has cake a couple times a year for special events -- for example, in 2016 we had it when the Cubs won the World Series.