Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Jack Lalanne's Advice

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    Very interesting. ^^^

So, the idea that eating less cake, instead of no cake, may not have been understood during Jacks time.

Is that possible?

We’re arguing about a concept now that wasn’t understood very well, or at all, then.

I'm confused by the notion that no calorie labels means one wouldn't understand moderation. Cake does not normally have labels on it, IME -- especially back in the '70s it would have been homemade (although perhaps from a box, I have a book about the rise of cooking from packages). Now cake that is homemade or from a bakery won't have a label.

Lalanne was basically a clean eater if you read his other comments, I don't think it had a thing to do with calorie labels.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    I grew up in the 70's watching all my aunt's going "elimination" diets and just complaining all the time. And Jack was a big influence back then.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    People had books like this about calories. My mom had one:

473m410bniy8.jpg
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    ...There's very little new information or understanding regarding nutrition...

You really, truly believe that?

That between the '50s/'60s and now, there's "very little new information or understanding regarding nutrition"?
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    People on here are not a random subset of the "Average American". Through the fact that they're already trying to lose weight they are a minority. If you went to the Keto group and posted this it would be even less useful. That's context.

I would sure think those in the minority who are trying to lose weight would be interested in the guidance of the researchers at the USDA and WHO

If the recommendations don’t apply to an individual’s situation, they are not helpful.
    I think that’s the point you’re missing.

Lemurcat and GottaBurnEmAll aren’t saying the guidelines are useless because they have their diets dialed in...they’re saying that they’re misguided for recommending an approach which may not resolve the issue. For instance, they gained weight while following these recommendations. Thus, blindly saying “reduce sugar intake” is not necessarily good advice.

What would be helpful is advice to identify the source/cause of the calorie surplus and act accordingly to achieve a deficit.
    Let the solution be tailored to the problem

Well if you you look back 2 of the top 4 sources of calories in the American diet are grain based desserts and pop/energy/sports drinks. So for many people, looking at these items with added sugars (and in the case of grain based desserts unhealthy fats) and low nutrient density is a going to be an excellent starting point.

And for many people (those who already don’t eat many grain based desserts or drink caloric drinks) its a useless waste of time.

Never mind the fact that blindly saying “to be fit and trim, cut out the desserts” also further confuses people into thinking that desserts themselves cause fat gain, opposed to the caloric surplus they may or may not cause.

If you look back at this thread or any post I've put on these boards related to the subject I say CICO is king regarding weight loss/maintenance.

IMO, the fact that grain based desserts and pop, etc are 2 of the 4 highest categories of calories in the US diet means reduction of these high calorie/low nutrition foods really is low hanging fruit for many people regarding weight loss/control.

Yes, and THOSE people would probably benefit from reducing grain-based desserts and pop. If my diet plan had considered of reducing pop (which I consumed only in diet form, and only occasionally) and grain-based desserts (which weren't a regular part of my diet), I would still be fat and perhaps be whining "it's not fair, I don't eat "bad" foods, I must be doomed to be fat). Instead, I looked at my own diet with honesty and identified what I was doing wrong -- that is what I'm recommending.

Also, I don't think Lalanne was saying REDUCE, he was saying cut out. Read his comments on sugar that I quoted above. (For NorthCascades, I think those comments about sugar being worse than smoking and causing you to do bad acts count as demonization.)

I don't consider myself a "clean eater" in any way, shape or form - yet of LaLanne's list, the only items I consume regularly are ice cream (Halo Top, so reduced calories/fat) and soda (diet soda, so zero calories). All the rest I consume anywhere from seldom to very seldom/almost never. Even at my fattest and my sloppiest/most lax levels of food intake, those foods weren't my vices, so his supposedly wonderful advice to cut all those virtually non-existent foods out of my diet would have been of basically zero benefit to me. It's about as useful as telling a vegan that the best way to lose weight is to cut meat products out of their diet. Or telling a marathon runner that they should take up running for weight loss.

I gained weight by eating too much of foods I like - virtually none of which are on that list. I lost weight by eating those same foods, but in smaller quantities, and increasing my caloric expenditure by becoming more active.

Ditto. A big part of my weight gain was lean chicken, cheese and long grain rice.

I so wish I had that problem rather than an Oreo, chocolate, ice cream, and Reese’s peanut butter cup problem.

Same here!

I gained weight due to the usual culprits... Sweets, take away, chips, dips, cookies, chocolate, bread, desserts - generally too much junk food and fast, tasty low nutrient/high calorie foods that are easy to eat, and eat in excess.

Gaining weight eating "healthy" foods, such as lean meats, grains, fruit, vegies etc etc is a totally foreign concept to me, as those are the things that there is no threat of me overeating! Sticking to those types of foods and greatly reducing or completely omitting the foods in my first paragraph allowed me to lose weight without too much bother.
  • spinnerdell
    spinnerdell Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I well remember my mother consulting her pocket-sized calorie count book and using a small plastic food scale back in the 1960's. There was a lively interest in nutrition and plentiful information about it, at least among my family. The info available back then ran the validity gamut, just as it does today.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I hope you don't think everyone is dumping on you. We just remember the olden days. ;-)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    People on here are not a random subset of the "Average American". Through the fact that they're already trying to lose weight they are a minority. If you went to the Keto group and posted this it would be even less useful. That's context.

I would sure think those in the minority who are trying to lose weight would be interested in the guidance of the researchers at the USDA and WHO

Let me rephrase it in a different example.
    Do you think financial advice aimed at someone with average income is going to be useful to someone with a Master's degree?
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

If the recommendations don’t apply to an individual’s situation, they are not helpful.
    I think that’s the point you’re missing.

Lemurcat and GottaBurnEmAll aren’t saying the guidelines are useless because they have their diets dialed in...they’re saying that they’re misguided for recommending an approach which may not resolve the issue. For instance, they gained weight while following these recommendations. Thus, blindly saying “reduce sugar intake” is not necessarily good advice.

What would be helpful is advice to identify the source/cause of the calorie surplus and act accordingly to achieve a deficit.
    Let the solution be tailored to the problem

Well if you you look back 2 of the top 4 sources of calories in the American diet are grain based desserts and pop/energy/sports drinks. So for many people, looking at these items with added sugars (and in the case of grain based desserts unhealthy fats) and low nutrient density is a going to be an excellent starting point.

And for many people (those who already don’t eat many grain based desserts or drink caloric drinks) its a useless waste of time.

Never mind the fact that blindly saying “to be fit and trim, cut out the desserts” also further confuses people into thinking that desserts themselves cause fat gain, opposed to the caloric surplus they may or may not cause.

If you look back at this thread or any post I've put on these boards related to the subject I say CICO is king regarding weight loss/maintenance.

IMO, the fact that grain based desserts and pop, etc are 2 of the 4 highest categories of calories in the US diet means reduction of these high calorie/low nutrition foods really is low hanging fruit for many people regarding weight loss/control.

Yes, and THOSE people would probably benefit from reducing grain-based desserts and pop. If my diet plan had considered of reducing pop (which I consumed only in diet form, and only occasionally) and grain-based desserts (which weren't a regular part of my diet), I would still be fat and perhaps be whining "it's not fair, I don't eat "bad" foods, I must be doomed to be fat). Instead, I looked at my own diet with honesty and identified what I was doing wrong -- that is what I'm recommending.

Also, I don't think Lalanne was saying REDUCE, he was saying cut out. Read his comments on sugar that I quoted above. (For NorthCascades, I think those comments about sugar being worse than smoking and causing you to do bad acts count as demonization.)

I don't consider myself a "clean eater" in any way, shape or form - yet of LaLanne's list, the only items I consume regularly are ice cream (Halo Top, so reduced calories/fat) and soda (diet soda, so zero calories). All the rest I consume anywhere from seldom to very seldom/almost never. Even at my fattest and my sloppiest/most lax levels of food intake, those foods weren't my vices, so his supposedly wonderful advice to cut all those virtually non-existent foods out of my diet would have been of basically zero benefit to me. It's about as useful as telling a vegan that the best way to lose weight is to cut meat products out of their diet. Or telling a marathon runner that they should take up running for weight loss.

I gained weight by eating too much of foods I like - virtually none of which are on that list. I lost weight by eating those same foods, but in smaller quantities, and increasing my caloric expenditure by becoming more active.

Ditto. A big part of my weight gain was lean chicken, cheese and long grain rice.

I so wish I had that problem rather than an Oreo, chocolate, ice cream, and Reese’s peanut butter cup problem.

Same here!

I gained weight due to the usual culprits... Sweets, take away, chips, dips, cookies, chocolate, bread, desserts - generally too much junk food and fast, tasty low nutrient/high calorie foods that are easy to eat, and eat in excess.

Gaining weight eating "healthy" foods, such as lean meats, grains, fruit, vegies etc etc is a totally foreign concept to me, as those are the things that there is no threat of me overeating! Sticking to those types of foods and greatly reducing or completely omitting the foods in my first paragraph allowed me to lose weight without too much bother.

Ditto.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I still don't understand how "eat less cake if you want to lose weight" is invoking demons.

I don't think it is. I think you are arguing against a strawman.

My objection to the original post was not demonization, but let's be clear as to what Lalanne's advice actually was (as I posted before):

From http://modernhealthmonk.com/habits-of-the-jack-lalanne-diet-healthy-and-fit-over-40/:
    “There’s nothing more addictive on this earth than sugar. Not heroin, booze, whatever. It’s much worse than smoking.”

When he was young, he was a massive sugarholic which he blamed many of his health conditions on, including his childhood rage (involving setting his house on fire).

“As a kid,” he flatly states, “I was a sugarholic and a junk food junkie! It made me weak and it made me mean. It made me so sick I had boils, pimples and suffered from nearsightedness. Little girls used to beat me up. My mom prayed… the Church prayed.”

So to present this as suggesting that people cut down on desserts to lose weight is, I think, not fully accurate.

Also, I would not object to "cut down on desserts to lose weight" as demonization but I wouldn't say it to someone without knowing how they ate. I think that's presumptuous (you need to lose weight? must be eating lots of sugar). I'd suggest instead (if they were asking for help) that they go through their diet and figure out where they are getting extra calories. I have never met one person, not one, who did not know that if they were eating huge amounts of sweets that that was an obvious place to cut down (more often people think they should give them up entirely -- which, for the record, I did when I started even though I didn't eat a whole lot of sweets). Thus, telling someone "you know, your diet probably shouldn't include 1000 calories of cake strikes me as not only presumptous (if you don't know their diet) but as if you are calling them stupid (they supposedly don't know cake has lots of calories and fewer micronutrients than many other foods?).

I would really love a response to this rather than the (untrue, IMO) suggestion that people are objecting to the notion that limiting sweets is generally a good idea, whether you do it naturally because it's not your particular taste (I don't eat most of the things on the list very often) or to reduce calories (like I did with a number of things not on the list, like cheese and olive oil, which I used more than I should).
    Sure, it's possible to get fat eating nothing but too much broccoli, but who thinks we're in the midst of an unprecedented obesity epidemic because people eat too much broccoli?

Many foods are high cal (unlike broccoli) and not on the list presented. I didn't get fat from broccoli (I ate lots of it, but it's not why I got fat). I also would not have gotten thin if my diet had consisted only of cutting out added sugar.

But again, that's not actually my objection -- I do think the average American eats too much added sugar (although why not give advice tailored to specific people actually interested and their questions?). Is the average person trying to lose weight on MFP unaware that limiting dessert foods might be a good idea (I kind of doubt jam or canned fruit is a serious issue, but who knows).

Also, in reality Lalanne had a bunch more rules, like no dairy and no coffee. I, for one, think that dairy and coffee can be quite helpful in weight loss.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    If packerjohn's point is that we should all read USDA/WHO recommendations as part of our personal nutritional education and analysis, I'd totally support that. I mean, it's a consensus of mainstream experts. Not unchallengeable at the margins, not tailored exactly to ever unique one of us, but great stuff.

Jack Lalanne, circa 1960 (?), with a dozen or so words on a chalk board, is not 2017 USDA/WHO. Not close.

Yes, this.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand how "eat less cake if you want to lose weight" is invoking demons.

I don't think it is. I think you are arguing against a strawman.

My objection to the original post was not demonization, but let's be clear as to what Lalanne's advice actually was (as I posted before):

From http://modernhealthmonk.com/habits-of-the-jack-lalanne-diet-healthy-and-fit-over-40/:
    “There’s nothing more addictive on this earth than sugar. Not heroin, booze, whatever. It’s much worse than smoking.”

When he was young, he was a massive sugarholic which he blamed many of his health conditions on, including his childhood rage (involving setting his house on fire).

“As a kid,” he flatly states, “I was a sugarholic and a junk food junkie! It made me weak and it made me mean. It made me so sick I had boils, pimples and suffered from nearsightedness. Little girls used to beat me up. My mom prayed… the Church prayed.”

So to present this as suggesting that people cut down on desserts to lose weight is, I think, not fully accurate.

Also, I would not object to "cut down on desserts to lose weight" as demonization but I wouldn't say it to someone without knowing how they ate. I think that's presumptuous (you need to lose weight? must be eating lots of sugar). I'd suggest instead (if they were asking for help) that they go through their diet and figure out where they are getting extra calories. I have never met one person, not one, who did not know that if they were eating huge amounts of sweets that that was an obvious place to cut down (more often people think they should give them up entirely -- which, for the record, I did when I started even though I didn't eat a whole lot of sweets). Thus, telling someone "you know, your diet probably shouldn't include 1000 calories of cake strikes me as not only presumptous (if you don't know their diet) but as if you are calling them stupid (they supposedly don't know cake has lots of calories and fewer micronutrients than many other foods?).

I would really love a response to this rather than the (untrue, IMO) suggestion that people are objecting to the notion that limiting sweets is generally a good idea, whether you do it naturally because it's not your particular taste (I don't eat most of the things on the list very often) or to reduce calories (like I did with a number of things not on the list, like cheese and olive oil, which I used more than I should).
    Sure, it's possible to get fat eating nothing but too much broccoli, but who thinks we're in the midst of an unprecedented obesity epidemic because people eat too much broccoli?

Many foods are high cal (unlike broccoli) and not on the list presented. I didn't get fat from broccoli (I ate lots of it, but it's not why I got fat). I also would not have gotten thin if my diet had consisted only of cutting out added sugar.

But again, that's not actually my objection -- I do think the average American eats too much added sugar (although why not give advice tailored to specific people actually interested and their questions?). Is the average person trying to lose weight on MFP unaware that limiting dessert foods might be a good idea (I kind of doubt jam or canned fruit is a serious issue, but who knows).

Also, in reality Lalanne had a bunch more rules, like no dairy and no coffee. I, for one, think that dairy and coffee can be quite helpful in weight loss.

None of this answers my question about where the demons come into this. I guess we agree it's shrill and kind of over the top.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Let me rephrase it in a different example.
    Do you think financial advice aimed at someone with average income is going to be useful to someone with a Master's degree?

Not your best ever argument, though usually I like your arguments.

I had (about) median income. I had a big chunk of a master's degree (MBA, didn't quite finish). I read lots of financial advice for average-income people. I followed quite a bit of it. I retired, comfortably but not luxuriously, at 51.

I understand what you're trying to say, I think. Still not your best argument. ;)

I pay attention to USDA/WHO, too. Just not slavishly.

If packerjohn's point is that we should all read USDA/WHO recommendations as part of our personal nutritional education and analysis, I'd totally support that. I mean, it's a consensus of mainstream experts. Not unchallengeable at the margins, not tailored exactly to ever unique one of us, but great stuff.

Jack Lalanne, circa 1960 (?), with a dozen or so words on a chalk board, is not 2017 USDA/WHO. Not close.

It was 3 am when I wrote it.