Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    Options
    Hi, everyone! I had my last drink on January 7th...so I am only four days in but I would love to join you guys. I am doing this for several reasons. I blame my drinking of lots of wine over the years for packing on 30 lbs. Well, I though it was only 30 lbs but when I got on the scale yesterday I realized it was actually 38 :(

I started buying boxed wine about a year ago because it was more cost effective but it took a huge toll on my health because i started just drinking whenever I felt like without measuring... and you cant really look inside the box to see how much you've had either.

Already, I feel better and I feel like I am sleeping better. I also saw a 2 lb drop on the scale this morning so I am happy. I did notice that last night I had some CRAZY dreams..not really nightmares but some pretty intense stuff and I feel like I never have dreams so I am thinking it could be a light withdrawal symptom.

Anyways, I will keep following this thread to help look for inspiration when times get tough!

Amanda, four days is awesome. Those are tough days for sure. Yes, the box wine would be hard to measure. And I'm positive I would drink much more , because I couldnt see the bottle contents. Happy you are on this thread! Two pounds is great, too!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    1/1-NADA
    1/2-NADA
    1/3-NADA
    1/4-NADA
    1/5-12 oz wine
    1/6-5 oz wine
    1/7-12 oz wine
    1/8 NADA
    1/9 3 oz wine
    1/10 12 oz wine

Two glasses of wine last night. Logging this and seeing it here in black and white makes me realize that I am still drinking a lot, especially when I look at how well so many of you are doing at completely abstaining. If I wasn't posing it like this, I would feel like I am doing great. 12 oz of wine (two glasses of my long pours) is about what I can drink without feeling drunk or having any after effects the next day, so in that regard I guess I am doing okay in terms of my goal, but my mind keeps coming back to this thread and I think I need to step it up a notch. No wine for me tonight or tomorrow. We are travelling to my mom's house this weekend and will have our belated holiday dinner with my brother and his wife. My plan is to limit myself to two glasses and then nothing on Sunday. That will put me at just over a bottle of wine for the week (M-Sun). I can live with that. Much better than a bottle a night.

Totally agree that you are on track! Much better than a bottle a night and think of how much money you saved. I like that you're tracking just to see if there's a pattern or not. Anyways, safe travels!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Day 11- another dry one for me. Lost all urges. Found replacements: tea, hot bath with candles burning, La Croix sparkling water, for stress release after work day. The only thing I miss is going somewhere where you used to have drinks. Like tonight, I went to my favorite restaurant/pub, but I was sitting with the family at a booth. The bartender walked by and said "Hi Julie". You know youre a regular when the bartender knows your name and favorite drink. I did see the usual people sitting at the bar; but I was happy to be sober to be honest.
    I was drinking club soda and lime. I did yearn for a brief minute for a martini, but of course, I have to keep my personal best going. On to the weekend!

A few days ago, someone asked me if I wanted wine at a relatives house. I said "No, I'm doing Dry January." My daughter overheard, and looked very suprised and raised her eyebrows. I was proud of myself. She's 17. We didn't talk about it afterwards, but I did see that she seemed pleasantly surprised.

Thats some self control. Luckily I havent found myself at a bar. The closest I came was walking in the beer aisle at Whole Paycheck. Didnt even look at the IPA. Great job
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Not going to measure and post how much I drink on the weekends but at least keep tabs of days I do/dont.

1/1-drank
    1/2-no-hungover (at work)- over ate
    1/3-no
    1/4-no
    1/5-drank
    1/6-no
    1/7-drank
    1/8 no
    1/9 no
    1/10 no
    1/11 no - plan to not drink tonight

seeing it typed out like this makes me really happy... didnt think i could do this..

Regarding 1/2 , I feel for you. Hangovers at work stink! Hangovers are awful. They hit me really bad.
    Great week for you in general:)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    mmccool719 wrote: »
    Safe travel vibes desperately needed my way. Supposed to fly out at 6am Saturday during big snowstorm. I either need less than 2 hour delay to make the trip worthwhile or complete cancel so I can rebook it without penalties. It is a 3 day trip to Tampa to celebrate my sons 16th birthday with my family down there. Sorry for the off topic. On a good note, I’m on day 5 thanks to sparkling cranberry juice and hot tea.

Safe travels for sure! Ahhh happy birthday to your son! Congrats on Day 5, too!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    Well these weekdays have been perfect, and easy. Tomorrow is Friday, then we shall see.
    We went out last weekend, and I really felt that I needed to have a serious plan in place ahead of time and that winging it wasn't going to end well. I had to imagine myself out with friends and how I was going to manage it, right down to the particular drinks I was going to have. It was an outdoor beach bar, so easy enough to bring my tea along with me in a grownup sippy cup, for starters. After that, I'd already planned to have either a Diet Coke or club soda and lime. I stuck to what I'd decided, but I think that was because I'd already envisioned the evening long before it arrived.

I'm finding visualization before I go out seems to work well. I practice in my head what I'll say and order. I'll see tomorrow night if that theory holds true. My test will be when I go out with my friends to a bar to listen to a band. I will stay strong though. I'm driving so that's an added bonus.

• RubyRed427
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    I’m being called upon to provide support, transportation, child care, food, anything else needed in the midst of a true life crisis (I posted about it Wednesday.). Plans are changing by the minute. I cannot even imagine how I’d be able to do this if I was drinking at night. Up having a hotel breakfast feeling clear and strong ready for a long day. I hate the sad circumstances but am grateful for this early lesson in how a drinking life interferes with what is truly important. When a future crisis comes I want to be alcohol free!

Sending you a big hug. Being clearheaded in times of stress or heartache is a great benefit to dry January.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    justlog wrote: »
    So here’s where I’ve been since Saturday. Went to a local brewery and didn’t drink a sip (never do when I have the keys). But, I walked out with a growler of one of my favorite beers. Since the beer goes flat pretty soon, I finished most of it by Tuesday and had to toss the rest due to it being flat. Shot my 2 per week goal to hell.

At this point I don’t even crave a sip or the smell. I’m going to “up” the ante on my goal and say forget the 2 per week for the rest of this month AND February.

My day 1 was yesterday and this morning woke up to that most inviting clear feeling. Such a different feeling.

I'll do February challenge with you! I feel
    Really good every morning now. Xo

Love this idea and your encouragement of others!! <3
    I’m going strong with January so far (alcohol-free last night again and not missing it at all), and I might be in for continuing this into February. I bet there are plenty of others that will join you as well! Thank you so much for the fabulous thread, Julie!

It's such a joy to me to know I'm know alone in this struggle to find moderation or abstinence despite the triggers that make it hard to do so. Thanks for contributing your encouraging words to all of us. Xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    I just want to put a thanks out there for this being a Less Alcohol thread. I think it is more inclusive for those seeking moderation or trying to go completely dry. If it was a strictly Dry thread a lot of us may not have a place to come for this great support.
    So thanks to @JulieAL1969 for starting this and all of you for sharing your motivating stories, no matter what your personal goals may be.
    I hope this group continues in February!

Thanks Erik! For sure, this thread will continue in February and hopefully beyond that.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have been having lots of intense dreams lately, not sure if it has anything to do with the no alcohol but it’s kind of getting on my nerves because of the intensity and often negative aspects of them. Could be worse I guess, I could be having trouble sleeping.

Ive always had vivid, frequently dark dreams but mine have been horrific lately. Like unspeakable. I've had wine on 3 evenings since new years... i was drinking 6 days a week prior...

I see so many posts about how much better people are sleeping...but i wake up feeling just as groggy/hangovery (and with freakier dreams) on sober days as drinking days.

Maybe it just indicates more withdrawal? I will be patient. I still am commited to cutting back significantly.

It's just hard to not feel ANY distinct benefits yet...(other than less shame).

• SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I have been having lots of intense dreams lately, not sure if it has anything to do with the no alcohol but it’s kind of getting on my nerves because of the intensity and often negative aspects of them. Could be worse I guess, I could be having trouble sleeping.

Ive always had vivid, frequently dark dreams but mine have been horrific lately. Like unspeakable. I've had wine on 3 evenings since new years... i was drinking 6 days a week prior...

I see so many posts about how much better people are sleeping...but i wake up feeling just as groggy/hangovery (and with freakier dreams) on sober days as drinking days.

Maybe it just indicates more withdrawal? I will be patient. I still am commited to cutting back significantly.

I’m sorry that’s the worst. I hate nightmares. I didn’t sleep better until I was about 6 days in to dry Jan. I had a headache and woke up really early a few of the first days. Maybe try and string together a long streak and see if it helps? I’m sure despite the lack of outward benefits your body and liver are probably happy :) I think the best benefits for me are what you mentioned - waking up without regret and learning to enjoy dry days and not see them as something I have to get through, rather dry days are good days! My skin actually feels softer though! Hope tonight is a better sleep!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options

Stick with it, these are early days.