Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    @MaryBethHempel my husband loves craft beer as well. It totally doesn't bother me that he drinks them in front of me bc I'm such a wine person. Beer holds no allure for me, and I'm very thankful for that!
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Hubby and I went for pizza last night (as you can see we go out to eat OFTEN) LOL! I was proud that I didnt get any beer. Pizza and Beer goes hand in hand like Peanut butter and Jelly. But I totally passed and had water. Sooooooo proud of myself. I hate the feeling of temptation though and the internal struggle to drink or not to drink.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    kittybenn wrote: »
    @MaryBethHempel my husband loves craft beer as well. It totally doesn't bother me that he drinks them in front of me bc I'm such a wine person. Beer holds no allure for me, and I'm very thankful for that!

My hubby too! We live in San Diego which is craft beer heaven. Luckily I’m like you - I like it but can take or leave it. I noticed my skin looks so great today without makeup. Makes me want to keep up the dry come February. I admit I will enjoy the option of wine for special occasions once feb hits! I’m going out to dinner with my cousin tonight. She and I are known for long meals with a bottle shared between us. I warned her I’m dry though! Looking forward to another challenge.

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Feeling a bit discourage my b/f for the last three days has gotten $h!tfaced and missed work for partying (being hungover) while I have been good and going to bed. I know I use to be the same but its tempting to cave when he is drinking and join him. But at the same time I am so disappointed in his actions. (missing work... really)

1/1-drank
    1/2-no-hungover (at work)- over ate
    1/3-no
    1/4-no
    1/5-drank
    1/6-no
    1/7-drank
    1/8 no
    1/9 no
    1/10 no
    1/11 drank
    1/12 drank
    1/13 drank
    1/14 no
    1/15 no
    1/16 no- dont plan to

37.5% - enjoying keeping this percentage talley keeps me motivated to lower it or just see it not rise
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Just watched this youtube. I think it was only six minutes long. The guy in it is energetic and positive. Says he started with a 30 day challenge like we're trying, and now he's at six years alcohol free. He gives some valid reasons for him and us to continue.
    *Last few minutes he speaks of his website where you can sign up for his challenge. Ignore that part;)

https://youtu.be/RwZ7Ekhs-Lk

Wow, this was great, thanks for sharing!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    1/1-NADA
    1/2-NADA
    1/3-NADA
    1/4-NADA
    1/5-12 oz wine
    1/6-5 oz wine
    1/7-12 oz wine
    1/8 NADA
    1/9 3 oz wine
    1/10 12 oz wine
    1/11-NADA
    1/12-15 oz wine and 2oz whiskey
    1/13-16 oz wine
    1/14-NADA
    1/15-NADA

Friday evening was my first real "I drank more than I should have" evening since Jan 1. And, yes, like so many of you said, I was disappointed with myself. It was snowing, hubby was cooking dinner...same old story. On Saturday we drove to my mom's house in Pittsburgh to pick her up. My brother brought me a bottle of wine and hubby and I shared it. I did not drink on Sunday or yesterday. Yesterday my mother made a comment about my drinking that really bothered me. Nobody has ever really said anything to me about drinking too much and I did not like hearing that coming from someone who cares about me.

This thread continues to inspire me and also make me question my relationship with alcohol (which is a good thing). Still working on trying to figure it out though. @SuzJok85 -Thank you for that wonderful post. It definitely hit home in so many ways.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    Hubby and I went for pizza last night (as you can see we go out to eat OFTEN) LOL! I was proud that I didnt get any beer. Pizza and Beer goes hand in hand like Peanut butter and Jelly. But I totally passed and had water. Sooooooo proud of myself. I hate the feeling of temptation though and the internal struggle to drink or not to drink.

Man, you sound like me! But congrats on your victory! :)

Ok, today I'm starting my Dry January. It's not too late is it? :D

It is never too late. Welcome!!
  • springsweet
    Options
    Wow. Take a look at this TED talk I just watched. Is anybody here familiar with naltrexone and/or The Sinclair Method?

https://youtu.be/6EghiY_s2ts
  • springsweet
    Options
    Also - is there any kind of support network for people who don't want to completely abstain from alcohol, but would like to significantly cut back? Or is AA still the only option out there?
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Also - is there any kind of support network for people who don't want to completely abstain from alcohol, but would like to significantly cut back? Or is AA still the only option out there?

I'm just cutting back from the week days. So I still show that I drink Fri-Sun.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Wow. Take a look at this TED talk I just watched. Is anybody here familiar with naltrexone and/or The Sinclair Method?

https://youtu.be/6EghiY_s2ts
    Really interesting! I had heard of it but that was a pretty interesting TED talk.

• justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I totally worry about becoming someone who like goes off the deep end and becomes an alcoholic (but I tend to worry about all kinds of terrible outcomes and illnesses) I guess this is why in the Naked Mind she talks about how personal it is for everyone. What they can handle. I personally hate being drunk. I think it feels terrible - so I walk that slippery slope of a couple glasses of wine. But tolerance builds through repetition. Man, I am loving the dry January and new perspective. I believe my alcohol consumption has been wrapped up in a) simply habit and b) a way to calm anxiety. This month has proved that I don’t need a glass of wine to calm down. In fact, a hot tea actually makes me feel better! I am curious about February though. I don’t want the daily “should I drink or not” take up so much headspace. I like not thinking about it! Sorry rambling

You're not rambling... It's real.. And, it is different for everyone. Each of us need to come to terms with it (or not) on our own- whatever that means.

Regardless, I think becoming aware of it and knowing how to deal with it honestly is key. Otherwise, it get's away and then issues come into play.

I keep using the term "sustainable moderation" because to me, it means knowing when to tone it down, when to turn it off and more importantly - when to enjoy. My personal definition says if I can't do any of those three - there's an issue.

• dark_sparkles37019
    dark_sparkles37019 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm in! :)