1/4-NADA
    1/5-12 oz wine
    1/6-5 oz wine
    1/7-12 oz wine
    1/8 NADA
    1/9 3 oz wine
    1/10 12 oz wine
    1/11-NADA
    1/12-15 oz wine and 2oz whiskey( more than planned)
    1/13-16 oz wine
    1/14-NADA
    1/15-NADA
    1/16-NADA
    1/17-NADA
    1/18-NADA
    1/19- 8 oz wine
    1/20-NADA
    1/21-20 oz wine
    1/22-NADA
    1/23-NADA
    1/24-5 oz wine

Stuck to my one glass of wine last night, and it was a small one. Saving the remainder of the bottle (about 8oz) for Friday.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Mechell15 wrote: »
    Has anyone one noticed a faster weight loss since cutting back?

I have actually gained weight this month. I guess it doesn't help to replace wine with chocolate :o

Is it an actual gain? It could be water weight.
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

I have actually gained weight this month. I guess it doesn't help to replace wine with chocolate :o

I’ve lost a little weight but have been exercising like crazy! Honestly given the calories saved I really thought I would drop more weight. But, the other benefits like better sleep and great skin have been worth it!
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Day 24 for me. My "final exam" for Dry January will begin tomorrow (Thursday) and end Sunday. Big girl's trip to Nashville where the sole intent is drinking, dancing and eating. I will do my very best to do mostly dancing!! Maybe I"ll look up Tim McGraw (he's been sober for nine years) and see if I can hang out with him and Faith.

Happy for all of you who are on track with your personal goals. I only lost a few pounds myself this month, but the overal feeling of calmness is a noticeable improvement. Very little mood swings, much more patient, clearheaded, and happier than in previous months. Best part zero hangovers for 24 days in a row. I must say for me that is the best feeling and reward. I'll be checking this thread for motivation. Xoxo

Good luck Julie! You’ll be great! Your resolve is strong and I bet you learn that you have fun sober and you’ll be the one feeling awesome every morning!! Do you like coffee? I know it’s not a substitute for wine, but getting an amazing flat white, or special coffee in the morning could be a great treat. Try and keep perspective on everything you’re gaining. The only thing you’re losing by not drinking is a headache, remorse and lots of extra calories :) xo
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »

I am not sure. For the past several years, my weight has not fluctuated by more than two pounds, even after weekends of indulging. Suddenly I am up 3 pounds though. IDK, it doesn't bother me that much, but I do not want it to become a trend.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Day 24 for me. My "final exam" for Dry January will begin tomorrow (Thursday) and end Sunday. Big girl's trip to Nashville where the sole intent is drinking, dancing and eating. I will do my very best to do mostly dancing!! Maybe I"ll look up Tim McGraw (he's been sober for nine years) and see if I can hang out with him and Faith.

Happy for all of you who are on track with your personal goals. I only lost a few pounds myself this month, but the overal feeling of calmness is a noticeable improvement. Very little mood swings, much more patient, clearheaded, and happier than in previous months. Best part zero hangovers for 24 days in a row. I must say for me that is the best feeling and reward. I'll be checking this thread for motivation. Xoxo

You got this Julie! You have managed to stay so strong and inspire so many of us, we know you will keep it going. Think of how good it will feel to get up in the morning and get a start on your day while your friends are sleeping off their hangovers. One of my favorite things to do when I travel is to explore the area on foot in the morning. For me this is usually a run, but it could be a nice walk as well. I always have at least one evening where I drink nothing or very little so that I can get up in the morning and head outside to watch the day come to life. I get my run in, then hit a local coffee shop or book store and wander around. Hotel concierges or front desk staff are usually really helpful in pointing you in the right direction. Enjoy your vacation!
  • springsweet
    springsweet Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    ms_true wrote: »
    Dry January with 1 slip (two glasses of wine and a beer last Saturday - and a hangover the next morning lol) Started Jan 2nd, so that was technically a slip, or not as that's the day I decided to give it a go. Have not lost even a pound this month however, after gaining 7 over Christmas, thus inspiring the dry January. So, bring on dry February :wink:

I know it's only been 5 days for me, but I'm 100% positive I haven't lost any weight. Which was the main motivation for me to take a break. When I quit for 7 months in 2011 I didn't lose any weight either. I think it was because I ate more (esp more sugar). But this time I'm trying to be more conscious.
    Does anybody have any tips to losing weight while not drinking alcohol? I've increased my activity level, I'm drinking water all day long, I'm not eating poorly... I don't know, at this point I feel like I couldn't drop a pound even if somebody had a gun to my head. :(

I'm definitely feeling other great benefits of no alcohol, but like I said, I originally quit to lose weight.

Also, I had my first big test last night - met the hubby out for dinner at a neighborhood bar & grill that we frequent. I always have at least 1 drink there. But last night I had ginger ale with my dinner. It was awkward at first - I didn't even know what non-alcoholic drinks they had to choose from. And when I asked the server, she started listing off the beer & wine specials. :neutral: I should have prepared better, but I survived nonetheless. :smile:
  • springsweet
    Options

Oh and I meant to say congrats! And one of the positive benefits I've noticed is also my more stable moods with less anxiety. :) The zero hangovers are always the best though! <3
  • dbanks80
    edited January 2018
    Options

I’ve lost a little weight but have been exercising like crazy! Honestly given the calories saved I really thought I would drop more weight. But, the other benefits like better sleep and great skin have been worth it!

If you have changed your workout habits from the norm your muscles could be retaining water repairing itself. I started with a PT this month and my muscles were SORE and holding on to all the water for couple of weeks. It finally released the water today and i am seeing weight loss.
  • dbanks80
    Options

I am not sure. For the past several years, my weight has not fluctuated by more than two pounds, even after weekends of indulging. Suddenly I am up 3 pounds though. IDK, it doesn't bother me that much, but I do not want it to become a trend.

Well stop the chocolate girl!! LOL!
  • dbanks80
    Options

Hey it is still weight loss which is EXCELLENT!

Maybe you can do some exercising while you are away to help burn more calories. Keep giving yourself a maximum number for drinks. I wish i had more encouraging words.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969, I will be rooting for you this weekend! My own "mid-term exam" (can't claim a "final" because of my mid-month lapse) is the following weekend in your fair state of Ohio! I will be anxious to hear of your experiences with an event centered around a lot of drinking. Have a wonderful time!!
  • dbanks80
    Options
    Dry January with 1 slip (two glasses of wine and a beer last Saturday - and a hangover the next morning lol) Started Jan 2nd, so that was technically a slip, or not as that's the day I decided to give it a go. Have not lost even a pound this month however, after gaining 7 over Christmas, thus inspiring the dry January. So, bring on dry February :wink:

I know it's only been 5 days for me, but I'm 100% positive I haven't lost any weight. Which was the main motivation for me to take a break. When I quit for 7 months in 2011 I didn't lose any weight either. I think it was because I ate more (esp more sugar). But this time I'm trying to be more conscious.
    Does anybody have any tips to losing weight while not drinking alcohol? I've increased my activity level, I'm drinking water all day long, I'm not eating poorly... I don't know, at this point I feel like I couldn't drop a pound even if somebody had a gun to my head. :(

I'm definitely feeling other great benefits of no alcohol, but like I said, I originally quit to lose weight.

Also, I had my first big test last night - met the hubby out for dinner at a neighborhood bar & grill that we frequent. I always have at least 1 drink there. But last night I had ginger ale with my dinner. It was awkward at first - I didn't even know what non-alcoholic drinks they had to choose from. And when I asked the server, she started listing off the beer & wine specials. :neutral: I should have prepared better, but I survived nonetheless. :smile:

Are you logging all your calories. Especially pop (soda), juice etc... so many calories in that. It's only been 5 days. It took me 2-3 weeks to start seeing a loss. It sucks but I had to really tell myself not to give up and look at the other benefits of not drinking to keep me motivated.
  • dbanks80
    Options

I have not been posting of late, but doing well at consciously limiting my wine and whiskey intake. Have had wine on only three occasions since New Years day, and only once was over consumption with poor control. I actually had a nice lunch with friends and had only one 5 ounce Merlot! Probably for the first time in my life, and it felt good, plus really savored that glass of wine. Win, Win!

Drastic reduction in alcohol has been huge for my weight loss, probably the most important element. Not drinking makes my calorie deficit not only possible, but easy. Have lost 27.6 lbs so far, with 8 lbs down since my birthday in mid December! Woo Hoo!

Just as positive are the savings. Roughly $75-$100 per week, starting to think about an extra trip this spring or summer with the savings. Maybe National Parks tour, while we still have some! LOL

If I can make this pattern the new normal it will mean a more healthy, happier life for my remaining years.

This thread has been great support and motivation, keep up the goid work. Thank you Julie!!

OMG you rock!!!!! That is sooooo awesome!! I agree with you I am trying to keep this mindset throughout the year going forward for a healthier, happier me!!!
  • springsweet
    Options

Are you logging all your calories. Especially pop (soda), juice etc... so many calories in that. It's only been 5 days. It took me 2-3 weeks to start seeing a loss. It sucks but I had to really tell myself not to give up and look at the other benefits of not drinking to keep me motivated.

I am, I'm probably just being impatient. ;) Thanks!
  • lonestarbabe
    lonestarbabe Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    1/21: No alcohol
    1/22: No alcohol
    1/23: :(
    1/24: :(
    1/25: No alcohol
    1/26
    1/27
    1/28
    1/29