Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am new to myfitnesspal, just started last week I Love it! Just saw this discussion and this is totally what I need.I have been drinking every night, I love wine. It is how I relax after the kids are asleep. And my hubby and I love to visit craft breweries. I am trying right now to limit drinking to weekends and that worked my first week. But I wasn't even happy about doing it on the weekend, especially wine. I have no control to stop once I have a glass. A lot of these posts sound like me. I like being able to lean on others going through the same things. I am going to try and enjoy a beer or two on the weekend, but right now I go to the gym and hit the treadmill. It has helped. And I like waking up without a headache!

Welcome!!!
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    erikNJ wrote: »
    So here is how my weekend went. Saturday I drank - a lot. Don’t feel bad about it cause I planned on this, and I was celebrating my teams playoff win!
    But the next day was tough. The hangover sucked. And when hungover i want to eat bad food. But i didnt. I hate healthy and stayed under calories.

I actually handled Sunday night well. I went to the concert and was handed a beer as soon as i walked in. I took two or three small sips and decided i didnt want to drink and put it down. Then i went out to two bars afterwards with people and didnt drink either. The last bar was kind of tough cause i get social anxiety in crowded bars and booze helps. But i just left that bar and went home

I feel for you. You did well at the bars afterwards. Small triumphs make you feel stronger. Hang in there !

Thanks. It’s really not very difficult for me. Sometimes i build up the difficulty in my head but when i get to the situation it’s very easy to say no.
    I have never had a problem with drinking. At most my worst weeks ever were drinking 2-3 nights a week. My issue is drinking those nights and eating terrible along with it. Then i negate the hard work i do all week. That’s why i am limiting myself to one weekend day and really watching the diet
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    katie5467 wrote: »
    Hi everyone, I haven't checked in since the beginning of Jan, but I'm on day 15 with no alcohol. It's been up and down, mostly with my stress levels but I've managed it and I've been out with friends and managed to stay away from drinking. I've found it easier to control my eating, and make better choices. Lost a little weight so far too :) I sleep better too, something I've struggled with for a very long time.
    I'm thinking of extending into Feb too, I really want to make a go of this weight loss in time for the summer. I feel like I've proved to myself that I can do this, that I don't need a drink after a stressful day or everytime I go out.
    Thanks to everyone commenting too, it really helps to know we're all in this together!

Congrats! I feel the same way about stress. Instead of uncorking some wine, I’m processing better and reaching for hot tea and a good book!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Oh yeah...another thing that is REALLY helping me get into tea drinking is that we bought one of these ELECTRIC tea pots:

https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-1-7-l-illuminated-glass-cordless-kettle-40865/-/A-15066824?sid=1806S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Appliances&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9028779&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrD-KJeOyLQPaDzke4rtKO-zwfng9ASrOLcMgs72AVy1Pr36Ile5gLQaAhFeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It makes tea (something kind of "meh" in my opinion up to this point) this comforting ritual...it is EASY (and safe with auto shut off)...and the blue light and bubbly sound kind of has this comforting effect on my brain like i am treating myself....sort of like when i uncork a bottle of wine.

Ive also bought many new types of tea to keep it more of a fun thing. Ive always like the "fortunes" on Yogi Tea.

Even my husband is joining in now. The most annoying wine i would drink was tgat LAST glass right before bed....like, a stupid waste of calories! So even on the nights ive had some wine i still finish with a comfort cup of tea now.

I'm going to buy two. Thanks for sharing this. I never saw one of these. I need one for work instead of boiling water in the morning and putting in a thermos for work. I also need one for my loft where I spend hours grading papers. It would be so nice to have it nearby. Great thinking! Price is reasonable, too.
  • jenifer7teen
    jenifer7teen Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah...another thing that is REALLY helping me get into tea drinking is that we bought one of these ELECTRIC tea pots:

https://www.target.com/p/hamilton-beach-1-7-l-illuminated-glass-cordless-kettle-40865/-/A-15066824?sid=1806S&ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Appliances+Shopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Appliances&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9028779&gclid=Cj0KCQiAv_HSBRCkARIsAGaSsrD-KJeOyLQPaDzke4rtKO-zwfng9ASrOLcMgs72AVy1Pr36Ile5gLQaAhFeEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

It makes tea (something kind of "meh" in my opinion up to this point) this comforting ritual...it is EASY (and safe with auto shut off)...and the blue light and bubbly sound kind of has this comforting effect on my brain like i am treating myself....sort of like when i uncork a bottle of wine.

Ive also bought many new types of tea to keep it more of a fun thing. Ive always like the "fortunes" on Yogi Tea.

Even my husband is joining in now. The most annoying wine i would drink was tgat LAST glass right before bed....like, a stupid waste of calories! So even on the nights ive had some wine i still finish with a comfort cup of tea now.

I'm going to buy two. Thanks for sharing this. I never saw one of these. I need one for work instead of boiling water in the morning and putting in a thermos for work. I also need one for my loft where I spend hours grading papers. It would be so nice to have it nearby. Great thinking! Price is reasonable, too.

You will definitely get your money's worth! I just recently used one and i was sold. It takes like 60 seconds to heat up....no thermos...no boiling over in microwave...no forgotten teapots on the stove..... enjoy!!! :)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Just watched this youtube. I think it was only six minutes long. The guy in it is energetic and positive. Says he started with a 30 day challenge like we're trying, and now he's at six years alcohol free. He gives some valid reasons for him and us to continue.
    *Last few minutes he speaks of his website where you can sign up for his challenge. Ignore that part;)

https://youtu.be/RwZ7Ekhs-Lk
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I’m back at it today! I worked out when I got home then had a sparkling water with lime while I made a delicious dinner! Salmon in the air fryer, roasted broccoli, honey glazed carrots, and mashed potatoes! Mmmmmm, there’s leftovers too but I can’t take the salmon to work and stink up the whole office :neutral:

Hope everyone had a great Monday!
  • bdbchick
    bdbchick Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    On day 16 of no drinking and drinking hasn't even crossed my mind for the most part. I'm going to be having alot of dental stuff being done in the next month so I won't able to drink anyway, which makes it easier.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    7 days down - 44 to go.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    You all are doing so well! I didn't have a great week last week but I feel good about this week moving forward.

I'm about 7 chapters in to TNM but I haven't picked it up in about a week. I'll have to get back into it.

I know there are some NA beers out there, but does anyone know of any good NA craft beers? I don't really like the taste of regular beer and sometimes I genuinely crave the taste of a good craft beer (contrary to what Annie Grace says).

Happy Week 3, everyone!

Did you ever try O'Duells?
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    @MaryBethHempel I love seeing your log. I like your comments, too. I am so proud of you. That's not easy in any way to survive the first few days especially when you are arguing with yourself over whether to have one or not. (At least that's what I was doing). Great job abstaining and I know you are feeling better every day that you do. Proud of you!

Back to you Julie...Thank you and love seeing your comments. They always are an inspiration! :)
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @MaryBethHempel I love your updates, in particular the one today! You are inspiring!

I am doing well abstaining and my hubby is very supportive of whatever I want to do...dry or damp for January, and to continue afterwards if I want. He does drink craft beers, but very moderately. Only 1 or 2 per night, and not every night of the week. It doesn't bother me at all that he has a beer or two while I'm abstaining, which I thought at first it might. I've found that with changing my habit of settling down in the evening with a glass of wine, along with having read This Naked Mind, the desire to have any alcohol at all is pretty much gone at this point.

I'm curious if you all have the support of others in your life while you are doing the dry or damp January? This thread is tremendously inspiring, but I'm finding it very helpful to also have the love and encouragement from my hubby as well.
  • mamashakesit
    mamashakesit Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 15 - in the bag.....I have to admit that a drink has been on my mind more than i would like it to be....can I ever be in a state where I dont even think about it...maybe some day soon....reading up on all of your updates and how awesome you are doing, keep at it

I think it takes about 30-45 days for the desire of it to sort of dissipate, and to get used to not having it around. I would say it took me a good 90 days for my emotions to level out. But I drank an average of about 7 beers a night, probably with a whiskey nip in there, too. So I think I was going through some real brain chemical changes. But once you get there, you look back and wonder how you drank every night.

This thread has made me feel pretty good on making it to 7 months; it's a reminder of how tough it was in the beginning, and how I don't want to have to do that again in a couple years.