Less alcohol- January 2018- one day at a time

Options

Replies

• NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    Day 19 in the bag, no temptations, helps that I am fighting flu and dont feel like a drink.

Last night I was planning my big binge. I have been eating very clean, no junk at all. I am thinking that on Super Bowl Day Feb 4 I will go all out and eat and drink all I want. I suspect that within 30 minutes of starting I will be puking my guts out. Anyway, I want wings and pizza and ice cream and pie and IPA on Feb 4. Send donations
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    NormInv wrote: »
    Day 19 in the bag, no temptations, helps that I am fighting flu and dont feel like a drink.

Last night I was planning my big binge. I have been eating very clean, no junk at all. I am thinking that on Super Bowl Day Feb 4 I will go all out and eat and drink all I want. I suspect that within 30 minutes of starting I will be puking my guts out. Anyway, I want wings and pizza and ice cream and pie and IPA on Feb 4. Send donations

Sounds like a nice Super Bowl!!!

Hope you get well soon!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,285 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    NormInv wrote: »

Sounds like a nice Super Bowl!!!

Hope you get well soon!

Thank you :)
  • Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    A chellenge question,....

What do people drink in stead of alcohol.. ?

I have so far been able to help my self with the drinking social group i live with by buying drinks with the alcohol taken out of it. They think and i feel im having it at the time. Im just better off.. that all im finding out. ☺
  • MichelleWithMoxie
    MichelleWithMoxie Posts: 1,818 Member
    Options
    Alzzi76 wrote: »

I have so far been able to help my self with the drinking social group i live with by buying drinks with the alcohol taken out of it. They think and i feel im having it at the time. Im just better off.. that all im finding out. ☺

I just do water, or sometimes coffee
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    Options

Tea, coffee, club soda in a wine glass (If I'm eating out).
  • SanDiegofitmom
    SanDiegofitmom Posts: 303 Member
    Options

Sparkling water w lime, tea, coffee

• Alzzi76
    Alzzi76 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Went to dinner party w people I don’t know. Wine was flowing and looked tempting but I didn’t have any. I still had fun :)

Good job!!.. u did it!!. <3o:)
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options

Water for me.
  • MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    dbanks80 wrote: »
    My list of things I've noticed since I've stopped binge drinking/smoking. I am typing this out so I can reflect back on it when the temptation to binge drink occurs.

No hot flashes or night sweats
    No mood swings
    I'm more patient
    No depression
    Sleep better and deeper
    Wake up refreshed
    My workouts are more efficient
    My digestive system is better
    No bloated belly
    Weight loss
    No conviction and beating myself up because of a binge
    More conscious of my eating and making healthier choices
    Not wasting the day away by sleeping because of a hangover

So worth it to have a better life. I bet that you are much happier also!

• MaryBethHempel
    MaryBethHempel Posts: 513 Member
    Options

Goal — January under 7 drinks a week- for my health.....my mind.....my body....Freedom from alcohol ruling my life!

1/1 =alcohol free
    1/2 = 4 wine spritzers
    1/3 =alcohol free
    1/4 =alcohol free
    1/5 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine....I wasn't tempted, which was great!
    1/6 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine
    1/7 =alcohol free while my husband must of drank almost 2 bottles of wine-I copy and paste! Rerun! :) I feel that now I don't even want one drink as it is never enough...I always want more! I will see how long I can be FREE from alcohol. Losing weight and feeling great!
    1/8 =DITTO...I slept better last night--had an Atkins bar around 8...maybe that was it...I also had to go to my guest room again for my husbands snoring started again! :)
    1/9 =DITTO and lost another pound---Wow! 7 days alcohol FREE!! This is the longest I have gone for years!
    1/10 =8 days freedom
    1/11 =9 days freedom- looking forward to reading my new books...This Naked Mind and Blackout-Remembering The Things I Drank to Forget...
    1/12 =10 days clean! My hubby only drank during the day, not last night. He didn't snore last night, so I didn't have to go to our guest room to sleep. Read the first 2 1/2 chapters of This Naked Mind and finding it interesting.
    1/13 =11 Days freedom! It is actually getting easier at this point...I just ordered some liver detox....
    1/14 =12 Days freedom! It really helps to have all you on MFP for support! Thank you all!! :)
    1/15 =13 days---Wow! I am finally sleeping in my own bed now because my husband cuts off his drinking at night and he doesn't snore so loud to make me go into our guest room! LOL! He didn't like me going into the guest room, so he cut down... :)
    1/16 =14 days freedom! 2 weeks!! YAY! I have to note how yesterday was a bit interesting when my hubby just bottle a bunch of wine and said to me, "Taste this, it is better than the usual Concord that we make". I told him immediately that I was just drinking green tea and it wouldn't taste good. I was so glad that I was drinking tea, as I would have been tempted to taste it. I feel that if it happens again that I am prepared now and will decline. I am going to tell him today not even to ask me to taste. :)

1/17 =15th day freedom! Had another great morning of working out...ready to play some music!
    1/18 =16th day freedom! I am going for a month!! I joined the "Alcohol Experiment" Super informational...I have been just reading and listening..this weekend I am going to start writing in the journal. I recommend this to you all, if just to read and listen to all the interesting information.
    1/19 =17th day- my husband drank through the day until bedtime and I had to go to the guest room to sleep because he snored again. A definite pattern of loud snoring when he drinks wine at night. I caught up in the "Alcohol Experiment" yesterday and started writing in it. It really is helping me in so many ways. I feel blessed to have the opportunity to be able to go through it, and I highly recommend it. There is no pressure about your alcohol intake.
    1/20 =
    1/21 =
    1/22 =
    1/23 =
    1/24 =
    1/25 =
    1/26 =
    1/27 =
    1/28 =
    1/29 =
    1/30 =
    1/31
  • kcn2bluesky
    kcn2bluesky Posts: 187 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

I have a variety of teas I have been enjoying. I make a cup of tea and a snack around 4pm, just before I leave work. That has helped tremendously with not wanting a glass of wine when I get home. My favorite flavor this week has been Caramel Chai. Really good and satisfying!

The other day, my daughter and I shared some sparkling cider. Had mine in a wine glass and it was pretty awesome! :smiley:

If we go out to eat, I have iced tea.

It's been fun to broaden the variety of what I am drinking! I am thinking seriously on purchasing one of those tea pots mentioned earlier in the thread. I'd like to have that at work.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options

At home: water, fresca, licorice tea. Out: club soda with bitters. (bitters technically has alcohol (as do many foods), but a splash has virtually none)
  • erikNJ
    erikNJ Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Dry January has turned in to damp January for me. I went the first two weeks without, then finished the rest of our rum last weekend (probably three mixed drinks Saturday and Sunday). Today on the way home from work I bought a 6 pack of one of my favorite local IPA’s to indulge this weekend. I don’t know quite how I feel about it yet but I have cut back so much this month that ether way it’s a great thing. I really want to keep moderating past this month and continue my healthy habits. I’m glad to have this thread to talk it out a bit and know I’m not alone.

Nothing wrong with that at all. Not everyone here is strictly dry, and that’s what I like about the support here. Sounds like you are making great progress and you made some conscious decisions about what you wanted to do.
    I can’t wait to see this group keep going
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited January 2018
    Options
    @kittybenn Congrats on Day 20! Good for you! I really should start putting money in a jar, too.

Last night at a restaurant , my friend order Chardonnay. I looked at it longingly , but I really didn't have a taste for it. For me, it's the ritual, the glass, the first sip is so relaxing. The people I were with just drank one glass of wine each. I had club soda, but the bartender put it in a pretty glass, with a fancy toothpick and a few decorative lime pieces. I was really surprised; it was thoughtful to make a soda look so good. When the people ordered wine, I basically apologized and said "I'll just have a club soda". I felt like explaining to everyone at the table, 'sorry, I"m not drinking, I'm doing dry January..." Next time, I'll just confidently say "Ill have a club soda! ". Period. Xoxo
  • kittybenn
    kittybenn Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    For me, it's the ritual, the glass, the first sip is so relaxing.

@JulieAL1969 Exactly - I'm realizing the same thing. It's the social aspect, the pretty glass, the limes, the bubbles. I'm finding I'm ok with something other than wine being in that glass. Congrats on all your success -- your commitment is amazing and inspiring!